Sodium issue?

Options
alabelle1
alabelle1 Posts: 31 Member
Hi There- I was just curious if anyone has a problem with sodium, I cant seem to budge my weight and it even goes up a little and all i can figure is maybe too much sodium? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated..
Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I always have a problem with sodium and water retention. My solution is to eat more potassium-rich foods to offset it. Supplementation also works.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you are eating unprocessed foods then sodium should be no issue. I put natural sea salt on all my food, lots of it, and that actually helps my health. There's a big difference between the refined salt used in processed foods and natural salt.

Personally, I wouldn't think it was salt IF you are not eating processed foods or using table salt. There are other factors. Do you eat enough? Do you eat enough healthy fat? Do you eat too many carbs, especially from fruit?

(Had a look at your diary. You have your macro settings excellent imo. The only criticism I have is that there is a lot of processed dairy and processed meats. I haven't completely given up dairy but it is has been my goal to do since last year. I will be quitting dairy as soon as my current carton of cream is gone. (I just got back from vacay, which is why nothing is logged for a few weeks, but I'm back at it since Sunday so feel free to look). I love dairy, but it is my opinion that pasteurized, commercial dairy products definitely impede ideal health including weight loss. I limit processed meat very much-just bacon but if fresh side pork were available in my town I would buy that instead.)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yike! Yeah, lots of processed meats will do that to you. Definitely try non-deli meats.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    The CDC just came out and said something that many of us who have been paying attention to the data have known for a while. Too low sodium intake can be as much of a problem as too high. And what was considered too high by CDC previously was a much too low setting. It appears that you should actually be somewhere between 2500 and 7000 mg of sodium. Note that low sodium intake impacts insulin sensitivity, which should be a significant concern for all who are eating low carb, paleo, primal type diets as well anyone who is overweight, has high blood pressure, etc.

This story summarizes the CDC report and provides links to the CDC statements on the topic: http://preventdisease.com/news/13/062113_CDC-Admits-Long-Standing-Error-in-Medical-Science-There-Is-No-Benefit-In-Reducing-Salt-Intake-May-Even-Be-Dangerous.shtml?utm_source=062113&utm_campaign=062113&utm_medium=email.

note that just like many other things primal/paleo, there is good and bad salt. Avoid industrial produced iodized salts and find more naturally occurring salts. Himalayan pink rock salt in a salt grinder is a great choice.
  • asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    note that just like many other things primal/paleo, there is good and bad salt. Avoid industrial produced iodized salts and find more naturally occurring salts. Himalayan pink rock salt in a salt grinder is a great choice.

A good recommendation, but the only thing I would caution people to be aware of is to make sure their iodine intake does not drop too low. The amount of iodine in iodized table salt is pretty measly compared to what the body truly needs, but at least it's something. I found when I removed the processed foods from my diet AND the processed iodized salt, I started to feel lethargic and "unwell" after about 6-8 months. I researched and tinkered around, and it was after I started supplementing with iodine that I started to feel like a champ again! Unless you are eating seaweed at every meal, it is likely that everyone could benefit from iodine supplementation regardless of whether or not you are eating iodized table salt - but could particularly be an issue if that source is removed from your diet.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    This is a great point about iodine. I am not recommending avoiding iodized salts due to that. The issue with the typical Morton's iodized salt is that it is factory refined until it is nothing but socium chloride and iodine. There's lots of great minerals in less refined, more naturally occurring salts.

And iodine supplement is probably a great idea.There's a study indicating that when iodine became a staple supplement in American diets, it led to an increase in IQ of 3 points, on average, over a period of about 10 years. Iodine is critical for high level brain function.

Bio-hacking is fun!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Peeking at your diary, I wouldn't say your sodium is neccessary high but your potassium is low. You don't track it but by my guessamation it is low. At the very minimum, the ration to potassium to sodium should be 1:1, optimially 3:1.

Although, I do agree there are lot of processed meats and cheeses that will spike you sodium up there.
  • alabelle1
    alabelle1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help and advice everyone!!