Horse Dilemma - need some unbiased advice

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
I have the opportunity to buy back my former show mare. I sold her many years ago due to my (ex) husband being in the military, moving, etc. He was the only one with an income and said she had to go. So I sold her. I should have sold him! LOL Anyway, she has spent the last 8 years (She is 12 now. I owned her from 6mos - 4yrs) being a show horse for a little girl that is now a teenager. She has won A LOT with this kid and helped her to earn several thousands of dollars in 4H scholarships. She has extensive professional training, tests completely sound on vet check, up to date on everything, etc. The owners are in a bad spot - husband had a stroke 6 months ago and not working, wife in a bad car accident and broke her back, can't ride anymore. They are selling all but their daughter's new champion show horse. All their other horses are going, including the mare. She called me and offered her to me at a ridiculously low price. I REALLY want her back. REALLY!!! I am into showing and my daughter is in 4H so the mare would be a great fit.

The dilemma.....

In order to buy her I have to sell one of my horses that I have now. Both are older (17 & 20) but really good horses as far as temperament goes. I have gotten the most responses on Snazzy. Snazzy is SUCH a good boy. He will pack anyone around, is great for kids, super well mannered, bomb proof as any horse I have ever seen, etc. He has some old horse issues - arthritis in the left hind fetlock and in his hips. Nothing major that a chiropractor can't alleviate. He is still great for trail rides and pleasure riding. He is not a show horse and he can't compete because of the way he travels due to the arthritis.
I have a lady who is totally in love with him. She wants to buy him so bad. She just wants a packer that she can teach her kid to ride, who is sane and safe on the trails. She just rides for pleasure.

I know it seems like such an easy choice but it isn't. Snazzy has been a great horse for us and I wish I didn't have to choose but if I want her, I have to let one of them go and Lonesome is too old, no one has even inquired about him. The mare is a good horse too, has been a kids horse, great on trails, super calm, etc. I love Snazzy but I want to make the wisest choice. Dixie is competition ready and that's what we like to do, along with trail riding, etc.

So, why is this so hard? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Replies

• greyhoundphile
    greyhoundphile Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My first question: Is there ANY way you can keep all three, and possibly move Lonesome to a retirement pasture or cheaper location (if you aren't boarding at home) since he sounds like a sweet old pasture pet at this point?

If not, and I understand that 3 is a stretch, and you feel confident that this lady really would take great care of Snazzy, then I would sell him to them. You have to put Snazzy's interests first. If this family/lady can give him the attention and rides he needs, and will take care of him, go for it. It sounds like you really love this mare and would like her back, and if she offers you more of what you want to do in the future, then go for it, as long as Snazzy has a good place to go.

Now that said, I need to add the caveat that I'm the kind of person who can't let go of my horses, even when they no longer suit my riding level. I just stay bored with them until the end. :) So anyway, there's my two cents!
  • spotteddrafter
    spotteddrafter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Gosh, this is a really hard spot!

I'd say let Snazzy go to the lady, but then again you hear so many horror stories about "perfect homes" turning into the perfect nightmare. :( Is there any way you could free lease Snazzy to this lady? It's not the perfect situation, but it might help you keep track of him a bit better.

Good luck!
  • Muff51
    Muff51 Posts: 8
    Options
    Tough decision!
    Perhaps, let Snazzy go with a first right of refusal contract which mandates care and visitation periodically. Look on the Chronicle of the Horse for some sample contracts. Horses live for today and look to us to think of tomorrow.
    All The Best!
  • magicalpony
    magicalpony Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree; is there anyway you could look into leasing Snazzy out? I would feel horrible if you got him a 'great' home that turned out not to be a great home, when it's much more likely for a younger mare to find a forever home.
    Perhaps retire your older guy?
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I couldn't keep three horses for several reasons and in order to buy the mare, I had to sell one of my current horses.
    I took Snazzy to his new home today. From the moment I met the owner, it felt right. She has two other horses, both mares, that are beautiful, fat, healthy, and obviously well taken care of. I was sad to hand him over, but I felt good about him going to this lady. She signed the Bill of Sale AND the Right of First Refusal contract so I know he will either be with her or potentially come back to me. He was standing under a tree, munching on their nice, green grass when I pulled out of their place. I am sad but happy that he has a nice home. I hope they are as happy with him as we were and I hope he does as well for them as he did for us. I know he will, he is just that kind of horse.

On the other hand, I am super excited about bringing Dixie home next weekend. I can't wait. My daughter and I will drive up to get her together. I hope my kid loves her. I cant WAIT to ride her!

Thanks again for your responses!
  • Szuka
    Szuka Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you listened to your heart. "Happy Reuniting" with Dixie!
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it all worked out well in the end.