Getting back on track

Options
If you drifted away from paleo/primal what did you do to help yourself get back on track? I was really good for five weeks and then had a cheat and after that I never really covered. I feel horrible after eating junk, yet continue to put myself through the pain for whatever reason. I am trying really hard to get back on track with being primal. I haven't been horrible on my diet all together but have mostly been eating low carb with processed junk and bad condiments. I have to do low carb due to insulin resistance but want to be low carb primal. I have been relying a lot of dairy and have to cut it out due to stomach issues and itching after eating it, apparently I am lactose sensitive or intolerant and never knew it until now. I really want to get back on track and stop with the processed crap but I am having a hard time with mostly condiments and their bad oils and added sugar. I need help!!

Replies

• Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    Do you make your own dressings and whatnot? There are a lot of good recipes out there! I make my own Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing, Avo-ziki sauce (it's like a Greek tatziki sauce), BBQ sauce, etc. I usually pack my own dressings in little bottles if I go out to eat, which helps a lot. It takes a little bit of preparation to make the dressings, but it's worth it.
  • deanna198888
    Options
    I have not been due to laziness but I made some dressing earlier using all paleo ingredients and I am going to make some bbq later so that will definitely help. I want to make some mayo but only have olive oil and will have to whip it by hand.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would commit to a Whole30 or something similar to get back in the groove.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think you answered it yourself. Stop being lazy and don't buy processed junk! I snapped out of being lazy by committing to a Whole30. Just a week left.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I am lazy and not planning on changing that any time soon. So, I buy prepackaged, pre-cut fruit and veggies and things I don't have to cook (especially now, since it's hot and hot food is almost as bad as a hot kitchen). I had apple slices and sunbutter for dinner one night. I eat a lot of jerky and pre-pack baby carrots for breakfast. If I were so inclined, I could even make a smoothie (except that it involves work).

There's no reason that you have to put a lot of effort into it.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Options
    Depending on your budget, you can also check out Steve's Original Paleo Goods. He sells dressings, ketchup, and BBQ sauce... all paleo. It's good for the lazy, but it's a little pricey. You can also find some paleo-friendly dressings at Whole Foods, like Tessemae's or Cindy's Kitchen. Read the labels, though. Not all of them are paleo!
  • deanna198888
    Options
    Depending on your budget, you can also check out Steve's Original Paleo Goods. He sells dressings, ketchup, and BBQ sauce... all paleo. It's good for the lazy, but it's a little pricey. You can also find some paleo-friendly dressings at Whole Foods, like Tessemae's or Cindy's Kitchen. Read the labels, though. Not all of them are paleo!

Thanks for letting me know about Steve's! The prices do not seem that expensive, but I didn't see where it said the size of the bottles of sauce. Do you by any chance know what size they are? I only go to Wholefoods about once a month but will look closer for paleo sauces next time I go.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Thanks for letting me know about Steve's! The prices do not seem that expensive, but I didn't see where it said the size of the bottles of sauce. Do you by any chance know what size they are? I only go to Wholefoods about once a month but will look closer for paleo sauces next time I go.

The dressings are in 12 oz bottles--I don't know why they don't include that in the product descriptions but you can see it in the photo of the ingredients/nutrition label.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    FYI, I think Steve's is only available online. Not sure. Absolutely Gluten Free crackers are now available at the WF near me. Potato starch, no rice/corn/grains. Super awesome flavor too.
  • iyamkristin
    iyamkristin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you buy a hand blender aka immersion blender you can make mayo without having to whip it by hand...in less than a minute! =)
  • Mrs_Duh
    Options
    FYI, I think Steve's is only available online. Not sure. Absolutely Gluten Free crackers are now available at the WF near me. Potato starch, no rice/corn/grains. Super awesome flavor too.

Unfortunately, Steve's is only available online.
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    Spices and herbs! + tomato!
    tomatoes + herbs/spices + blender = sauces- works for everything i like.
    tomatoes + herbs/spices + onions + mad chopping skillz = salsa- works for everything i like.
    chopped tomatoes + herbs/spices + pre-chopped onions = instant salsa- works for everything i like.