this sucks and i can't take it anymore

Options
tartsul
tartsul Posts: 298 Member
so, my protein powder makes me have gas. not just regular gas. we're talking STINKY gas. :embarassed: i can't handle it anymore. i usually have HALF a scoop in the morning after my workout. i might mix it with milk to just drink, or throw it in with my oatmeal or something. does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what might cause this or what i can do about it? i'm thinking it's also in combination with the increased amount of vegetables i've been eating. i mean, the protein powder caused this in the past, but it wasn't this bad. :sad: UGH!

i get a lot of protein from the food i eat, but i like to have the extra on days that i workout.

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hehe. I started having "mystery gas" myself a few weeks ago and I think I've narrowed it down to the protein bars I like to snack. I didn't have one today and I'm not having any intestinal upset. Very depressing as I really enjoy them. I haven't noticed any issue with my shakes, though. Perhaps you should try a different brand...?
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Try a different brand or buy some with only whey isolate. Many times they add fiber and other things to the protein and it's not really the "protein" as much as the other stuff that causes the intestinal issues.. I can't do GNC's protein powders. They're filled with all kinds of crap.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with whey powder- gas, bloating, cramps, non-stop trips to the bathroom... the whole package. What a way to find out you've got some lactose intolerance going on, right?! I found that mixing it with water instead of milk helped, but only by a little. Since I switched to whey isolate and non-dairy milk (almond, mostly), I've had absolutely zero problems. Sometimes I mix in some vanilla Greek yogurt to make it more shake-like. Greek yogurt seems to play nice with my innards (unlike regular yogurt), and has a TON of protein.

Personally, I'd try using whey isolate with just water or some other non-dairy liquid for a few workouts as a test to see if the lactose/ whey is what's bothering you. Or just put it in your oatmeal.

As a side note, I've been doing a bit of research on protein bars, and some will tell you right on the label that they contain sugar alcohols and may have a laxative effect. I'm guessing that this would also cause gas as well as various other digestive system issues, but I don't know if whey powders have the same ingredients.

Best of luck!
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ah man this made me LOL. So not what I expected.

I think I had the same problem using GNC's protein powder. But I recently switched to Trutein based on some recommendations from this site and I don't think it's quite as bad anymore.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Protien gas is the worst! :sick: It's a combination of all of the protien, but the poweder def fuels the fire!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Ah man this made me LOL. So not what I expected.

I think I had the same problem using GNC's protein powder. But I recently switched to Trutein based on some recommendations from this site and I don't think it's quite as bad anymore.

i use trutein! i love it, all of the flavors are great. i think it's just the combination of the powder plus all the vegetables i've been eating. i don't plan on stopping with the veggies, so i think the protein powder has got to go. i am trying to get my protein from just food now. i didn't use my protein powder this morning, and already the problem has died waaaayyyy down... whew.

oh, and i had some recommendations from the NROL4W facebook group to drink a glass of chocolate milk as my after workout snack. there's not extra protein in the chocolate or anything, which is what confused me at first, but there are some really convincing articles about how the protein in the milk, along with the carbs/sugar from the chocolate are the perfect combination for refueling muscles immediately, as well as for an extended time. drinking chocolate milk is OK with me! and so my quest continues for my high protein foods that i can eat on a regular basis besides tons of meat.