Nopales (cactus) to lower blood sugar

Options
Lizzym911
Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
I want to know if anyone else has tried it, i have family and friends who swear by it.I have tried it and found it to work for me so far. last night i had a bowl of spaghetti which usually will make my blood sugar high the next morning like 180-220 easily this morning it was 64 which is very low.. i know ive tested it before adding chopped nopales to an egg burrito and my blood sugar was 40 points lower then when i dont add it to my food. you can make salads and salsa with it and add it to anything you'd a green pepper to. i'm going to keep on eating it because its also just plain healthy.

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    i did read something about nopales effect on BG. Haven't tried it yet as it seems to be impossible to find here. Is it similar in taste to any common food?
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    I think it's kind of like a bell pepper, its got a little crunch but not hard, and you have to cook them right or they can get very slimy like okra, but after cooking you rinse a few times ans store in the fridge and can rinse before using. I use them in salsa, omelette ,burrito, salad, I add it to my pasta , you can add it to lots of foods, they are found in most Hispanic markets but can be bought at Walmart in the Hispanic isle in the jar pickled, I use those also but rinse them well cause of the salt.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This is also called a "prickley pear" I use to see them at a store in Michigan, but have never seen then here in Tennessee.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful news! Do you have any links on pages explaining how to prepare them? We've got a nice BIG wild one in our yard that I can go harvest from. I just need to know how to prep it, or else my mom will toss it before I get a chance to see if it works for me.
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    Check out youtube there's lots of recipes..and online just put in nopales preparation.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Spotted these at my local Walmart for $3.29 today. It was a big jar and admittedly, I was too chicken to throw one in my cart. :laugh:
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    Try them , just drain well and you can add then to an egg burrito, omelette , beans, chile beans, salsa ,salad, pasta almost anything you add green peppers to.
  • JaceyMarieS
    Options
    Rats! i detest green peppers. Love banana and all the hot peppers though so I might still try them (if I ever find them - will have to look at Walmart) and hope they taste different to me.
  • Lizzym911
    Options
    its hard to explain the taste.. but i dont think it has much of a taste at all..the jar ones have a pickled taste
  • JaceyMarieS
    Options
    Finally found a jar of the pickles ones...these were called nopalitos, but I'm assuming they're the same thing. Interesting taste - luckily i do not think they taste like green peppers, but maybe similar to a soft, mild pickled jalapeno. I won't be eating them straight from a jar since they aren't crunchy (I was hoping for something like a dill pickle) but added some to grilled vegetables tonight and could definitely see using in an omelette.

Thanks!
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    you just take the thorns off and chop away.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    *bump* gonna have to look for these... thanks!! :bigsmile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Bumping this too. Would be great to use a natural product that lowers blood sugar instead of a medication.
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    They also come in capsules. I get them in mexico. I also get the fresh chopped ones. They are chopping them on the street.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I bought the jar at Wal-Mart and ate 2Tbl with my Chipotle burrito bol last nite (with extra rice!). 2 hours after eating, my reading was 114 and this morning it was 90. I'm really excited about this and ordered a bottle of the capsules from Amazon for when I can't eat the pickled ones from Wal-Mart. By the way, I didn't mind the taste of these at all... and I HATE the taste and smell of bell peppers so this makes me doubly happy about the Nopales :happy:
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I bought the jar at Wal-Mart and ate 2Tbl with my Chipotle burrito bol last nite (with extra rice!). 2 hours after eating, my reading was 114 and this morning it was 90. I'm really excited about this and ordered a bottle of the capsules from Amazon for when I can't eat the pickled ones from Wal-Mart. By the way, I didn't mind the taste of these at all... and I HATE the taste and smell of bell peppers so this makes me doubly happy about the Nopales :happy:

Can I ask what your normal blood sugar 2 hours after a meal is? Very interested in learning more about nopales - my BG is out of control.
  • loveanddestroyx
    loveanddestroyx Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yummy I love nopales with scrambled eggs! If it really helps well that's even better.