Cheating and Ketosis

Options
hollycreel
hollycreel Posts: 16 Member
I am struggling! Saturday is my hubby's birthday, and his Mom is treating us to a movie and a night out for dinner. I sort of want to say "screw the diet" and have fun... but I dread that one day of cheating will make it harder in the long run? I've been working on the Keto diet for a few weeks now, but recently only this last week have I been able to successfully understand my food and meet my goals. I feel so excited! I also found the Keto calculator online and realized I was eating way too much protein. I have not been testing using Ketostix, so I have no idea where I am at. I do know I have been eating less than 20g of carbs for the last 4-5 days now. ... However, I just want to splurge this weekend... will doing that make it harder to go into ketosis the following week? ... Also, for future notes... if I'm in ketosis for a few weeks, and then splurge, does that effect the ability to go into ketosis after the "cheating" time is over? ... Let me know what you think! Thanks! :) - Holly

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do a cyclical ketogenic diet variation. I eat keto macros for 7~14 days. Then for one day either weekly or bi-weekly depending on how much I worked out. I would have a massive 24 hr refeed period to hit 1000g+ Carbs. during that 24 hrs I would eat naearly 8k+ worth of calories!

After such a day I can hit the gym so hard it's not even funny... Never thought I see myself getting closer to my goal of bench pressing 100lbs dumbbells (Currently at 90's). And I only weigh 125 lbs!?

If you wanna "refeed" then I recommend doing a light full body workout + 30 min or more of light paced cardio before hand. This will deplete your muscle and liver glycogens so that during your fun day most the Carbs will be going to refill muscle glycogens instead of going to fat storage.

Afterwards go on a protein/veggie diet for 2 days. Zero Fat! This will force the body use the Carbs in your system to allow you reenter ketosis again. I been doing this for 5 months now and it hasnt affected my weight loss.

Only downside is to expect added water weight. 1g of Carbs eaten will pull in 4g of water retention. But dont worry it will go away in 3~4 days.
  • hollycreel
    Options
    Thanks Hoshi! That advice is awesome! I am very much going to try that. Someday I would like to work up to lifting for fun, and seriously practicing some hardcore yoga! :)
  • hollycreel
    Options
    Would you recommend doing the 30+ minutes of cardio in the morning of my fun day? Or would I do it the night before?
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You can do it when ever. Just needs to be done before the refeed.