Motivation

Options
Andrezia
Andrezia Posts: 33 Member
It's the summer and my daughter is out of school. So I decided to take her to Orlando for a trip to Universal Islands of Adventure theme park. The first ride that I went on was so uncomfortable, I could not even lean back in the seat because my back could not fit. The next ride that my boyfriend was dying to go on--the Harry Potter roller coaster dueling dragons--was a no go because they have test seats outside the ride that says try this out and if you cannot buckle the harness you cannot ride the ride. Well guess waht, I could not get the harness to buckle. How embarassing! I cannot begin to explain how mortified I felt. He decided that if I could not ride it then we would just go to the next ride. Granted I was able to ride some of the other rides but with a degree of discomfort. Overall I felt ashamed, embarrassed and I just new that my man was feeling the same way too. He has not said anything nor brought it up that's just me making an assumption. On top of all of that I could not keep up with them--after awhile my feet were hurting and my back was aching. All I could think of was leaving when no one else wanted to. I kept going because they wanted to stay but deep down I was ready to leave. I just couldn't take it anymore. My saving grace was the afternoon thunderstorm that came about. At that moment everyone was ready to go. I was both thankful and disgusted. I had fun but I had my eyes opened even more. Each day when I feel like making a less healthy choice or skipping that workout I'll think about that roller coaster that I cannot ride because I am too fat...

Replies

• Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I had a similar situation as a child. There was a pony ride at the fair, and I really wanted to do that. After waiting for about an hour, I get to the front. The fair worker looked me up and down, looked at my mom, and said, "Um, the weight limit is 105 pounds." I obviously was over 105 pounds. My mom tried to play it off and distracted me to another ride, but I realized what just happened.

Most of my motivating moments have been from negative experiences. Every time I want to stop in the middle of a workout, I think about those people that said I couldn't, or that I would never. Especially during kickboxing, for obvious reasons :P
  • tamikawoodson
    tamikawoodson Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I know we have all been where you are at some point in our lives. My motivation was knowing that I had to wear my son's football jersey for his senior night during football this past fall. I managed to lose 10 pounds but still had to wear spanks to look half way decent in the jersey. I will be posting pictures of my journey later this week and hope it can motivate someone to keep reaching for their goal. Just reading your post, I'm more determined to stay on my path and do what I can to help others as well. We CAN AND WILL SUCCEED!!
  • FrecklesAndLocs
    FrecklesAndLocs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine how upsetting this has been for you. The courage it has taken for you to share this is brave and amazing. Thank you for being open and honest and taking the time to share. That pain will be a great motivator.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling friend! I work at six flags get in the park free and they have special ride nights. Yet I never use either of those things because I am pretty sure I can't get on anything and I wouldn't even dare try for fear of total embarrassment I keep this as my motivation.
  • Chrisy2013
    Options
    I can honestly say I have experienced the something similar. About a year ago when I was flying to the UK I was on a plane and before take off the flight attendants would come check to make sure everyone seat belts were fastened. I was so embarrassed that my seat belt wouldn't buckle so I tried to hide it with my blanket, but one of the attendants asked me to lift it to make sure it was fastened and it wasn't and I couldn't. So very loudly she yelled to the front and said we need a extension piece for this person. So we had to wait for the other attendant to bring it, everyone was looking at me and I was very ashamed. Instead of me taking that experience and have it as the start of my lifestyle change I ate more and gained about 30 more pounds. Recently though I've made the decision to take the first step to my new life and I feel so much better about myself, and I'm happy I have taken the next steps in my lifestyle.......Thanks for sharing with us.!