Sleep patterns

Options
2»

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but my baby HATES the swing. My older son did early on, too, and at three or four months he suddenly loved it! Then by around 7 or 8 months he was nearly too heavy for it :(

ETA that I got mine for about $30 off of Craigslist. My sister had the exact same one brand new for over $100.
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Everyone told me about the swing during the first couple of weeks especially....I was so jealous of my friends whose babies slept 11 hours at 3-4 weeks! So I invested in a swing and he didn't like it either!!! I can use it to set him down for 15 minutes tops to eat or put laundry in, etc....but he has never liked sleeping in it for very long....he does sleep soundly while the car is moving or when I push him in his stroller. I have a carrier which I mainly got for my husband to use....and he does like it, but since he is getting so big already it hurts my back....I may need to get a different carrier that would get him through to the next stage, though...one that is more supportive.

Last night he seemed to have found his thumb and has been soothing himself that way. So I tried what y'all were talking about (waiting until he cries rather than going straight to get him when I hear him waking up). He would chew on his thumb for a while and fall back to sleep for at least another hour....so it seems that his sleep was really affected by the teething, but he is learning how to get through it. He is slowly working back up to the length of time that he was sleeping before.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    On the swing - I guess it's more common than i thought!! The swing was the ONLY place besides my arms Jaxon would sleep!!! For the first 6 weeks he pretty much only slept in my arms bc he nursed constantly but once he started FF he would sleep 8+ hrs and by 2-3 months he would sleep 10+ in his swing! The first one we have I got it on clearance at Babies R Us for $50 (battery powered) so after about a month of him taking naps and sleeping all night in it and going through so many D batteries ($$$) we invested in the same kind but the updated version that plugs in which was closer to $200. They have been AWESOME and we have even taken them while traveling. Until about a month ago (he's started getting uncomfortable in it bc he's 20+ lbs now) and its time to get him out of it due to the 25 lb weight limit. It's been a slow process because we've avoided letting him CIO but he's finally doing good without it. There are still times when I'm just so dog tired that I put him in his swing if he won't go go back to sleep after trying everything but for the most part he's out of it. Being a sleep deprived mama I recommended it but after the struggle and lack of sleep getting him out of it I'm not sure I'd do it again lol

Sorry for the novel!!
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    On the swing... I've also found it works quite well for very colicy babies. Sometimes babies can shift their wind easier when they are more upright, rather than flat on their backs and therefore sleep better in a swing aswell.