When is your first 5K?

Options
tycamsdad
tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
I just finished week 6 this morning and I have registered for my first 5K on Saturday, August 3rd. My hope is to break 30 minutes but I won't be too discouraged if I don't. This is more of a "bucket list" thing for me (even though I am only 46).

How long after you complete the C25K program are you planning on running your first one? And what is your goal for the 5K?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I haven't found an official 5K to run yet, but I will be running a 5K course in Washington, DC at the end of July. My brother (who runs marathons) is making me run with him while I am there for his retirement celebration. He has a favorite course around the monuments at the National Mall. No real goal in mind, just think it will be neat to run with him for the first time ever!

Edit: I did W9D1 this morning- a solid 3 mile run!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My first 5k will be in mid September. I don't want to run in July or August and risk getting ill from the heat, plus I'd like to run/walk 5k at least once during practice before running in a race. I did Week 9 Day 1 today and did 1.8 miles in the 30 minutes, so I still have a ways to go. I like setting my goal for September. Slow and steady for me.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm starting C25K today...I will finish the first week of September, so I'm hoping to find a 5K to run then, but we'll see how I progress.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm starting C25K today...I will finish the first week of September, so I'm hoping to find a 5K to run then
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do the Diva Dash in Washington D.C. in September, but today was my first day of C25K and I couldn't even finish all the jogging cycles :-( I did go walk for an extra 10 minutes and threw in a couple of extra jogging spurts at the end to try to make up for it, but I'm already skeptical on if I'll be able to run the whole thing. Fortunately, my workout buddy is a great motivator and pushed me to keep going even when I was ready to quit today. I'm no where near giving up yet, though!
  • nurselroy
    nurselroy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    oops, hit enter twice
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Bridge to Brisbane 5km run on Sept 1st... Might attempt the 10km next year
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I just signed myself and my son up for a 5k on July 28th. its a small local race and helps fund medical care for kids. We'll be graduated for 2 weeks at that point. My only goal is to finish without walking,
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I'm hoping to do the Diva Dash in Washington D.C. in September, but today was my first day of C25K and I couldn't even finish all the jogging cycles :-( I did go walk for an extra 10 minutes and threw in a couple of extra jogging spurts at the end to try to make up for it, but I'm already skeptical on if I'll be able to run the whole thing. Fortunately, my workout buddy is a great motivator and pushed me to keep going even when I was ready to quit today. I'm no where near giving up yet, though!

You might want to slow your pace down if you are struggling. It doesn't matter how fast you go, only that you go!
  • whirlybirdknits
    whirlybirdknits Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My first 5K is on July 20th. I ran 3 miles last night for the first time - that's my longest run ever at this point. It took me over 45 minutes, but I'm okay with slow because I ran the whole way! I figure I have five more training runs before the big day, so hopefully I'll be more comfortable with the distance than I was last night. 3 miles nearly killed me!
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My 1st 5K is Sept 8th Color Run in Brooklyn. It is about 2 weeks after I end C25K. It's a fun run so it is ok to walk & run if I need to.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    October 5th. I'm doing a Zombie Run
  • crystal103010
    Options
    I just finished week 1 yesterday and I signed up for The Color Me Rad 5K Sept 21st. That is about 2 weeks after I am supposed to finish the program.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've done ten 5Ks over the past few years, but I've done a walk/run on all of those. I'm registered for one on August 10 which is the first one I'll totally run (hopefully!). I just ran 3.1 miles this morning and it took me 39:12, so my goal for the August 10 run is to finish in under 35. I finished the C25K a couple weeks ago and just started a novice 10K program.
  • ws8996
    ws8996 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first and second 5ks on October 5th and 6th. Call me crazy but let me explain first! The one on the 5th is the Color Run so it is untimed and not too serious. I am using that as a warm up to the day of my first real 5k. I don't plan on actually running too hard in the Color Run so I won't be too sore or hurting for the other one. I am doing the one on Sunday to support a charity that I have worked with for 5 years starting freshman year of college. In my mind I can do it, let's see if the body holds up!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first and second 5ks on October 5th and 6th. Call me crazy but let me explain first! The one on the 5th is the Color Run so it is untimed and not too serious. I am using that as a warm up to the day of my first real 5k. I don't plan on actually running too hard in the Color Run so I won't be too sore or hurting for the other one. I am doing the one on Sunday to support a charity that I have worked with for 5 years starting freshman year of college. In my mind I can do it, let's see if the body holds up!

I thought I was the only person crazy enough to do this - I'm running a 5K (for time) on August 10, then doing a Color Dash on August 11 (just for fun with a group from work).
  • lisetteparks
    lisetteparks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I start C25k tomorrow.
    I'm hoping to sign up for the Casper Zombie 5k on September 7th. =]
    My goal...not to be eatten by zombies. I just want to finish the race in one piece.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I signed up for my first 5k- August 10th, The Run for the Grapes in Tontitown, AR.

I'm doing the 5 to 10k RunDouble app now, finished w2d2 this morning.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Why wait until you're done with the program? I'm on week week 4 and signed up for one on Aug 2.
    Actually, I let a couple of friends (who run marathons) talk me into doing a 5k. I knew I shouldn't have told them I had started running. This one is supposed to be really cool, though. It goes around the grounds of the stadium of our local professional football team and ends on the field under the lights.
    I'm just hoping to survive and finish in a respectable time, like under an hour.
    Good luck to everybody!
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just signed up for my third 5k at the end of September. I finished C25K in January, did my first 5k in Feb, second in June (improved my time by 4 minutes!!), and hope to do even better by September. This Texas heat and humidity is doing me in though!! :grumble: Even going out at 6am, I come back a dripping, sweaty mess....maybe it will make me appreciate running in 'normal' weather more.