New to this, could anyone give me the gist of it?

Options
Tigermum9
Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
Im interested in losing weight slowly, healthy and keep the weight off. Is this it?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Eat less than you burn daily, with a reasonable deficit to help retain muscle mass, which will increase odds of long term success.
    Eat enough protein to assist with muscle retention.
    Strength train to get stronger, and at start perhaps even increase muscle mass.

The difficulty is the equation - eating < burning

MFP will help with the eating, log correctly, weigh everything but liquids which are measured.

Get a good estimate of what you burn daily, starting on high side is better.

And if you have no knowledge of calorie levels except 1200 minimum for safety and sedentary people, you should log some common eating days to get a clue as to how much you used to eat. Many are shocked a reasonable deficit leaves them with 1800 to 2000 to eat, but they should really be shocked they used to eat 2500-3000 without any or nearly as much exercise being done.
  • kellrell
    kellrell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    And if you have no knowledge of calorie levels except 1200 minimum for safety and sedentary people, you should log some common eating days to get a clue as to how much you used to eat. Many are shocked a reasonable deficit leaves them with 1800 to 2000 to eat, but they should really be shocked they used to eat 2500-3000 without any or nearly as much exercise being done.

OMG YES!!!
    I am recently new to heavy lifting and have been investigating this whole EM2WL and eating proper calories for strength training. I used to be one of those people who ate at 1200-1400 calories a day to try and lose weight and switched because it had done nothing anymore.
    But I did this before, the whole logging what you were eating before without realizing it and I was usually close to if not over 3000 calories and I couldnt believe it! You just never really know how much you put in your body. I remember doing that and thinking, well duh no wonder I gained so much weight.

Sorry, that part of your answer just totally hit home. I am so excited to do more research on this and get on the right path to a healthy lifestyle.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Yep! You are in the right place! This is the way to lose weight without slowing down your metabolism and hitting that dreaded plateau. It is also a way of life that is completely maintainable, as you will not be starving and depriving your body of the fuel it needs.

Make sure you read the threads tacked to the top of the forum and educate yourself on the process... Commit to taking the time to do it right, and you will not be disappointed!

Any questions, feel free to ask or send a friend request. Also, try to gather like-minded friends --- it will make the process easier :-)