Struggling with perspective

Options
lindakay33
lindakay33 Posts: 5 Member
Hi everyone:

I am very happy to have found this group - Christian, married and moms. :) I have gone up and down in my weight over the years. Biggest loss was 35 lbs back in 2008, got down to 170 lb and felt amazing! Now after 2 kids I have been trying and trying to get back on track and not succeeding (currently at 210). I believe I am a food addict and that there are deeper issues, but I don't know how to find out what they are or how to deal with them.

Right now I am feeling like I'll never be happy. If I'm eating right, I'm not happy because I can't just eat what I want. If I eat what I want, I'm not happy because I'm overweight and unhealthy and don't feel good about myself. This in itself is probably one of my issues, basing my happiness on this rather than God. But I am struggling to be close to Him again and rebuilding my relationship. Hard with two little ones who will be 2 and 3 this September (one year apart). Feel like I never have any alone time, and if I do I feel guilty and rushed, which I hate. :/

Any encouragement would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Linda

Replies

• kzeug
    kzeug Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Do you give yourself a cheat day? My husband came up with this concept a few years ago and he is a P90X workout guy. We eat healthy meals about 5-6 days a week and then usually on Sunday, we eat whatever we want. One day, we went out for pizza and ice cream. I do this regularly and have lost approximately 13 lb. since having my third baby three months ago. A cheat day will not hurt you and since your body gets used to eating healthy meals, you'll probably find your cravings are not as extreme as they used to be. And just remember, eating healthy means lots of lean proteins, fruits and veggies and portion control.

God wants you to be happy "...I have come that you may have life and have it abundantly." Pray that He helps you have self-control where your eating habits are concerned. He will give you the strength you need to keep up a healthy lifestyle. But also remember that He loves you no matter what. Your joy is in Him and it is an enduring love.

Psalm 37:4: Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your hearts desires.

Your sister in Christ,
    Kelsey
  • lindakay33
    Options
    Thanks, Kelsey. Yesterday I believe God showed me that I need to die to self. Just like with any other addiction, to overcome you have to say no, enough is enough, turn your back on it, and turn to God and allow His power to help you overcome it. Gluttony is a sin, and I know when I'm in the wrong. I have asked God to convict me and I want to confess it and receive His forgiveness when it happens. I know things will not be perfect going forward, but with perseverance, I know God will help me overcome this.

Thank you for the reminder "that He loves you no matter what." :)

I also ordered the book Made to Crave. I've heard great things about it and can't wait to read it.
  • Haley_Diane
    Haley_Diane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This journey we're on is a daily, hourly commitment. As a Mama, you have to give yourself some grace. Your body is still recovering from pregnancy. You've had that adventure twice, and every mama knows that raising little ones is quite an adventure! Your weight loss will be another adventure. You can do this! You have other mamas like us to support you. We're on the same adventure.

Just as you'd forgive and show grace to your little ones when they spill, you need to show yourself grace and forgiveness when you step off the path you've set for yourself.

I thought the same thing about not ever feeling happy because you can't eat what you want. I'm still struggling with that lie. But I've made a little progress. What I did was I took it as a challenge. I thought I'd never be able to survive without pop. I don't even crave it now. It tastes too nasty sweet to me. The thing that really changed it for me is that I log everything I eat on MFP. Seriously. Without thinking I filched one of my daughter's Whoppers yesterday and before I knew it I had eaten four of them. I forced myself to log them. I was disappointed in myself.

With logging my foods I've discovered that I need far fewer calories to be full than I thought! My biggest successes so far are that I don't have to take my heartburn meds anymore! I don't ever feel nauseated-full after meals! And when I look down I can see my toes. Sisters, you know how excited it is when your chest sticks out further than your tummy? That's something to celebrate.

I hope you like Made to Crave as much as I'm enjoying it. A couple of us are reading through it together and haven't formally started yet. You're welcome to join us.

You can do this. We moms are stronger than people give us credit for. ;-)
  • lindakay33
    Options
    Thanks Haley. Appreciate your encouragement. :)