PhD students!!

Options
Joannesmith2818
Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
Hi,

I have just joined this group and I am hoping to make some like minded friends. I am a PhD student at Hull York Medical school at Hull (UK). I am studying head and neck cancer immunology.

I am losing 28lbs and am halfway there!!

Look forward to meeting you all !

Jo

Replies

• beelikethebug1116
    beelikethebug1116 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a third year doc student studying counseling in North Carolina. Feel free to add me! (I could use some support in trying to lose weight while writing a dissertation... :-)
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am a fourth year doctoral student in Clinical Psychology. Feel free to add me!
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    dissertation writing is so stressful! i remember cramming down a slice of starbuck's pumpkin loaf while trying to finish my proposal draft...ugh.

i'm on to data collection now and trying to find better ways to manage my stress. what phase of the dissertation process are you in?
  • beelikethebug1116
    Options
    Hey! I'm sorry—I just saw this! I haven't proposed yet. I have good drafts of Chapters 1 and 3 done, and am about halfway done with a first draft of Chapter 2.
  • crosbymo
    crosbymo Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm about to start a PhD program in Clinical Psych at Utah woohoo Feel free to friend me!

P.S. Not going to be that active in the next month or so since I'll be moving and getting organized!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey! Third-year (really 3.5) PhD in Skeletal Muscle Physiology at Virginia Tech. I am ending a short run as an Instructor for a summer course and about to get back to normal research.
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm about to take my comprehensive exams toward my PhD in Educational Studies and Research (Research, Evaluation, Statistics, and Assessment); I'm in Mississippi :)
  • beelikethebug1116
    Options
    I'm about to take my comprehensive exams toward my PhD in Educational Studies and Research (Research, Evaluation, Statistics, and Assessment); I'm in Mississippi :)

You have my respect...I had to take 3 classes in that department as part of my coursework, and they KILLED me. MANOVAs are not my friend. I'm glad they have you. ;-)
  • wool_gathering
    wool_gathering Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! I'm just starting my fourth year (!!) of a PhD in archaeology at the University of Arizona.Almost done with my proposal, but I'm procrastinating a bit...I'm not quite emotionally ready to start I think.
  • Rebane1
    Rebane1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! My area is somewhere between ruminant metabolism, milk fat, rumen environment etc at Estonian University of Life sciences. Feels like I have been in uni forever....
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone thanks for the replies. It is definitely hard work doing a PhD but it will be worth it. I am hoping I can keep up my routine when i'm writing :/ ... that's going to be the hard bit. Doing the exps is fine as I am in a lab where i cant eat anyway!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I think the routine is essential to writing! Especially if you work from home, it can be really hard to get started. Writing my lit review required me to schedule one paragraph/section per day and keep things in a routine. I am in a lull for experiments currently because my animal studies are done but my human study is still going. :/ Also I am totally feeling burnt out because my first two years were absolutely ridiculous. Plus I am only doing a PhD because that's the only way to become a full professor...and this summer I got a taste of teaching as an Instructor with my very own class and it's been AMAZING...so now I'm like, wtf? I have to finish this dissertation still? AUUUGHHHH
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    In regards to your routine and working from home statement . . . I quickly learned I do not have the self-discipline to effectively work from home and rented a research carrel in the library. It's less than $100 a year, and if I schedule my time there just like a class, it's much more effective for me.
  • mk_not_r2d2
    Options
    I'm a PhD student in Toronto, Canada - trying to lose the 20-30lbs I've gained in weight since starting grad school, ugh. I'm finding that getting into a fitness routine while still getting work done has been easy in the summer while I have nothing else on my plate, but I'm pretty worried about keeping it going once teaching starts again! Tips, anyone?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    In regards to your routine and working from home statement . . . I quickly learned I do not have the self-discipline to effectively work from home and rented a research carrel in the library. It's less than $100 a year, and if I schedule my time there just like a class, it's much more effective for me.

Very good idea! I do have a cubicle and I tend to be very productive when I'm sitting in it. The hard part is getting there... :P
  • _thirtytwo
    _thirtytwo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm starting my second year in a doctoral program in the humanities - looking for friends losing weight in grad school :) Feel free to add me (anyone)!
  • edwardss9
    edwardss9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone . 2nd year PhD student in social science . Add me!!!!!
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I just finished my MA and I'm starting my PhD in Anthropology this week! Feel free to add me.