Spread out your calorie intake? Does it matter?

Options
ruthlesswr
ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
I've noticed that I eat very lightly at breakfast, and really end up having most of my calorie intake at night. I'm thinking this is probably bad, but I don't know! Do you guys make an effort to keep the calories eaten at breakfast, lunch, and dinner (excluding snacks) the same? Does it matter?

Replies

• OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Quote: "Leita, you eat like a snake." - My friend Kate :laugh:

Most days I skip breakfast, have lunch sometime between 11 and 2 and dinner around 7. Some days I skip lunch if I'm busy. Probably not the healthiest way to eat for most people, but I feel better when I give my guts time to digest and rest. The food diary is a huge help. If by suppertime I'm getting toward the danger zone I'll eat a little less. If I've not eaten enough I tack on a snack after dinner. Nibbling during the day gets me in trouble so I try not to.

I don't believe there's a best way that suits everyone. Those that believe a certain way is the only way will probably have a little relearning to do as they get older. :wink:

Edit to add: whatever you're doing is working. If your body is feeling happy you're surely doing it right for you!
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Of course it is often said (at least over here in Belgium ;-)...) that you should eat breakfast like an emperor, lunch like a king, and dinner like a beggar...

But since a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, you won't get fatter from a dinner-calorie than from a breakfast-calorie...

However:
    If you stepped on the scale this morning, eat nothing during the day, and binged in the evening, and you step again on the scale tomorrow morning, it will look like you have gained more weight than when you had eaten today's ration all for breakfast and fasted the rest of the day.
    But if you weren't going to weigh-in tomorrow, but only in two weeks, and you kept eating the same way (only in the morning or only in the evening) your gain or loss would be the same.

On the other hand: I know that when I have a heavy meal in the evening, I will have a rather disturbed sleep... so in that way, eating (to much) in the evening is bad for me...
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Of course it is often said (at least over here in Belgium ;-)...) that you should eat breakfast like an emperor, lunch like a king, and dinner like a beggar...

On the other hand: I know that when I have a heavy meal in the evening, I will have a rather disturbed sleep... so in that way, eating (to much) in the evening is bad for me...

I remember hearing that years and years ago and it makes good sense. I used to have terrible heart burn at night and eating late made it unbearable.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I generally eat my first meal about 3 or 4 hours after I wake up. Then I eat all day with no really big meals. It works for me.

I have a good friend who has never had a weight problem. He is very fit. He can go days without eating. He just "doesn't think of it" and is never hungry. Then he eats a lot in one sitting. This has been true since he was a child. It works for him.

If it works for you and is within your calories, not too much or too little, then it's great.
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    For me a smaller dinner seems to work best,I notice (for me) I seem to drop weight easier that way. I like a nice breakfast, a good size lunch,and a light dinner,not tonight though,going to a friends chinese restaurant for dinner.;)
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I think it sounds like it doesn't matter, and I'm not going to stress over it.