Relatively New (And failing at putting weight on)

Options
Hi,

I've been on MFP for a while, but it's taken me ages to find other people that are looking to gain rather than lose weight. I'm 24, weigh anywhere between 96lbs and 105lbs (it fluctuates), 5ft5 and a vegetarian.

I go through phases of working really hard to put weight on (though it never seems to make any difference) and eating very little, either because I simply don't have time or I forget, or because I'm not in the mood to eat.

I find if I don't eat a proper meal every couple of hours I get low blood sugar, get very dizzy and faint, can't concentrate and get quite moody. I've been hospitalised three times for tests to find out what's causing that but they still haven't a clue.

Any support/advice/encouragement would be really appreciated.

Replies

• HildeTinyViking
    HildeTinyViking Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenny :)

I can relate to what you're saying. I often used to forget to eat, to the point where I would only have 1 or 2 meals a day. Now that I've started MFP it's luckily gotten much better though.

I used to struggle a LOT with low blood sugar, from when I was maybe 10 years old up until about 25. I would have dizzy spells and nearly faint. I was a vegetarian for 3 years and my blood sugar suffered the most during that time as I found it difficult to make decent meals, and I ended up eating a lot of sugar and refined carbohydrates. That is the worst thing anyone can do to themselves. All that sugar and refined carbs wrecked havoc on my blood sugar and insulin and gave me dizziness, moodiness, huge lack of concentration and near fainting episodes.

In 2008 I discovered I had PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). This is more common than women think, and you DO NOT have to be overweight to have it. My gyno recommended I'd start a Low Carb diet to control my insulin, which again would help my PCOS, and it's the best decision I ever made. I haven't had a single dizzy spell since I started 5 years ago.

You say you've been hospitalized to find out what's causing your low blood sugar and dizzy spells and all, yet they haven't found what's causing it? I find that so strange, the answer should be in exactly what you're saying. No proper meals every couple of hours = low blood sugar = dizzy and fainting. It wasn't just the sugar/refined carbs intake for me, it was not eating enough to begin with as well.

Have you been checked for PCOS? If not, and the doctors dismiss it without even checking you, demand a check. Some docs are rude and uneducated in that area and will dismiss it because you're slim. I had an ultrasound of my ovaries and both me and my gyno could see they were covered in water cysts. Not all women with PCOS have cysts on their ovaries though, so it's important to have a thorough check up. I also had acne and irregular periods which are two major signs.
    Have they checked your thyroid as well? And metabolism?

How is your diet? Are you eating too much sugar or refined carbs? For me I found that eating salads with avocado and olive oil really help up the calories. Do you eat dairy? There's a lot of calories to gain from that. Full fat milk, cream, eggs, full fat sour cream etc.

Sorry for the long reply, I just felt that I could relate to your situation and I really hope you find out what the real issue is. I made an intro post a while back where I wrote a bit more specific about my diet, check it out if you like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/913968-intro-what-works-for-me

Feel free to add me as a friend on here, I'd love to get more MFP buddies :)

- Hilde
  • JennyVeggie
    Options
    Hi Hilde,

Thank you so much for your reply! It's comforting to know that someone else is similar to me.

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years but the blood sugar thing has only been an issue for the last 3, so I'm hoping that's not part of it. I don't think I could go back to eating meat. I'm a chef so coming up with decent meals that compensate for what I don't get from meat isn't too much of a problem, I just find if I'm stressed or down or tired or busy I don't have an appetite at all. When I'm happy it's fine I eat quite a lot, though still don't seem to be able to put on weight. But I know that having several days where I just don't feel like eating is probably making it worse. When that happens I drink Lucozade and eat sweets/crisps so my blood sugar stays up, but obviously that isn't at all good for me.

PCOS sounds quite scary. I've never heard of it before but I will mention it to my doctor, thank you!

The tests in the hospital were completely useless. I had the same 72 hour fasting test 3 times with absolutely indication of what made my sugars dip so low. The first time they mis-labelled my blood samples, second time they fed me half way through and the last time I got too ill too quickly so we had to stop the tests. I'm not doing it again. I've had consultations with a dietician who, apart from telling me I wasn't allowed to go vegan and that I had to get more than 3000 calories a day just to maintain my weight, wasn't all that helpful.

They've checked thyroid and that's shown nothing, and my metabolism is quite fast so that was thought to be a contributing factor.

Diet-wise, when I'm not being stupid and not eating properly, I eat very well. 5 or 6 small-medium meals a day and they all take into account that I need to be careful about getting the right combinations of protein and fat. Still can't get about 105lbs though. But that could be because I get that high and then something will get me upset or stressed and the idea of eating just makes me feel sick. I do eat dairy; I've created this milkshake using full fat milk and silken tofu which is fantastic for helping me gain weight, I just need to remember to drink it.

I'll definitely add you on here, it's really nice having someone to relate to!

Thanks again,

Jenny
  • HildeTinyViking
    HildeTinyViking Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Since you've only had blood sugar issues for the last 3 out of 15 years as a vegetarian I too doubt that has anything to do with it. The fact that you're a chef gives you a nice advantage too with coming up with nutritious meals! :)

I can relate to not having an appetite when stressed or upset. My stomach will just say no, can't get the food down. So I try my best to relax and be positive and do things that make me happy. You're so right you know, if for example you eat well for 5 days and then eat poorly for 5 days you won't see any progress.

The more sugar and refined carbs you eat the more insulin your body produces, to the point where the body can't regulate it properly. You might not have PCOS, but check also if you have insulin resistance. (Insulin resistance can go hand in hand with PCOS, and can apparently be triggered by using birth control pills, which is ironic cos a certain type of birth control pill is the top medication for PCOS... *facepalm*)

I didn't mean to scare you with the PCOS! It's not the worst thing one can have, but not the easiest either. About 1 in 10 women have it. It can be kept in check either through diet or both diet and meds. Ever since I got it and realized how common it actually is I try to mention it to women I meet who have similar symptoms. If I can help even just 1 person I'm happy :)

I'm sure having a fast metabolism can make it harder to gain. Eating more denser food than fruit and veggies could help, I'm sure you do this already though. I've just started using shakes too! I ordered the Naturade Weight Gain powder from iHerb. Made a shake a couple of hours ago with banana, full fat milk, oats, peanut butter, chocolate powder and the weight gain powder. Gave me a tasty 500 ml shake with over 750 calories :)

I hope you'll have more happy and positive days so you can eat well. I know how important it is.
  • hummingbird1966
    Options
    Hi I just wanted to encourage you! I was diagnosed with gastritis and consequently after 4 mos of severe weight loss found out my gallbladder was bad. By the time I had surgery I was down to 73 lbs. just some history. So basically I was starving to death. Had to start consuming 2000 calories a day to regain and rebuild muscle. Did great but then got the stomach flu. Through everything back off kilter. So here I am back to forcing myself to eat. From what I learned from the dietician and er dr if you are not consuming enough calories everything starts going down hill, fatigue brain fog weakness dizziness, throws your kidneys liver and pancreas out of whack. Which is right back where I am. My point is you must literally force yourself to eat the appropriate amt of calories whether you feel like it or not. When I did that everything started clearing up! I felt so much better.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yay to you for making a change! I have managed to gain 5 lbs since starting this program I think like 6 weeks ago. I just shoot for over 2k a day. I do have bad days here and there, but find it much easier to take emotions out of the equation when I see the #'s I am aiming for each day.

Since you are a vegetarian, that is a moral issue and has nothing to do w/calories. You can do everything that a carnivore can as far as nutrition and weight goals. Just make sure you are getting adequate iron, calcium, protien ect.
  • iraDC
    iraDC Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i'm also trying to gain weight that's why i started counting calories with the help of this app. i get hungry every 3-4 hrs and would try to eat despite my work sched. i can hardly gain 1kg in months even after meal adjustments. my target cal per day is 2,300 and after weeks of recording my food intake i realized i don't eat that much. i think the challenge is reaching your target cal/per day while making sure you're eating healthy foods. it doesn't sound easy but thinking of your goal weight and body gives you the little push you need every day. :)
  • 2014myyear
    2014myyear Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i can defo relate!
  • kerve13
    kerve13 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hilde already mentioned the only point I can offer, and that is using protein/weight gain shakes. There are tons of options (don't forget to look at products marketed for weightlifters, they tend to be fairly inexpensive), and some taste pretty good.
  • realtiny
    Options
    Hi Jenny and Hilde,
    It felt good to find you - people trying to gain rather than lose; finding such people had seemed a losing battle in itself :) ... I've been, as long as I can remember, on a mission to gain weight, while putting it on accidentally only to lose it promptly in a week or two ... over the years, I've gained a few measly kilos, but am always better at losing. Have also had gastritis and related issues for several years ... was also recently clinically diagnosed with oral lichen planus, so have had to, in one fell swoop, change diets to bland ... the first effect was severe weight loss ... and accompanying anxiety/ depression spirals ...
    this is the first time i've tried calorie counting, but since joining this space, at least its making me actively look for the missed nutrients/ calories ... and even writing this down feels like a step ... I recently discovered all the smoothie/ thickie veterans, and it has helped me at least ensure that I have a filling and calorie dense breakfast while on the run ... the other thing i'm still trying to regularise but have found immensely useful is some form of yoga practice; the breathing techniques if nothing else, and maybe a fuller practice session on weekends or when there's time. the point, i think, is consistency - the bane of most of us trying to gain - or lose, i guess.
    but looking forward to hearing, and sharing, something of our slippery journeys here :)
  • realtiny
    Options
    just to say hi to all the others on this post too ... I got so carried away by the sight of a vegetarian trying to gain weight I forgot to acknowledge the others :)