Balanced diet

Options
tishtee
tishtee Posts: 13 Member
Hi
No one's written for a few days so I thought I'd start a new thread. Does anyone check the daily recommendations for carbs, proteins, fibre etc under the reports section? I just took a look at mine and was a bit surprised. I tend to be over everyday for some (usually sugar, proteins and fibre and under (sometimes way under) for others (vitamins and minerals generally).

I mostly keep within the recommended calorie target but I'm thinking now that my diet isn't very balanced. I guess I could just take supplements but am beginning to think I need educate myself with food.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• libbyncarter
    Options
    Hi Tishtee,

I have on occasion looked at these, but find it hard to get under the recommended, especially sugar it seems to be in everything.

I have started to cut down but it involves looking at labels and comparing items which at first takes a bit of time but I also think we need to consider, that we may be over a recommended sugar level for example but if 70% of that was good sugar (unrefined) from things like fruit, is that better then where I was before eating 70% bad sugar.

My thinking is that calories are the most important why I am trying to lose weight but because I am cutting down on calories I have noticed I am making healthier choices. I think this is helped by the fact I wont eat a lot of the low fat / calorie products because when you look at the labels it is full of artificial rubbish.

Any one else have any thoughts?
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    When my husband was diagnosed with diabetes we took classes from a dietician. She said not to count sugars, count effective carbs. Grams of carbs - grams of fiber=effective carb. So this is what I keep track of. For weight loss, a woman should have 3 servings of carbs 3 times a day. 1 serving is 15 effective grams. So a total of 135 grams a day, but best spread through the day not all at once.
    I also watch the protein. I don't worry if my protein is too high but I do worry if its too low. You need the protein to gain muscle. I think the fat and the fiber are also good to watch just to see what you are doing and help you make better choices.