Who is still here?

Options
Julie_Donahue
Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
Hey all! Back when this group started (January) we used to have some great discussions! Now, not so much.

I realize a lot of people started in January and (like many of have done over the years) fell off the wagon, so to speak.

I would love to have this group as a relevant and vibrant group. We don't have to have a TON of topics, but I'd love some interaction.

If you are still around, please post a quick update (how long have you been working, how much have you lost, what is your goal, etc).

Also, what would like to see from this group? (i.e. challenges, weigh ins, etc.)

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'll start.

I'm Julie and I started (this time) in January. My oldest brother nearly died in November, and it got me moving. I have lost just over 50 pounds in 6 months. I ran my first 5K in July. My goal is to lose half my body weight (about 150 pounds). I blog at Half a Julie (http://halfajulie.blogspot.com).

I'd love to see regular updates, at least a few new posts every day! :)
  • cindylu35
    cindylu35 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My "start day" was March 4th, I've lost almost 24 lbs. Start weight 281, current 258. Down 1 size in pants!

I'm active every day and will be until like...forever. lol I like to read people's diaries and some days it'll be a "way to go" or others I might say something like "gotta watch those Cheetos!" lol I just think it's helpful to be accountable to myself AND others on my journey, so my diary is open to anyone.

I try to not be judgmental, as my own diary isn't that "clean". lol I recently mentioned to a friend to watch her carbs and she was all like "this is why I didn't open my diary before". GEEZ!!! So....bye bye. I try to keep friends who are active and friendly.

I walk on a treadmill and I have a Bodymedia armband (currently sending it in for replacement) to track my calories burned. It also helps me to make sure I get that minimum of 500 calories deficit daily.

My ULTIMATE goal is to see "ONEderland" by my 50th birthday (Oct of next year). But for now, I'm taking it day by day, and NEVER giving up!! Even if I have a bad day on occasion, I'm still on track!!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm still around, I've posted a few topics with updates :)

Basically I'm still on track but finding it incredibly hard to lose anything in the last few weeks. Haven't done as much exercise as it's Winter here (Australia), I keep getting sick and I'm absolutely exhausted recently. It's been 9 days since I got to the gym :/ Have done a bit of walking though, on Sunday we went to a place called Fairy Park which is a castle built on the top of a hill with a walking track and lots of fairy tale based puppet shows along the path up to the top - was walking for a few hours. Very enchanting place!

Anyway I started (this time lol) on January 3rd. I was doing WW for a few weeks (I lost my first 23kg doing WW before I went off track), and since then I've logged into MFP 156 days in a row. I'm down just under 23kg - 50lbs or so since then. Total weight lost is still 85lbs. I'm chasing first my 40kg lost - I'm 1.4kg away (3 lbs ish) and have been for a few weeks. And then, of course, I have 15lbs to get to 100lbs lost.

Original Start Weight (Nov 2011) 149.2kg/329lbs
    Start weight (Jan 2013) 133.3kg/294lbs
    Current weight 110.6kg/244lbs.

Goals - Under 100kg (220lbs) by Sept 28 2013. Or as close as I can get!!!
    Under 90kg (198lbs) by Jan 10 2014. I will make it!!!!

Although the scale is being difficult I am noticing big changes in clothing size. In the last week I've had to buy smaller jeans and also new trousers for work AND gym clothes. Big (small lol) news is I've been buying size (AUS) 16 in bottoms. According to size conversion charts that's a USA 12. It's the largest 'normal' size here anyway, plus sizes start at 18. I haven't fit into that size bottom half since 1997!!!!!! I've still got a few 18s but I've even bought a couple of 16s without trying them home and they fit fine when I got home. It's funny though because I'm so used to seeing my clothes look so big, they look small to me and like I wouldn't fit them. Then I try them on and they fit. Consider my mind blown - it's so odd!

Hopefully a few more ladies will update, I'd like to see how you're all going :)
  • deprek
    deprek Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm here!

I started my journey on MFP in January. Since starting, I've only lost 24 pounds. I lost 10 pounds between July 2012 and January 2013 so in total, I've lost 34 pounds. My loss has been much slower than I thought but I'm still proud of what I've accomplished. I keep reminding myself everyday that this is not a race, not a diet, etc. This needs to be a lifelong change, a new way of life. I keep reminding myself to be patient, to stick with this even when I don't feel like it. I know I could step it up a notch with exercise and I know I could make better food choices too. But I also know I'm trying real hard and I also know I'm in this for the long haul.

I have such a love/hate relationship with food and I'm working on letting go of guilt when I do go over on cals or just have a bad day. There was a time in my life when I was a compulsive exerciser. Hard to believe since I just can't seem to get into it right now. But I belonged to a gym and worked out 6-7 days a week. I was also a bulimic starting in high school and into my early 20's. Allot of this process scares me. The guilt I have over eating brings me back to those days. Some days this whole thing consumes me and I feel like I"m walking a slippery slope so I have to be careful. But I'm determined to make this work in a positive way as possible.

I've learned allot about portion control, serving sizes etc. and I think that's one key to this journey for me. It's something I'm also trying to teach my kids. Hopefully this will give them a good foundation as well.

My first goal is to lose 50 pounds (my hubby said we'll go away to a Bed & Breakfast for the weekend) and I'd like to hit that goal by the one year mark. Actually, I'd secretly like to get there sooner, even if by the end of 2013. We shall see!

I'm so glad all of you are here with me on this journey!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Hi Julie! I'm still around!

how long have you been working - Forever?
    How much have you lost, what is your goal, etc). - 24 so far, over 100 to go
    Also, what would like to see from this group? (i.e. challenges, weigh ins, etc.) - Challenges, topical conversations for things relevant to us?
  • wowie69
    wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm still here! I started in January, too. Lost like a fiend, 50# in the first 5 months just simply eating better. Since we joined in gym in May, I've only lost 5#. I know I've lost inches, because I'm in smaller clothes, but I want to pounds to keep dropping. Frustrating, but I have to let the numbers part go, I know I do. It's not easy though. I'm always so disappointed when Friday rolls around to weigh in and same....same....same...

Goals - My goal is another hundred or so off. It seems insurmountable when I say it that way, but I'm a third of the way there. Husband started with me in January and is at 80# down. MEN! lol! Right now I'm loving that I have met the goal of enjoying the gym. I started with 1 minute (literally) on the elliptical and am now up to 29. It's blowing my mind that I love this, but I really do!

Challenges - I think challenges are always fun! Squat challenges, etc. I joined a push up challenge in May and made it almost to the end of the month...it was fun! Accountability being key!

Topics - How to get the scale moving again. How to adjust to buying smaller clothes when you're used to seeing the comfy bigger clothes that would surely fit. How to handle compliments without them being an excuse to pig out.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm still here! I had lost 28 pounds, gained about 9 back in the last 6 weeks. As you guys may know, my boyfriend just got back from working out of town for 5 months and I have REALLY enjoyed him being home, ie: lots of meals out, cooking what he likes, and eating his portion sizes (he is 6'4" and 260 pounds). I have really been struggling, and frankly, just not caring about what goes into my mouth. I even made my diary private for a while because I was so embarrassed.

Two days after he came home, we signed a contract on a new bigger house. With a bigger payment. LOL. We have been trying to be a little more frugal, so its been more convenience food, pizza...etc. Plus my treadmill is covered in boxes and my workout DVD's are packed up somewhere. Not like I used them anyways.

I have just come to the realization in the last few days that healthy food can be as cheap as frozen pizzas, and with a little effort and planning, we can manage much healthier choices. Plus we are moving closer to town, and maybe I can re-join the gym. It always made me more accountable anyways. I won't work out at home. Even after I bought $330 SelectTech dumbbells.

You have to want to, and that's the bottom line. I just want to thank all of you for standing behind me and pushing me even when I didn't want to go. I love you guys!
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am here, but not on the boards as much, mostly just using my phone.

I am down 67 pounds from 11/5/12. Life has been busy lately, so I have been more maintaining than losing. The good news is, I have been maintaining and not gaining. I have a new FitBit, which has been a little motivating :)
  • Tansy98
    Tansy98 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Still here, still going, though slowly. I started a new job about a month ago so am now working 2 jobs 5 days a week - a big jump from 2 - 3 days a week, so it has been a busy time for my whole family as we all get used to the new routine. Haven't done as much exercise as I would like as I'm on my feet most of the day at work, and am just too exhausted after most days.

I have however lost 20 kg (44lb) and have dropped a size (I can now fit into my jeans again after nearly 2 years of not being able to!) and just feel so much healthier,but this past week I think I've hit a bit of a slump in motivation for both diet and exercise - I've found it hard to stick within my calories and for pretty much the first time since starting in Jan have felt really hungry. I'm going to do my best to overcome this hurdle though and hopefully it'll pass and I'll be on track :)

Glad to hear many of you are still here and doing so well, you've all been inspirational - keep it up ladies! :heart:
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here but I'm back now. I've managed to maintain my weight loss since I stopped doing anything in April. Why'd I quit? In April, my husband lost his job. I started my own business. I started having panic attacks that felt like heart attacks and ended up getting to know a cardiologist on a first name basis. I had absolutely too much going on in my life and I just could not mentally focus on myself. Logging became a tedious thing that I didn't have time for. I was just under too much stress.

But NOW! My panic attacks have stopped. My husband has a new job and I'm settling into things as a business owner. I feel like I might have time to dedicate to myself again. I don't know if I'll be all out like I was in the beginning but I am committing to trying again. I'm going to be logging again and adding exercise back in.... So, hopefully I'll be more active in this group too. It's awesome to come back here and see how much progress a lot of you have made while I was away! It gives me motivation and hope! :)
  • ireallylikemuffins
    ireallylikemuffins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm still here! Like a few people, I use the phone app more than the website, but that will change once the school year begins, and I am permanently attached to my laptop. :)

I feel like I fall off the wagon every 2-3 months. But I always get back on, so that's something (and it's never more than a 6 lb gain, so that's good). I just need to maintain motivation.

I started MFP in January 2013, and I've lost about 23 lbs so far. I went from a US 18/20 to a US 16, which feels awesome. If I could get to a 12, I think I'd die from the sheer satisfaction. :-) I weighed 275 last year, lost 13ish lbs before MFP, and I'm down to 240 now. My fitness goal is to run Run for Your Lives, the zombie-themed 5k. I need to actually start walking/running though. I may be getting a gym membership with my roommate, or I'll be using the community park's fitness center (I think it's cheaper...). I've finally discovered that I lose more weight if I cut my carbs.

I'd like to see some healthy meal ideas from some of you ladies! It's hard for me to think of new dinners/lunches I can make. I'm trying to get into preparing food/meals early and freezing most of it so I can just pull it out of the freezer, pop it in the microwave/oven and go! I have recently fallen in love with Steamables, as well (lazy person's go-to).
  • kkgriggs
    kkgriggs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note on my way out the door from work...I am still here, plugging away slowly. I just opened my blog to my friends this past week. I dont' blog often because I am not always by a computer with time to do so. I have a couple people who check on my dairy regularly...that is awesome.
    Kim
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I wish we could check message boards on the app. I love hearing from everyone, but I am so busy that I almost never get on the computer at home. I have been going strong since March and have lost almost 75 pounds. My husband has been my biggest supporter and he's lost 40 pounds to reach his goal weight. I'll try to do better checking in more often. You can also add me as a friend if you want. You can't have too many friends and supporters...right?!?:happy: