Naga Fighting???

Options
MizTerry
MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
Naga fighting (grappling) Is anyone here into it?

Replies

• tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    is this the same as jiu jitsu? If so, I train in bjj.....and quite a few others here do as well.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree. Though saying that, there are a variety of different styles to one martial art - you just have to look at Karate and Tae Kwon Do

Edit: Ok, so I know Wikipedia isn't gospel, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Grappling_Association but it is BJJ,
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've fought at multiple naga events, it's kind of an intermediate level event somewhere between local events and ibjjf. the only reservation I have about Naga is the uncertainity of your specific match times, you could be there all day waiting around. Is this the info you're looking for? do you have other questions?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've fought at multiple naga events, it's kind of an intermediate level event somewhere between local events and ibjjf. the only reservation I have about Naga is the uncertainity of your specific match times, you could be there all day waiting around. Is this the info you're looking for? do you have other questions?

Pretty much this, it is a governing organization for grappling essentially, it deals with both gi and no gi, with various levels for each.
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Love NAGA! I live in the Southeast, so most IBJJF events are too far except the Atlanta Open. My teammates and I compete mostly at NAGA and Newbreed events. There are a handful of local organizations as well, but do not actively run throughout the entire year. Between NAGA & Newbreed and sparse Local & IBJJF events, we have stayed pretty active in the tournament scene the last couple of years. I got Gold and Bronze at the last NAGA Atl in Feb. at white belt gi and beginner nogi. We have guys going to the one in Atl this weekend, and the rest of us will be doing Newbreed in July. I've been promoted, so I'm anxious to start racking up medals in blue belt gi and intermiedate nogi.

Many competitors in the Gi divisions have judo/jiu jitsu-centric training. Many competitors in the NoGi divisions have mma/wrestling/jiu jitsu-centric training. NAGA is known for being much more open (in regards to grappling style background), whereas IBJJF is obviously more focused on jiu jitsu.

Lots of children competitors. LOTS! A previous poster mentioned the wait times, which is true... because of the scores of kids brackets. It really is an all day affair, even though any given competitor will only be actively engaged for about an hour (usually less).
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all for the replies. :D
  • Freshstart132
    Options
    i have competed in Naga before. I'm currently trying to get back into shape so i can start competing again in jiu jitsu tournament.

2 years of training jiu jitsu and I'm in the Midwest!