Outside vs indoor track

Options
kar328
kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
Me the non-runner started the C25K program on the treadmill. Did a run a week outside in the beginning and wanted to die. Somewhere around week 4 that changed and I ran the rest of the program outdoors. I don't seem to be able to do it on the treadmill. With the disgustingly humid weather and the non-likeable idea of running outside in the winter looming, I just joined a new gym nearby that opened last week. They have an indoor track. I've gone yesterday and today and ran a mile and a half mile. Not sure if I'm having trouble because it's a new place or what. Anyone else find this a problem?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yes. This is a common problem. It's a whole different style of running. Like any major change in your running, you'll need to back off for awhile and let yourself adapt.

Also, one thing that gets me through treadmill runs in having a fan blow directly on me. The air moving over my body makes it feel less like a run to nowhere.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I wish there was an indoor track here. Tracks, pavement, treadmills, there are all different surfaces. Tracks are sort of a mix of pavement meets trail, as in it has some cushion from footfalls. With any change in surface you have to take your time and build back up.

That being said...don't be scared to run during winter. The secret to winter running is layers. Invest in the thermals, get some gloves, etc... Don't be afraid to break out of your comfort zone and into the unknown, some of my best runs were ran in situations that I had never been in before.

Remember, surface changes means shift in running and it will take time to build your tolerance back up again.
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Personally, I could have never made it through the first 8 weeks of C25K on a treadmill or running indoors. I like to switch up the route that I run outdoors so I don't get bored with my surroundings and feel like a hamster running in circles. Changing my route also prevents me from looking at the milestones and knowing how much longer I have left. I just get lost in the music on my I-pod and hear the halfway done and 1 minute left announcements. I also prefer to run early mornings before the sun is up and before there is a lot of traffic so I don't have to stop at every corner and wait for traffic to clear.

Hopefully your weather breaks so you can get outside and run in the fresh air again.
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona and I always run outside but even running in AZ at 5:30 am is insanely hot. One morning I decide to try the indoor track. I felt that physically it was easier than running outside but I got bored at the end. It may be the monotony of going in circles that made it more difficult for you? I would try and put some new music on my mp3 player/phone to help energize me.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Can you believe that there are actually races where you compete to run around a track as many times as possible in a 12 hour period?
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I actually started my c25k training on the treadmill. But in week 4 i moved it outside because I was getting bored and feeling like a hamster. I have been training outside ever since. I did have to go back to the treadmill to complete one of my days because it was just to smokey to run outside. And I did what someone else mentioned, I had to turn the fan on so I could feel better. I did the run, and did complete it, but I do have to say outside running is much better.
    I don't have a gym with a track near me so I don't know what that would be like, but I can see if you are struggling. just take a few steps back in your training and go from there Train for longer distances on the track. that might help.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and POVs. I think part of it was boredom, although they do change the running direction each day. Depending what lane you're in it's 10.2-11.7 laps/mile. I think the idea of doing 20 of them got me. I probably do need new music, looking at some of those playlists that have certain beats per minute. Outside I find I'm more in tune with the scenery, trying not to step on a snake etc. The temperature is much nicer, of course.

I'll get used to it, it's nice to have another option for the bad weather, I will probably try it outside in colder weather, but not with snow or ice on the ground.