success with higher daily calories

Ok, so I did body revolution a couple months ago, made it to week 10. But I didn't lose that much and my nutritionist told me it was because I was only eating the 1200 calories a day and put my body into starvation mode. Am restarting on Monday and wondering if anybody has had success with this program eating around 1400 a day? thanks

Replies

• pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    I just saw a nutritionist on Wed. Had my resting metabolism measured and resting is 1862. I am on week 4 phase 1 and I am also upping my calories. Was told 1500-1600. I was frustrated working so hard and seeing little change. I also was eating to little and body conserving to protect itself. I always thought to loose wright one just needed to burn more than you ate. It isn't so easy.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    During my first round I ate about 1500 calories per day, and I was really hungry a lot. But it got the job done and I shed a large amount of weight. Now that I don't need to lose more weight really, I am eating between 1750-1850 calories per day. I do TDEE and only log 1 calorie burned.

Were you netting 1200 or just eating 1200? If you were eating 1200 and not eating back your exercise calories than you probably were sabotaging yourself.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    What do you mean you didn't lose "that much"? Any weight loss should be considered a success, so perhaps you had unrealistic expectations. You really should judge results based on measurements, photos and how your clothing fits and not scale weight. I'm surprised a nutritionist would tell you that you're starving yourself at 1200 calories a day. It is not possible to be starving on 1200 calories a day. If you would have stuck with the program and diet, I bet your scale weight would have caught up once your body adjusted. If you weren't following the diet, perhaps you weren't logging your calories accurately, or were eating too much sodium / bad fats.
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    What do you mean you didn't lose "that much"? Any weight loss should be considered a success, so perhaps you had unrealistic expectations. You really should judge results based on measurements, photos and how your clothing fits and not scale weight. I'm surprised a nutritionist would tell you that you're starving yourself at 1200 calories a day. It is not possible to be starving on 1200 calories a day. If you would have stuck with the program and diet, I bet your scale weight would have caught up once your body adjusted. If you weren't following the diet, perhaps you weren't logging your calories accurately, or were eating too much sodium / bad fats.

I agree with this. I ate 1200 and that was total, not net for the entire program. I lost 30 lbs and TONS of inches. The other thing to consider is what your macros are set to. I had my macros set to protein 50%, carbs 30%, fat 20%. If your carbs are too high or you are eating a lot of processed foods, you probably won't have wonderful success. You aren't starving on 1200 cals or I would be dead.

To each their own and I do believe that different things work for different ppl, but Jillian does recommend 1200 cals a day.
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    I think you should listen to your nutritionist about your daily requirements-she/he knows you and your body, health, and medical past. 1200 calories may be enough for some people but not all-unfortunately weight loss is not some one-size-fits-all system. It is possible for 1200 calories to work awesome for one person but cause another to completely binge when hungry, go into starvation mode, ect-which is a lot unhealthier than eating a few hundred more calories a day, IMHO.

I eat between 1600-1800 calories a day. I am not losing any weight on JMBR, but I really only have about 10 vanity pounds to lose and now with JMBR it is in my stomach area (I am finding it is a slow process to lose it). I am very toned and stronger than I have ever been, both strength and cardio wise. I have noticed some stomach fat creeping back on in the last few weeks-even though I stay within my calorie range (most days) and I think it has to do more with drinking beer. I really do believe in prioritizing macros-get that protein in, it helps hunger and feeds muscles. I am refocusing on placing my macros first (and not drinking wine or beer) for my last half.

I believe you can lose on 1400-1600 calories a day. Good luck!
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    I definitely agree with your nutritionist! When I saw the program and saw that Jillian wanted us to eat 1200 calories a day I immediately dismissed that! I personally did not think it was realistic or would be effective!

I am now on workouts 7/8 and have been eating between 1800-2200 calories doing the program and I am losing weight very effectively! Considering that I have had many social occasions and took a week off for a vacation I have lost 7lbs on the program which ain't too shabby too!

I believe that if you want to see results you need to fuel your body correctly! Most of my results have been seen in Phase 2 because I started eating better but I have seen a serious change in my body. People have told me that I look visibly smaller which is not normal for me! 7lbs does not normally make me look all that different but I'm gaining muscle and thats the difference. Its definitely much harder to gain muscle when eating at such low deficients. Remember its also about body composition not just weight!

Good luck with the rest of the program!
  • hello130s
    hello130s Posts: 14 Member
    I am trying to keep a net of 1600 cals. I tried doing this with WW and I was just too hungry. I dont want to feel like I'm starving or "dieting" :(

What have people done in the past or currently?
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    i saw my biggest & most consistent losses eating a total of 1750-2150 cals a day (i was eating part of my exercise cals back most of the time).
  • Scilla887
    Scilla887 Posts: 40 Member
    I read her books and knew better about how much I should be eating dailey if I want to lose weight. MFP does tell you how much you burn from normal daily activity. Mine is about 1600, so I eat about 1600 and try to burn that 400 calories to net 1200 calories. It's been working for me.
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    I've started the program today, but I'm not planning on following her diet. I'm going to do the workouts and eat what MFP and fitbit tells me to. But since I only have a deficit of 500 calories I'll try not to eat back all my exercise calories.
  • hollyelise68
    hollyelise68 Posts: 96 Member
    I've been eating 1400 calories and have lost 8 lbs. I am on week 4 this week, so I am happy with an 8 lb loss. My pants and shorts started falling off me so I finally went and got some new jeans- down from an 18 to a 16. I needed a dress and the 16s were too big and bought two in size 14.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    I've been eating 1400 calories and have lost 8 lbs. I am on week 4 this week, so I am happy with an 8 lb loss. My pants and shorts started falling off me so I finally went and got some new jeans- down from an 18 to a 16. I needed a dress and the 16s were too big and bought two in size 14.

That is awesome work, well done.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Personally, I don't think 1200 calories is enough for anybody. However, the more weight one has to lose, the larger the deficit can be. I really shot myself in the foot by eating 1200 calories, as I started the program at 5'6" 138 pounds. I ate at 1200-1400 precisely because those were the guidlelines recommended by Jillian. My body totally rebelled. I'm still trying to find a sweet spot where my body will trust that I'm not starving it. Jillian herself explains the difference between shedding "unhealthy fat" and "vanity weight" in her book "Slim for Life". When you're overweight, your body wants to let go of the fat. When you're biologically a healthy weight, as I am, your body will fight you to hold on to a "healthy cushion". I started seeing a lot more muscle growth once I increased my calories, which is important for me since I'm working on improving my skinny-fat physique. There should really be different guidelines for those with different starting weights. Also keep in mind that you can't drop any lower than 1200 calories, so if you plateau at 1200, there's nowhere to go. My personal recommendation would be a 1500 calorie minimum if you're overweight, and quite possibly more if you're starting at a healthy weight.
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    I lost just over 4lbs in phase one eating around 1700 cals a day and I had a few days where I went over that. I honestly don't think I could manage on 1200 cal