Any runners/joggers here?

Options
Tripaway
Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
Hey guys,

I've recently begun jogging/running, and I wondered if anyone had any ideas about speed, specifically, how fast is a good jogging speed? I've currently been averaging between 4.5 and 5.5 mph, but I wondered what my ultimate goal should be. I don't ever anticipate running a 6-minute mile, naturally, but what speed should I set my goal for?

I've looked on various websites, and I've gotten the very vague "anywhere between 5 and 10 mph" is a good jogging speed, but I was hoping any one of you runners here would be able to narrow it down a bit more for me. Based on height and weight and whatnot I assume I'll have to run faster to make the distance in the same time as a taller person, but I'm not entirely sure what I should aim for.

Any experienced runners here who would be willing to help me out?

Thanks!

~ Jared

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    One of the awesome things about jogging and running is that you only have to worry about one competitor, yourself. A good speed is one that you're satisfied with.

Here is the Army standards tables(http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm). Based on my age 47, I'd need to do a 9 minute, 45 second mile for two miles to pass.
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do about 5-6 mph. However the pinched sciatic nerve in my lower back isn't allowing it. I'll continue doing my 3.5-3.6 mph brisk walks until I figure something else out. I still burn the calories, just not as fast.
  • dad040859
    dad040859 Posts: 66
    Options
    Quoting the other guys and agreeing...whatever you are comfortable at that allows you to get your heart rate to a decent place. Also, what are your goals? Increased time/distance? A 5k? Marathon? Before my knees gave out, I trained at 10-11 minute miles. Believe me, it was gradual; run 45 seconds, walk 15, etc. After a few months, took a chance and ran a 5k, and was hooked. Did that for a couple of years, then moved up to an 8k (Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago). Got so full of myself that I ran the Chicago Marathon in '03 and '04, and the half in '07. Unfortunately, I didn't train properly for the '04 marathon, and I paid the price with my knees. The half-marathon in '07 was an effort to see if I could come back, but that didn't work out so well. My advice - listen to your body, and listen to professional runners on training tips and techniques (do as I say, not as I did!). Good luck!
  • Tripaway
    Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for the that website! That's more along the lines of what I was looking for - a "standard" goal to set myself to achieve. While I definitely appreciate the "as fast as you feel comfortable," which is still true, I like charts and standards haha.

Thanks a lot for that! I'll start working toward my age range of 13:18 for 2 miles - I'm currently at ~26:38 haha.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I think at 30 you should be able to reach a 9 minute mile in short order if you really take up running. I'd do 3 miles and slowly increase the pace as it becomes comfortable--and it will. Key thing is to be gradual, injuries really screw things up. Run/walk mix is ok until you get in better shape. When I moved from 3 mile runs to 6 it sort of opened up the gate to faster and longer (including a marathon) because you get runner's high and just cruise.
  • kevinosity
    Options
    I've recently started running myself (about 9 weeks ago) and I have to agree with everyone else: it's really what you're comfortable with. I'm going to train for speed down the road but right now it's all about getting my body used to it. Regardless, the point is to work up a good sweat and increase your heart rate.