Rec Your Favorite Veggie

Options
momof2osaurus
momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
I'm in a veggie rut. What's your favorite??

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Some of these aren't really vegetables, but here are my favorites:

Sweet potato
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower (I really only like this when I make mashed cauliflower, otherwise I find it bleh)
    Kale
    Collards
    Avocado
    Mushrooms
    Onion
    Zucchini
    Kohlrabi
    Cucumber
    Okra (unfortunately, I love this battered and fried)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Spinach,cauliflower,sprouts,portabello shrooms,chillies,garlic,thyme
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Just one? This is a tricky one.

Sweet Potato: The perfect dinner or dessert - can be baked into chips and served with sauce, stuffed with bacon and mince, or just microwaved and smeared with butter, cinnamon and/or honey... also works as an amazing "french toast" substitute.

White Potato: Not as versatile as the former potato, but still delicious. A perfect dinner as chips when coated in egg and a tiny bit of coconut flour, and makes a great snack just microwaved with salt, pepper, cottage cheese and chilli sauce.

Pumpkin: This one is amazing. Microwave it, roast it, puree it, whatever - I bloody love pumpkin. I particularly enjoy making sludge concoctions out of it - protein powder, cinnamon and pumpkin baked and mashed = an amazing sludgy dessert.
    (Or is this a fruit?... Has seeds)

Broccoli: I actually enjoy this steamed with a heavy amount of salt and pepper than any other way; I've tried it with butter, with cheese and just on it's own... not so nice. I either have it - as said - steamed and heavily salted and peppered, or raw, sliced up in my rice or stir fry.

Onion/Capsicum: Used equally for the same purpose - to make curries and omelettes when browned in butter. Butter chicken wouldn't be the same without it.

Nori Wrap: These are nice to just munch on. I love the texture. Works perfect to hold in sushi, well, obviously.

Pickles: Because pickles.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Cabbage!!!!!

It makes a salad, fills up a stir-fry, makes cabbage rolls and is very tasty sauteed with onion/salt/pepper/butter :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Kale
    Spinach
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Green Beans
    Broccoli
    Avocado
    Peas
    Collard Greens
    Cucumber
    Radish
    Tomato (or is this a fruit?)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Cucumber is probably my number one! I also love green beans, carrots, tomatoes, avocados, celery, and many others! I've been eating a lot of cauliflower lately, too. It's so versatile!
  • cliphcasey
    cliphcasey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All the cruciferous! Great for you, plus they seem to keep me feeling full longer.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Asparagus
    Sweet Potato
    Green Beans
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    oohhhhhh so many!

cucumber
    asparagus
    sweet potato
    red pepper
    brussel sprouts
    portobello mushrooms
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Kale
    Spinach
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Green Beans
    Broccoli
    Avocado
    Peas
    Collard Greens
    Cucumber
    Radish
    Tomato (or is this a fruit?)

Just because I'm a know-it-all, avocados are actually a fruit and peas are a legume :wink:
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a new appreciation for beets. My grocery store also carries golden beets, which I had never heard of before.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Mixed greens, stir-fried in bacon fat or coconut oil or olive oil. When I come home with veggies, I cut the tops off root veggies (beets, turnips, parsnips), soak in vinegar water to dislodge dirt and pests (they're organic), rinse, chop up and mix with chopped kale and chard, spin all in a salad spinner and store in a bag in the fridge with a paper towel or two to absorb moisture.

I also chop up an onion or two and store in a container in the fridge, and peel and slice turnips and keep them in another container.

It makes it really easy to turn on the stove, put oil in a frypan, add onions and fry a bit, turn them over and add turnip slices until they start to brown, turn these over and add a couple of handfuls of greens on top, let them wilt down and pour vinegar (balsamic or cider) or lemon juice on top, stir to deglaze the pan and dump it all in a bowl.

Eat as is, or add whatever you want: olives, avocado, protein, etc.
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts, yum!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    all the leafy greens - spinach, romaine, green/red leaf lettuce, collards, turnip greens, etc
    carrots (I go through phases with them, though)
    celery
    onion
    brussel sprouts
    cabbage
    zucchini, squash
    asparagus
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    cucumber
    radishes
    mushrooms
    avocado
    tomato
    green beans
    sugar snap peas (snow peas), but not traditional peas
    pea pods
    bean sprouts
    water chestnuts
    bok choy
    bell peppers
    sweet potato (though I don't really consider it a veggie)

I'm sure many more that I haven't listed!!

*I am aware some of these are fruits or fungi or legumes
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Cabbage!!!!!

It makes a salad, fills up a stir-fry, makes cabbage rolls and is very tasty sauteed with onion/salt/pepper/butter :)

I've been craving cabbage. I got one over the weekend!!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts. I like to cut them in half lengthwise and roast them. Asparagus is yummy roasted as well.
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    broccoli slaw, sweet potatoes made in the microwave, cauliflower (food processed into rice).