Surgery Is Killing My Goals

Options
Wjmu7
Wjmu7 Posts: 10 Member
I had surgery a couple of weeks ago, and I'm a bit limited in what I can do, so guess what has become appealing? FOOD. I've got stop this eating especially since I can't exercise much. I have been reading, watching Netflix, even visiting as much as I'm up to it. It is pretty weird to desire to at least get to do housework. Any suggestions. I can walk short distances. Maybe every time I go for food as a distraction, I should walk 5 minutes. aaaarrrrgggg.

Replies

• mggriso
    mggriso Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I put a stone back on after hernia surgery in January. I couldn't leave the house as we had snow and if I had slipped I could have caused more damage. If it were now and warm and sunny, I would do as you suggest and walk a little, try to avoid the tempting things, and drink lots of juice etc. when the temptations strike. Just my thoughts :wink:
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the juice, I would go with water. Do you have a hobby that will keep your hands busy? That will probably help.
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I broke my ankle really badly in January and though I'm slowly getting back to whatever is going to be normal for me now, SLOWLY is the key word. I was on crutches for 14 weeks and though I guess I got a good core workout hauling myself around on them, it wasn't very aerobic :ohwell: I still don't know what I can do that would really help me with burning off calories. I can walk, but it makes my ankle swell up usually. I got in the habit of mostly sitting around watching tv and eating too much and it's GOT TO STOP!!!
  • Wjmu7
    Options
    Thanks for identifying with me mggriso, and tekwriter I've been drinking only water. I don't want to get hooked back on diet soda. I heard that causes your pancreas to secrete insulin and then your body starts producing more fat cells. I quit them permenantly after my son brought me one two days ago and I took 2 drinks and then after everyone went to bed poured it out. The hands suggestion is good. My friend asked me if I was playing my new piano any. I should do that. Ruthlesswr, we got to stop the eating during our TV. Maybe we should get on here and make our hands type instead of eat! Thanks friends.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Distraction, distraction and listening to your doctor about how much activity you can have. I had my gall bladder out and I just over the course of a few month gradually upped my activity. By the 4th month I was at the gym with a trainer.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I tore my rotator cuff last summer. I was in a new state without a dr yet. By the time I got into see a dr, had an mri, her 2 week vacation after the mri, then a followup visit to discuss the mri results, 3 months had passed and it had gotten a lot worse. I had PT for 3 months. From about August to December all I could do was sit at the computer and eat and feel sorry for myself. I gained an additional 10lbs from that and I was already overweight. Take it from me, bad idea. Although I will say if all that hadn't happened, I may not have had the motivation to lose weight and get healthier. I think it was my wake-up call.
  • Wjmu7
    Options
    Ya'll have all been very motivating to me. I just had a routine hysterectomy and I'm feeling sorry for myself. I can do this. I did actually play the piano for 2 hours today and really watched my calories. I ate a lot of fiber so I would feel full. I CAN DO THIS!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    once you get started it helps a lot becuase you quickly begin to feel empowered and it helps. good luck.
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One week later Wanda...
    How are you doing?

=
    Ann