Dogs on Trails.

Options
2»

Replies

• RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I cant stand when I see dogs off leash. I havent had this issue while running, but I also go hiking a lot, and recently brought my 7.5lb dog on a hike with me. I had her on a 6ft leash, with at least a third of it wrapped around my hand so she wouldnt get too far away from me, but it felt like every quarter mile, we would come across larger dogs that were off leash, and the owners not watching them. Every single time I had to scoop up and carry my dog because the larger dogs would come running towards her as soon as they saw her. I dont know if they would have done anything to her, but its just irresponsible to be letting your dog wander around like that without watching it! If I can be responsible about my dog, others should be responsible about their dogs, too.
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    In my neighborhood, there are several people who let their dogs roam free. I worry more when I'm running with my dog than when I'm alone, because I never know if those dogs are dog aggressive. It scares me, for my dog's sake. I simply don't understand people who can just let their dogs go. I have to know where mine are at all times. Also, those retractable leashes are a menace. We have them for certain very limited conditions, but they use regular leads made from climbing ropes when we're out for walks.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    so sorry to read this OP... definitely a tough thing to go through. It certainly isn't right to have to change where you run because of irresponsible dog owners. I will also say that if a dog is coming at you in an aggresive manner, then of course you have every right to protect yourself.

I have a miniature schnauzer who is my running partner and who is always at my side on a lead tied around my waist. She's not aggressive to people or other dogs but I will never give her the opportunity to prove me wrong. Sadly, it's not always large dogs that are the menace either... just yesterday morning, we were harrassed by a little poodle, who was on one of those retractable leashes, held by an owner who did absolutely nothing while this little thing kept pulling so hard that it was causing the leash to keep slipping out more and more lead. I stopped and ask the owner why she thought that was acceptable behaviour. Her response was, "oh she's just being protective of me and certainly wouldn't hurt you." I couldn't believe it!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Are you American? Maybe it's an American thing. Probably goes in line with you feeling you need the right to carry a gun everywhere you go in case a person "spooks" you.

Seriously? Did you really type that?
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about this incident! No one deserves to be bitten or feel threatened on a public trail! I own a dog myself an american Labrador retriever. He is a lovable sweet dog and I take him on all my runs...

However, I am completely frustrated (though not entirely surprised) by how many people you say have dogs off leash! Even though I don't think Buster would harm anyone.. there is no way I can be sure. Also for his own protection too - we encounter squirrels, birds, rabbits and I have even seen foxes on the trails we run and I fear if he were off leash he would try to chase all of them including the fox and I would be worried about that outcome!

As an owner I purposely choose trails that are more off the beaten path with a smaller likelihood of coming across other people or dogs and still keep him on leash. I do think though - that part of the frustration of these owners is that today there are very few places you can let your dog off leash. Around where I live there are a few run down dog parks but that is it. I wish there where more places I could go, especially for running where I could let him off leash without worrying because I know how much he enjoys it - but this is the price we pay for living in the city.

Ultimately it is the owner's responsibility to make sure their dog is behaving. I think if I were in your situation I would inform the proper authorities in order to have some re-enforcement of the leash laws.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    I agree Destanie, I think I'll have to start making the city aware of the issue, don't know if they'll bother doing anything, maybe they will put new signage. The funny part is the area of trail I've mentioned having to avoid is adjacent to a HUGE dog walking/play park. The other trails that lead them to the dog park from the parking lot are wide, gravel and stretch pretty far both ways, they have their own trails! The hiking/biking trails they are coming over to are river trails, that have sharp inclines/declines and blind corners. It seems the people generally assume the entire area is for their off leash disposal (there are signs... there are even signs for some parts saying no cycling because of the dangers of the blind corners). The situation is beyond frustrating.

My half trail marathon was supposed to actually go down this trail on that side of the river, but lucky for me the trail actually got washed out at some parts from flooding we had here not too long ago, so it's on the other side of the trail, yay me, lol like I need any more reason for nerves (it's my first half since before I had kids, been about 10 years!).

Thanks for the advice and to the others for relating. Today is race day. I hope there aren't many people out there while we're racing, it starts at 8 am, so I think we'll miss the mid morning dog walkers. :D
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Today is race day. I hope there aren't many people out there while we're racing, it starts at 8 am, so I think we'll miss the mid morning dog walkers. :D

Have a fantastic run!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I often ran in the country lots of miles of nothing but dirt roads and crops. Even got crop dusted by a small plane. I had 2 rotties come from know where. I stopped slowly moved my hands and shot both with pepper spray. Works great. Now I run in the city country so I am well protected for the 2 legged dogs.

Have fun be prepared. Where ever you find your joy in running.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    wow! I really don't understand why some of us here can't understand that it's not okay for a dog to attack a person in a public place. She was attacked by this dog and that's not cool!
  • kellyhdent
    kellyhdent Posts: 46
    Options
    Irresponsible pet owners make me furious. My chocolate labs are always kept on a leash, no matter where we are - hiking trails, running - I couldn't imagine letting them roam around. They're not vicious {you never know, I guess!}, just labs who tend to always find water! So sorry that happened to you - I've had a similar experience while cycling, and it was terrifying! The owner just stood in the yard, saying "She's not usually like this!". You're never prepared for a situation like that! Hopefully you've found a way to curb that anxiety and have a relaxing run. :)
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    wow! I really don't understand why some of us here can't understand that it's not okay for a dog to attack a person in a public place. She was attacked by this dog and that's not cool!

Who here actually said it's OK for a dog to attack someone?

I'm in agreement that dogs need to be on leashes - ESPECIALLY busy trails and parks with cyclists, runners and more importantly, children. I also think every dog should go through obedience training with its owner. Trained obedient dogs are happier dogs! There is only one trail I take my dog off leash to because it's known in my town as the trail where dogs are off leash. If he wasn't behaved enough to be off leash, I would keep him on, even at a trail like this. I even agreed that it's OK to have mace if a dog does attack. I just hope people use very good judgement in determining between "spook" and "attack".

I am sorry to anyone who has been bitten - it sucks and I should have started off in this conversation, first by being more sensitive to the OP.