Hi everyone

Options
stroutman81
stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
I'm a total slacker. I went MIA for a long time, which was really ****ty timing considering it was shortly after I started this group. Then I came back a couple of weeks ago and totally forgot about the whole groups thing. I plan on being more present from here on out... recently made some substantial career changes that will ultimately lead to more computer time. If anyone's still around, here's to hoping we can breathe some life back into the group.

Thanks!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    <--- I still lurk. Busy with our own group but I love hearing your feedback on posts, so I'm glad you're going to be around!
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Steve!
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    In
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Welcome back.. I'm back after a long hiatus myself!
    I'm in.. always interested in your posts and the great info you pass along!
  • staroftheeast
    staroftheeast Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Still here
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Welcome back :)
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! just getting back at it myself!! Love the knowledge you have and your willingness to share! :happy:
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Welcome back sir..
  • stroutman81
    Options
    <--- I still lurk. Busy with our own group but I love hearing your feedback on posts, so I'm glad you're going to be around!

Your group is hooouuuggeee. Can I be jealous?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Glad to see a lot of folks still lurking? What do you want to talk about. While I generally find myself on the side of crossfit hate, I've been paying a bit of attention to it this week given its the games. I have a buddy competing in them for the first time. He crushed the competition during the first event this afternoon. Granted, the deck was stacked in his favor seeing as how it was the first time the games took it to a pool and he was a dominant swimmer. Still exciting to see him rock some well known superstars in the xfit community.

Last I saw, he was getting absolutely smoked in his second event through, which was a half marathon of rowing.
  • lauratws
    lauratws Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good to see you back.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Steve!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve! I didn't know you before your went and forgot about your group, so as far as I'm concerned your totally cool :bigsmile:

I just like to read about all the little fine tuning that I don't need to do yet since I have a lot of fat to lose first LOL.

Glad your friend did so well in the pool! Crossfit has had a positive impact on my training life. That's because there's a couple of employees at my gym who are crossfitters and they have gotten in bumper plates, chalk, more places that I can do pulling from the floor and pullups, TRX's which I like to use sometimes, and other equipment that I would like to use someday. So far as I'm concerned that's a win.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Yeah, it's a win. I'm glad to hear you have access to quality stuff. And I know plenty of people who've had their lives, as they pertain to fitness, transformed by crossfit. Generally I find myself on the side of xfit hate though simply because...

1. They've essentially created an extreme sport and mass marketed to the masses. The extreme sport aspect is fine... I'm not going to knock that just like I won't knock downhill mountain biking, extreme skiing , etc. But I'm not going to take someone who's never ridden a bike before and put them on my full suspension downhill bike at the top of a mountain and say, "have at it." Unfortunately that's what I see happen more often than not in xfit circles.

2. So-called professionals can get xfit certified as a trainer in the matter of a weekend as long as they're willing to fork over big money. Which makes sense since xfit is a marketing monster rather than a fitness movement really. Yeah, it's become a movement for some simply because of the marketing... but that's not the point. I'm not okay with putting really questionable authorities at the helm of what boils down to, essentially, an extreme sport.

3. It seems that many of the xfitters I encounter have a superiority complex, which is no reflection on you obviously. But they believe that they're part of something that's unique and novel. When in reality, xfit is just a hodge podge of a lot of training methodologies that've been around forever. And some times hodge podging everything together isn't the best road to a given goal. It's certainly not how I'd go about developing the world's "fittest athlete," which is self proclaimed beyond believe. And you should listen to me, because I'm the world's fittest and smartest trainer. :p

These are my major rubs.

However, I have some things I like, not the least of which is it got people using foundational, important equipment. It got them off bull**** gimmicks and using real weights, which I have to respect. The camaraderie is through the roof in many boxes, which establishes a fantastic support network to keep people interested. Retention rates are likely much higher in xfit boxes than they are in LA Fitness clubs, for example. Lastly, I know some box owners who are actually legit coaches. They understand specificity, individual programming, etc and they simply use xfit as their horse to hitch their cart to in order to teach their methods. But when you really look at what they're doing then, it's not REALLY crossfit. It's intelligent training done under the xfit wrapper.

I've to run, client coming in as we speak.... but I'd be happy to talk about this more if you're interested.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve, am pleased you're back. I joined this group just yesterday, after wandering into your website and reading two of your articles that I found hugely interesting and insightful - the ones on The Walk and on Self Identity. I know that this group is about nutrition and exercise, but I must say I liked the philosophical bent in those two pieces, they cut to the core of why we want to get fitter.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Hi Steve, am pleased you're back. I joined this group just yesterday, after wandering into your website and reading two of your articles that I found hugely interesting and insightful - the ones on The Walk and on Self Identity. I know that this group is about nutrition and exercise, but I must say I liked the philosophical bent in those two pieces, they cut to the core of why we want to get fitter.

Hey there, thanks for the interest and kind words. The philosophical and psychological side of things is definitely where my interest lies nowadays. I mean don't get me wrong, I love training and nutrition... but there's just not really anything worth reading on those fronts from my perspective. But I do love reading about things like mindfulness, cognitive behavioral therapy, rational emotive therapy, etc. I think that this is where there's the most to uncover as far as research goes in the context of weight control.
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,939 Member
    Options

Hey there, thanks for the interest and kind words. The philosophical and psychological side of things is definitely where my interest lies nowadays. I mean don't get me wrong, I love training and nutrition... but there's just not really anything worth reading on those fronts from my perspective. But I do love reading about things like mindfulness, cognitive behavioral therapy, rational emotive therapy, etc. I think that this is where there's the most to uncover as far as research goes in the context of weight control.

I have been getting very interested in Cognitive behavioral therapy lately specially the beck diet solution.I haven't come across any other material focusing on losing weight through CBT
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Good to see you back!