So tired of seeing VLCD massive losers in my feed.

Options
:frown: I am very sad to see so many weight losers in my feed on VLCD`s. Of course I am jealous. I haven`t lost weight in a long time. But I also know that doesn`t work for me any more. I guess that someday it won`t work for them either.

I wish I had more friends who lose eating a decent amount for their size. I think it is impossible for me to lose right now. I did metabolism repair before and gave up. Maybe right before the finish line, maybe miles before the finish line.

How can I keep my motivation when the ones who seem to lose are on VLCD`s. It is almost like a faith in a God you can`t see and have never heard. When I have tried so many other things, why would this work??

Hah, sigh........

Replies

• jbnl1991
    jbnl1991 Posts: 149
    Options
    friend request sent!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I used to have a couple of friends like that...lthey didn't last long on my status feed!

I've got about 4lb to lose to my first goal, realistically my next goal will be about losing another 7lb in total.

I currently eat about 1850kcals using TDEE regardless of exercise.

My choice of exercise is running and I've started You Are Your Own Gym.

Sent a friend request too!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Keep asking yourself, and perhaps them if you see 1 lb losses posted every other day or such - how much of that is muscle mass - lowering their metabolism?
    How much of that is other LBM, lowering metabolism too?

How little will they have to eat for the rest of their lives to not gain weight now?
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I actually removed someone from my feed because she made the grand announcement that she was going to drastically cut calories and only eat one substantial meal a day (or as she put it, one "large" meal a day). No thank you. I'm about to go through my list. I feel bad because there a few I do talk to, but I can't sit by and watch them starve themselves. And that is not what I'm about.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    Thanks guys that helps. I will look back at this topic every time I need a boost to pick me up when I think I will never lose this darn fat. I really don`t need encouragement to eat more, but sometimes...

Thanks for the friend requests sent. I am on them like a fly on well, you know...
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I too feel that way sometimes. But my goal is so much more long term than just trying to lose _lbs in _weeks. All of the women in my family have been low calorie dieters off and on and now that they are getting into their 40s and 50s, they have even more to lose than ever. And guess what? The low cals don't work anymore. My goal is to be healthy, look great, and to be able to sustain this lifestyle indefinitely.
    VLCDs won't give me that. Try to be the "good example" for them!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you would like. I will never go back to starving again. EM2WL does work, you just have to be patient and give your body time to adjust and respond...
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. It's also a bummer to look at their food diaries. They're so happy now ("so and so lost 3.4 lbs since her last weigh in"), but they're going to be frustrated when their weight loss completely comes to a halt and they plateau for months. I just try to remember that it's way, way better for *me* to lose weight slowly, eat enough, and feel like I am just living my life rather than dieting.
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. It's also a bummer to look at their food diaries. They're so happy now ("so and so lost 3.4 lbs since her last weigh in"), but they're going to be frustrated when their weight loss completely comes to a halt and they plateau for months. I just try to remember that it's way, way better for *me* to lose weight slowly, eat enough, and feel like I am just living my life rather than dieting.

...or when they find it impossible to maintain and gain it all back. Been there, done that, and I refuse to do it again. EM2WL is for life, comparatively easy to maintain, and is really going to help me tone up so that when all of this fat falls off I won't just be "skinny fat". Nice.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am eating at TDEE and doing insanity and losing nothing. I did turbofire before this and was stuck for 6 weeks. And my vlcd friends are dropping pounds like mad. :,(
  • heybales
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am eating at TDEE and doing insanity and losing nothing. I did turbofire before this and was stuck for 6 weeks. And my vlcd friends are dropping pounds like mad. :,(

I'd suggest that if you are doing insanity and not going weight slowly, you probably aren't at TDEE.

Insanity is such a high carb burn activity, that it trains the body to store more glucose, of course with required water weight.
    Now, unless you did high level aerobic/anaerobic stuff before and body has stored as much glucose as it can, you should be gaining eating at TDEE with that workout.

So how long a reset are you on eating at hopeful TDEE?
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    Why would she be gaining at hopeful TdEE doing lots of carb burning workouts? You mean she should be gaining muscle? Or does she need to eat more??
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you would like. I will never go back to starving again. EM2WL does work, you just have to be patient and give your body time to adjust and respond...

Thanks, I really hope I won`t give up this time. I started to believe crap again because despite doing reset last year I didn`t lose. I probably didn` t do it long enough. This time I am more mentally prepared.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a few ladies that eat 1200 calories/day on my feed and while I certainly don't care how people eat or even what they eat, I do feel bad for them. I lose on 1800-1900/day I have a hard enough time staying within those guidelines. Feel free to add me. Can't promise a squeaky clean food diary but I'm active, I eat and I can be pretty nice :p
  • heybales
    Options
    Why would she be gaining at hopeful TdEE doing lots of carb burning workouts? You mean she should be gaining muscle? Or does she need to eat more??

Ah, you do high carb burn workouts, the body's response is to store more glucose.

Any muscle gained would be off-set with fat lost, so that by itself, if even gaining the possible 1 lb in 2 months of muscle mass (yes, it's that slow or slower even with a true lifting workout, insanity ain't that), would not be overall weight increase.

Since glucose stores with water, increased weight despite eating at maintenance or even a deficit. Only way for weight to go up in deficit or maintenance - water.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You need to stick with your goals and ignore the people that are starving and dropping weight like mad. In all likely they are losing muscle. I prefer to gain muscle and lose fat. Feel free to friend me.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options

Since glucose stores with water, increased weight despite eating at maintenance or even a deficit. Only way for weight to go up in deficit or maintenance - water.

So I am just keeping glucose and that prevents me from ever losing enough fat to offset the numbers on the scale? Consistently 1000- 700 under my fit bit burn estimates and in 3 years just stayed the same. You gave me advice and I put the numbers in the spreadsheet. My average is 2300 per day now, average burn 2700. Too early to see any change from that, one week only. Eating more will really make the difference I was looking for? Hope is all I`ve got.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options

Why does it seem to work for some and not others? Everyone says it just takes longer. It sure isn`t hard to eat this way, more calories, but when the point is to lose fat it seems counter productive.
  • heybales
    Options
    So I am just keeping glucose and that prevents me from ever losing enough fat to offset the numbers on the scale? Consistently 1000- 700 under my fit bit burn estimates and in 3 years just stayed the same. You gave me advice and I put the numbers in the spreadsheet. My average is 2300 per day now, average burn 2700. Too early to see any change from that, one week only. Eating more will really make the difference I was looking for? Hope is all I`ve got.

Storing glucose doesn't prevent you from losing fat.

It can make you not lose any weight, while you are actually losing fat and gaining LBM, in this case glucose and water are LBM.

In fact, having more glucose stores and using them helps fat burn.

After you eat, insulin goes up, fat burning from the cells is turned off, carb storage is turned on, including burning what you eat. That continues for the 4-5 hrs or until what you ate is used up.
    Then insulin drops, fat burning turns back on.

Well, if you have big glucose stores that you empty on regular basis, then that 4-5 hrs becomes 2-3 hrs, so an extra 1-2 hrs of fat-burning mode. Of course, probably resting so not a huge difference, but still.

Or if lifting, your metabolism actually goes up for repairing the hard work you did, and the normal 4-5 hrs shrinks because the food goes to repair, and back in to fat-burning mode sooner, and with increased metabolism.

So that is why additional glucose, with required water, is all non-fat mass, otherwise called Lean Body Mass, and if that is higher, metabolism is higher.

Don't worry though, you can only make so many stores in existing muscle, then it stops increasing, and only the fat loss shows up on the scale.
  • alleekat
    alleekat Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I feel your pain. I did Insanity eating under TDEE, and lost nothing - not even a centimeter loss either.