caffeine!!!

Options
So I recently discovered that less than 200 mg a day of caffeine is considered safe during pregnancy. Why have I been denying myself it for the last 5 months? I have also read some interesting literature on whether or not caffeine can suppress of increase appetite. Given my "always hungry" pregnant state, I am curious if drinking a little caffeine during the day would curb some of those ravenous cravings. Of course, I know that caffeine is a diuretic, so that means additional water intake. Has anyone found that caffeine revs up your appetite or curbs it?

Note: I am not trying to lose weight, pregnancy is not the time for that. However, I am trying to keep my weight from skyrocketing. I think we can all relate to that.

Replies

• Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I personally don't drink any and I didn't with my last pregnancy either. I don't think that it is good for the baby and hate the idea of my baby getting used to the caffeine and then not having it after birth. My midwife also told me that she highly rec that I stop drinking any because she has seen negative effects.

If you are hungry all the time listen to your body, I went through that in different phases of pregnancy also and I would just make healthy choices. You can eat a lot of salad or veggies that will fill you up and I think that those are better choices than caffeine. Eat if you are hungry but make the food choices good ones (which I admit is much less fun than what I am really craving!). However, that is just my 2 cents and what works for me. Good luck!
  • Jem411
    Jem411 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I drink a tiny bit of coffee almost every morning. My Doc has basically said it is fine as long as you aren't drinking a pot of coffee each day (not that I would even get close to that). I also don't drink any other kinds of caffeine, so I feel pretty okay about it. I did the same thing with my son who is now 4 and he is a very happy and healthy little dude. He was also wonderful as a newborn/baby. So I say, go for it!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Coffee has always filled me up--reg or decaf! I drank only decaf for the first 16 weeks or so. Now, I drink regular a couple times a week. If I have regular I make sure to abstain from chocolate or anything else caffeinated for the rest of the day.

Honestly, a homemade iced decaf fills me up as much as a regular. Placebo? Maybe. But I'll take it! Hot coffee--only regular does fe trick (I'm a purist with regular, it's gotta be fresh ground beans, French press, black....I add crap to iced.)
  • irishastoria
    irishastoria Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 7 cups of coffee a day. SEVEN. Yes, I know that sounds insane, but I really like the taste of coffee (it is even my go to ice cream flavor) specifically, not just the caffeine. And it was the only caffeined beverage I drink since I am not a big soda drinker.

So my doctor has had me ease down to 200-500mg with a daily scale-back--you can't cut that much caffeine intact down cold turkey, apparently doing so would be worse since you can go into legitimate withdrawal. I am down to two cups of half caf a day after 6 weeks, which my doctor has said is perfectly fine for the remainder of my pregnancy.. The science about the impact of caffeine in pregnancy is unconclusive in general, so don't stress yourself out too much.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I do drink a mug of caffeinated tea close to daily, but I try not to overdo it. Like any drug baby doesn't need it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've been terrible on the sodas and have discovered Dr. Pepper is the lowest in caffeine.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee a day also.. I think as long as you don't over do it, it should be ok. One cup has around 100-200mg of caffeine so it's within the guideline.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I remember talking to a friend about it, who was pregnant. Her doc's response was "people have been drinking tea and coffee for literally thousands of years. It's fine." That put it in perspective for me. I'm honestly more concerned about the other crap in our foods than some good old fashioned tea or coffee.

It's hard times we live in, to be pregnant (especially in America). During my moms first pregnancy (41 yrs ago) she was advised to enjoy her cigarettes and alcohol if it helped her to relax. Literally the only change she made during pregnancy was that she saw her doctor regularly. She had 3 healthy, happy kids. She is shocked at all the "rules of pregnancy" now. And honestly, my doctor dismisses many of them too. Both he and my reproductive endocrinologist say things like....if it makes you feel better sleep on your left side, eat only organic, don't go near your cat, etc... but overall it probably won't make a difference.
  • MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cups a day and don't feel bad about it.
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    Well, I'm not going to feel bad about having a daily sugar free chai tea latte then. There is only about 35mg of caffeine in it.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have been a caffeine hound since age 16, but I have a coffee aversion during pregnancy, crazily enough.

I am not overly cautious about many of the pregnancy rules. If it's healthy/harmless when you're not pregnant, it can't be that bad to do when you're pregnant. Soft cheese, here I come.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have been a caffeine hound since age 16, but I have a coffee aversion during pregnancy, crazily enough.

I am not overly cautious about many of the pregnancy rules. If it's healthy/harmless when you're not pregnant, it can't be that bad to do when you're pregnant. Soft cheese, here I come.

lol, exactly :) I'm supposed to eat my egg yolks fully cooked.. but all I've had are soft ones! And sushi is delicious too although I've been making sure they use fish that had been frozen to kill parasites :) I always think some of these pregnancy eating rules are crazy.. I love brie too!
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I still have a cup every morning and it helps me stay (TmI) regular which helps with my nausea and any other issues having to do with not being regular. I drank caffeine with my son and he turned out perfectly healthy and had no issues afterwards :) and he hates the taste of coffee might I add lol He got a sip of my cold coffee behind my back the other day and was not a fan lol
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    LOL - I've "bad" too. Blue cheese, hoagies (what we call Italian subs in Philadelphia), feta. I drink a cup of coffee everyday because my doctor told me that it will help keep my headaches at bay.

Hey, I think about these ladies who gave birth and didn't even know they were pregnant. They must've been eating hoagies, right?
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hey, I think about these ladies who gave birth and didn't even know they were pregnant. They must've been eating hoagies, right?

If I managed to not know I was pregnant, hoagies would be the least of my concerns. My heart would be sinking thinking about All. That. Beer.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options

If I managed to not know I was pregnant, hoagies would be the least of my concerns. My heart would be sinking thinking about All. That. Beer.

Yeah, I know. You think about everything they were eating/drinking/doing.
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I also denied myself for about 5 months until I started getting massive headaches. my midwife suggested I have some coffee to help and sure enough my headaches has almost stopped. I only drink it now when I feel a headache coming on or every once in a while when I go out for breakfast. I think everyone might be different so not sure on if it will curb your apetite or not. I wouldn't feel okay drinking it every day, but some wont kill you.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee every morning to help prevent migraines. Other than that i try not to have more than 2 cups of any caffeinated drink per day.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Only thing my DR told me was no more Monster. But a single diet coke every day was fine. That is approximately 47mg of caffeine. I pretty much quit in the 1st trimester but now Im back to almost daily.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    So I recently discovered that less than 200 mg a day of caffeine is considered safe during pregnancy. Why have I been denying myself it for the last 5 months? I have also read some interesting literature on whether or not caffeine can suppress of increase appetite. Given my "always hungry" pregnant state, I am curious if drinking a little caffeine during the day would curb some of those ravenous cravings. Of course, I know that caffeine is a diuretic, so that means additional water intake. Has anyone found that caffeine revs up your appetite or curbs it?

Note: I am not trying to lose weight, pregnancy is not the time for that. However, I am trying to keep my weight from skyrocketing. I think we can all relate to that.

I drink two cups or <200mg a day and did so during my first and now second pregnancy. I don't think it's an issue as long as it's not excessive and yes, admittedly part of the reason I drink coffee is to help with my appetite (which is insane right now).