Ewwwww get it away get it awaaaaaaaaay!!!!

Options
mercurysfire
mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
Everyone has a food they hate. I'm not fond of breen leafies much beyond lettuce. Well, spinach I guess if i have to. Kale can burn in He**. ugh. i have learned to eat baby carrots minus the salad dressing. broccoli....how i despise thee to the very core of my being. Gorgeous to look at, but such a hateful smell when cooked.

I know I'm not the only one with a grudge against a food. Please, prove me right. Pretty please....

Here's the fun part (posted in Work it Girls.) If you have an irresistable recipe for any food listed in this topic thread, please post it. Help someone (read: me :blushing: ) get over a food-hate with some fabulous (HEALTHY- NO 2 STICKS OF BUTTER RECIPES PLEASE) recipe that's tried and true in your very own household.

Replies

• GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Eggs.
    I cannot stand them.
    I hate the smell of them.
    I hate the texture of them.
    With the exception of hard boiled, I hate the flavor of them- and even with hard boiled I wont eat the yolk.

I've had them scrambled, as a frittata, as an omlette, hard boiled, with cheese, with meat...you name it.
    I never get beyond one bite and more often than not, I don't swallow what I just tasted- instant gag.
  • LiterateParakeet
    Options
    I love what you said in the other post about food that "wronged you in another life" ha ha

Brussel sprouts wronged me in another in life.

Celery is just gross...stringy. Yuck, who came up with the idea to eat that?!
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Celery here too. Any celery, cooked, raw, dipped... whatever. Just no...

I also have issues with tofu. Tried it and just don't get it.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OMG Brussel Sprouts!! I pride myself in liking just about every single kind of veggie and fruit out there but give me brussel sprouts and you will see me shrink into the darkness of the next room *blink blink*...they're just...just...so...wrong...what is it? I mean they look like tiny cabbages...and I like cabbage...but...just...no:noway:

MercurysFire...I'll be posting a recipe that I cooked last night that might, just might be having you singing a different tune about kale;) :huh: no really...even my hubby enjoyed this one with seconds! (and he's a sworn kale hater).
  • katonaroof
    katonaroof Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    so, ashlay, can you do broccoli raw? (ie, no cooked smell). i love it with a good hummus!

brussel sprouts - i've heard of a good recipe for them that involves cooking them in a pan, not boiling them - yuck! i'll see if i can find it - i'm pretty sure it was one of the food network chefs.

& have you tried kale in a smoothie - hear it's pretty good.

not very much help here....

the only food i can think of that i hate is olives - they are just way too salty for me and gross texture. i think they wronged me in this life - my supposition is that either my mother ate too many olives when she was pregnant with us (i'm a twin & my twin also hates olives yet everyone else in the family loves them) or didn't eat them at all! either way, i just hate them... and if i happen to miss picking one out of a salad (that they forgot to not put in), as soon as it hits my mouth, my whole face whinces & shivers. don't think there's much you can do with olives & i'm okay with not liking them as i don't feel that there's much nutritional value, yet i'm open to ideas!
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    i have to agree on the brussels sprouts too. tastes like some farted in a gym sock. but they are kinda cute.

gabybaby- as far as eggs- i eat a lot of hard boiled ones. good protein and fats- a good whole food. sometimes though, i crack one in quinoa. it doesn't really taste like anything to me and you can make it sweet (oh yum) or savory (double yum). it boosts the protein count a little without a ton of calories.

i chicken out when it comes to broccoli. next time i see it raw, i will try some. i will really really try to open to it not being horrible. it's like eating a little tree right? i like trees. although i've never tried to eat one.

caeli- i did make gumbo z'herb once (green gumbo) because i got a ton of greens (including kale) from the farm-to-work csa thing. i mean like 3 peices of fruit and 20 pounds of greens. :angry: not what i was expecting. and they already had my money. it took us an entire week to eat it- hubs refused after day 4. but it was pretty good and i didn't mind the greens so much in that. i chopped them up pretty good and used a lot of spice. but i'm a big fan of gumbo anyway. make me a kale believer sarah!!!

kat- have you ever tried muffalettas? they use a green olive spread on the bread. i'm not an olive eater either, but this was a good introduction to them. you have to find something that the briny taste works well with. muffalettas aren't exactly healthy, buuuut they are tasty. and they just aren't the same without the olive spread...
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    for me it's oatmeal. I can force it down more or less but no matter how I doctor it up it remains just ew. I am not sure if t's the mushy texture or the taste or both. I can eat dry oats right out of the container all day but cook em and it's just YUCK! The other day I even went as far as adding about 1.5 handfuls of M&M's to my half cup of cooked oats thinking maybe that would work. it was ok but I still just didn't care for i. I don't mind eating the instant oatmeal however. But I know the are not healthy with their preservatives and sugar! I eat eggs most days but every once in a while I feel lazy or just want something different. Oat meal is quick easy and cheap. Just wish I actually liked it! I have also tried cocoa powder in the past and adding fruit to it none of those worked either.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Mercury- OMG you had the CSA veggie dump too!! we had that happen to us last year which led to us not doing it again this year. We just could not get through all the lettuce, greens and squash that they kept giving us week after week for the whole summer. I was like barf:sick: ...we actually started to give our paid for food away because we couldn't stand to eat it anymore!!

OK, here's the recipe for the kale: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/bacon-butternut-pasta-50400000118579/ the only thing that I would suggest doing (which we did also) is add some madeira or some other white wine to the sauce, and some italian seasoning (we used Emerils and the squeeze stuff from the veggie section in the super market). Other than that...yummo!! Oh and for the pasta we used the veggie stuff cause we kinda bought out the store when they went on sale...we are hiding our daughter's veggies sometimes since she's definitely a meat eater, lol.

AvalonsUnicorn- Have you tried getting the QuickOats and making your own "Instant Oatmeal" with splenda and cinnamon and stuff? We make my daughter oatmeal all the time using splenda and cinnamon...sometimes raisins, sometimes dried blueberries. If you wanted you could even use the splenda brown sugar mix and make it even richer tasting but its still better than the straight packaged instant oatmeal. The QuickOats are basically the same as the instant oatmeal just in a big container.
    OH! On Monday I put small pieces of strawberries in with the oats, a packet of splenda, a good dash of cinnamon, a small dash of ginger and cardamom and water (of course)...placed it in the microwave and when it came out the strawberries had cooked into the oats so it came out all creamy...I actually had a bite of it before turning it over to my daughter to eat...it was SO GOOD! And it was the consistency of instant oatmeal...

Ok, turning it over to others;) gotta get back to work! haha!
  • Determined518
    Determined518 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Green Beans. EEwwww.

Aslo, I HATE seafood in any form. I have always wanted to like it but I just cannot get past the smell and texture and grossness. :(
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    gabybaby- as far as eggs- i eat a lot of hard boiled ones. good protein and fats- a good whole food. sometimes though, i crack one in quinoa. it doesn't really taste like anything to me and you can make it sweet (oh yum) or savory (double yum). it boosts the protein count a little without a ton of calories.

I love love LOVE quinoa! I have it as a breakfast porridge sometimes or as a rice replacement. Its great stuff. I'll try dropping one into the quinoa like a fried rice type meal. Maybe with some other strong flavors and broken into VERY small bits, I wont taste it.
    *shudder*
  • mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I thought about it. I hate mango. I do not like fresh mangoes, I do not like mango flavored ice cream or mango flavored anything. Do not like their smell or their texture. (I do think they have a pretty color though.) I do not like olives either. But reading the above post, I love brussel spouts. I do think they smell yucky when they are cooking, but if you add onion it isn't as bad. I also like fresh brussel spouts in salads. you slice them up raw. It adds flavor to an ordinary salad.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    for me it's oatmeal. I can force it down more or less but no matter how I doctor it up it remains just ew. I am not sure if t's the mushy texture or the taste or both. I can eat dry oats right out of the container all day but cook em and it's just YUCK! The other day I even went as far as adding about 1.5 handfuls of M&M's to my half cup of cooked oats thinking maybe that would work. it was ok but I still just didn't care for i. I don't mind eating the instant oatmeal however. But I know the are not healthy with their preservatives and sugar! I eat eggs most days but every once in a while I feel lazy or just want something different. Oat meal is quick easy and cheap. Just wish I actually liked it! I have also tried cocoa powder in the past and adding fruit to it none of those worked either.

Steel cut oats has a very different texture if you don't like the regular...might be worth a try. I'll eat cooked oats with lots of raisins or dried dates to sweeten things up. Of course, there's always a big slab of butter and lots of brown sugar, but we don't want to go there!
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    i had never thought about just using b-sprouts as salad greens. it's a simple yet brilliant idea i mean after all they are just little heads of leaves. i've tried them boiled, roasted and pan sauted and just never got past the image in my brain when biting into them. so tear them apart. :) thanks misty.

slim- can you cook steel cut in the microwave without making a huge mess? i usually make the quick oats but let it soak in the fridge overnight and cook it at work. i would love to try the steel cut to see if it satisfies my hunger a little better....

avalon- i have never tried dry oats. i love granola, and that's basically oats right? i think i have another thing to try now....

gabybaby- if you need a good protein source (and i this goes for everyone :bigsmile: ) greek yogurt. the fat free is pretty good and a cup is the same protein as a serving of chicken breast. and holy cow it will fill you up. so if you just can't stomach eggs, give this a try. and there's 1 kajillion ways to dress it up.
  • goodmorningglory
    Options
    I second that Celery is a misguided, ill-thought torture! I've thrown away my celery salt! Do they make a powder that is no sodium? hmmmm, I wonder!
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    ok so i tried jackfruit and palm toddy (whatever that means.) it was...not terrible. but was really just sweet, but not much else. the texture was a little weird and not really what i expected. i was kind of expecting canned peach texture. it was a lot firmer. and kind of slippery. i mixed it with lemon flavored yogurt and some low fat granola. it was palatable, but still not blowing my hair back.

apprently young jackfruit can be used as a vegetarian meant substitute. i think i might like that better. i found a yummy sounding recipe for jackfruit carnitas that i might have to bust out.

i still havent tried the rombutan stuffed with pineapple. i also saw frozen durian fruit at the chinese market. i've wanted to try it for a while but i don't want to stink up the house. i'm curious to see how something that is supposed to smell so awful can supposedly taste like heaven.... a conundrum wrapped in an enigma.

i think i'm going to make some hummus this weekend and try broccoli. i'm in a daring mood....