Starting Atkins

Options
davepearson86
davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
Hello, wife and I are starting atkins today. Looking for atkinsers and low carbers who have open food logs for friends on here. Please feel free to add me!!

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but it appears you ate a bagel for breakfast. Does that mean you are starting Atkins tomorrow?
  • MelMelMiller
    Options
    My food diary is open. I'm at my 3rd week. However I need to eat more greens & veggies but I'm definitely good on my protein intake. Also I had an engagement party and a bachelorette party so I went over my carb limits on both those days.

I've found better alternatives now so I'm back on the wagon and starting to lose weight again.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but it appears you ate a bagel for breakfast. Does that mean you are starting Atkins tomorrow?

LOL - check the food notes. The wife gave late notice that TODAY is start day :-)

Let's talk about fat, my friend. Fat is your friend. Fat satiates. Remove anything that says light or low fat and replace with the full fat alternative. Look for those opportunities to add fat - cook eggs in butter; add some sour ream or full fat cheese. And let's not forget the low carb symbol of happiness: bacon!

The next several days, add a cup of full salt chicken broth - just drink it straight. Low carbers shed sodium, and this can cause fatigue and headaches. Ideally, you want to supplement sodium, potassium, and magnesium. And increase that water intake.- look for 12-16 (8) oz glasses rather than the recommended 8 glasses.

But most of all, don't be afraid of fat. Fat will get you into ketosis, Excess protein can convert to glucose, and can block / slow ketosis. My recommendation is to eat at least as many grams of fat as protein at every meal. (You actually did this for most of today's meals - ice job!)

I follow keto, which is low carb, high fat, moderate protein. It has some similarities to Atkins inductin. Good resource here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Good luck! And congrats on starting!
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

LOL - check the food notes. The wife gave late notice that TODAY is start day :-)

Let's talk about fat, my friend. Fat is your friend. Fat satiates. Remove anything that says light or low fat and replace with the full fat alternative. Look for those opportunities to add fat - cook eggs in butter; add some sour ream or full fat cheese. And let's not forget the low carb symbol of happiness: bacon!

The next several days, add a cup of full salt chicken broth - just drink it straight. Low carbers shed sodium, and this can cause fatigue and headaches. Ideally, you want to supplement sodium, potassium, and magnesium. And increase that water intake.- look for 12-16 (8) oz glasses rather than the recommended 8 glasses.

But most of all, don't be afraid of fat. Fat will get you into ketosis, Excess protein can convert to glucose, and can block / slow ketosis. My recommendation is to eat at least as many grams of fat as protein at every meal. (You actually did this for most of today's meals - ice job!)

I follow keto, which is low carb, high fat, moderate protein. It has some similarities to Atkins inductin. Good resource here:

Awesome Info kiramaniac, I've been in keto before following advice from my training partner. We ate 2 pounds of cottage cheese a day with a small fruit with it and unlimited meat and protein powder. I lost weight on it, hoping the "Atkins" style diet can work for me once again. As far as bacon goes I'm a scouter so bacon is it's own food group!

Thanks for adding me, hope you can follow my progress.

Also if I knew it was my last carbs before this I would not have chosen a bagel :(
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    good luck. there are lots of low-carb recipes here. and just google it too. You can actually make all kinds of bread, pancakes, and muffins to replace that bagel in the future! OOPSIE bread is delicious. -- 1 net carb! there are wonderful muffins--make a batch and there is breakfast for a week! These treats saved me and make me feel like I am not on a diet. I gave up gluten and then all grains months ago so these breads are pretty cool.

like the other advice, fat is your friend. however, i only eat bacon every couple months. I try to get my fat from olive/coconut oil, olives, eggs, avocado, little cheese/sour cream/cream and butter, nut flours (the breads), and ground flax. Pretty easy to get enough that way without consuming animal fat. Turkey pepperoni is delicious, easy quick snack--use it to replace chips (or cut up in eggs, or salad). Jimmie Dean turkey sausage crumbles taste exactly like pork. Again, low fat meat so you can eat all your fat from the healthy fat choices.

I've been doing great....though today I hadn't been to store and I got hungry and overate carbs. ugh. I will feel it tomorrow.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    LOL...looks like you did great today. I echo the others, eat plenty of fat. Though animal fat is very good for you, so don't shy away from it, especially if it is from grassfed or pastured animals. Best sources of fat are: butter, ghee, lard, tallow, coconut oil, olive oil, duck fat if you can get it. Cream and other high fat dairy is good if dairy isn't a problem for you, but be aware cream does have some carbs in it even though it isn't listed on the label. Someone on Atkins should probably count 1 g carb per tablespoon cream. I don't eat too much flax because of the phytoestrogens, though that may be more concering for women than men, I also don't eat too much almond flour because of the high omega-6 content and the fact that it tends to sit like a lead balloon in my stomach!
  • kwaugh67
    kwaugh67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Also new to the forum. Just started Atkins 2.5 weeks ago with my husband and daughter. We cleaned out the pantry and fridge and have been doing well ever since. I would love help, advice and encouragement. Not sure how to let people see my diary but definitely would like to hear anyone's input.
    Me -10
    Daughter -20
    Husband -17
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

I am a little over a week in, I was getting 120 to 150 grams of protein a day is that too much then? the last couple days I've been around 80 or 90 and I've noticed the stix say it's alighter brand of ketosis (but I think that's good)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am a little over a week in, I was getting 120 to 150 grams of protein a day is that too much then? the last couple days I've been around 80 or 90 and I've noticed the stix say it's alighter brand of ketosis (but I think that's good)

I think it depends on the program you are following, and your goals. If your goal is ketosis, higher fat, more moderate protein may provide better results. The recommendation I have seen is 0.7 - 1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. For the sake of easy math, let's use the upper range of that scale, 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM. That means you should have 125-150 pounds of lean body mass, for that level of protein that you are consuming. My lean body mass is about 110 pounds (I'm 5'5" and workout with strength training 3-5 times a week); my husband's is about 140 pounds of LBM (5'7", same for exercise). If you have a lot of muscles, that could be ok. If not, it could be excess protein.

What's wrong with too much protein? Well, excess protein can convert to glucose in your body. This can impact ketosis. So your lighter levels on the ketostix could be because you've been drinking more and diluting the ketones; or it could be that you have fewer ketones in your system.

I don't want to suggest that what you're doing is wrong and that you need to change. There are a lot of low carb programs out there. Some push low calorie, low carb, low fat, high protein (*shudder*). Some focus on low carb, high fat, moderate protein - that's the camp I'm in. You want enough protein to maintain lean body mass, but not so much that you'll impact ketosis. but plenty of folks are successful on the different variants of low carb. Monitor your results. If it doesn't seem like you're getting the results you'd like, then make some changes.
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing ketogenic Paleo. Macros are set on here for 50% Fat, 30% protein, and 20% carb. I got tired of seeing all the red, so I ditched the cholesterol nutrient and added fiber, to help,keep track of net carbs.

My diary is open, feel free to look.

I did Atkins really successfully 6 years ago, and lost 70 pounds. I fell into the trap of relying too much on the products, so this go around, I opted for Paleo.

I have one cheat a week. It keeps me sane ;)
  • astartig
    Options

I think it depends on the program you are following, and your goals. If your goal is ketosis, higher fat, more moderate protein may provide better results. The recommendation I have seen is 0.7 - 1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. For the sake of easy math, let's use the upper range of that scale, 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM. That means you should have 125-150 pounds of lean body mass, for that level of protein that you are consuming. My lean body mass is about 110 pounds (I'm 5'5" and workout with strength training 3-5 times a week); my husband's is about 140 pounds of LBM (5'7", same for exercise). If you have a lot of muscles, that could be ok. If not, it could be excess protein.

What's wrong with too much protein? Well, excess protein can convert to glucose in your body. This can impact ketosis. So your lighter levels on the ketostix could be because you've been drinking more and diluting the ketones; or it could be that you have fewer ketones in your system.

I don't want to suggest that what you're doing is wrong and that you need to change. There are a lot of low carb programs out there. Some push low calorie, low carb, low fat, high protein (*shudder*). Some focus on low carb, high fat, moderate protein - that's the camp I'm in. You want enough protein to maintain lean body mass, but not so much that you'll impact ketosis. but plenty of folks are successful on the different variants of low carb. Monitor your results. If it doesn't seem like you're getting the results you'd like, then make some changes.

I'm not doing any particular program. I am just trying to lose weight and keep what muscles I do have already (and no i am not terribly muscular) I've been going for ketosis because it seems like that is the way to lose a lot of fat but not muscle. I'll start up with resistance training soon. Trying to do at least a few days of aerobics a week now. the one thing I don't want to give up is plenty of vegetables because that's just healthy. So I want to push the carb level as high as I can with veggies without going out of ketosis. in my mind I was thinking high protein, moderate fat lowish to moderate carbs (goalishly I've been hoping I could push 60 or 70 grams of carbs without falling out of ketosis but I haven't tried that level yet. I guess I am ok with the 30-45 net carbs I've been averaging.

but I could definitely try for a lower protein to higher fat ratio if that is better for fat loss and keeping low ketones but keeping the ketones moving.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have been following the Atkins way of eating since April. My diary is public.
  • mlreyes_09
    Options
    Good luck! I started low(er) carb (50 or less per day - hopefully around 30-35 net) about a week or so ago and it's been great thus far! It takes time to figure out the meals that work for you and get a rhythm going, but hopefully it's worth it. I have lost a few pounds already and am sleeping like a ROCK!

Feel free to add me as well.
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    can you lose weight doing 20nc and 1200 calories??
  • astartig
    Options
    yes
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb (Atkins) since last July. My diary is open to friends. I'll add you.