Sarah/Steel should I take this opportunity?

Options
graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
Hey team. I know you haven't had a chance to put together a plan with me yet, but I was wondering if you thought this is something I should invest in. It's a week and a half before my vacation so I'm trying to save money...BUT...at one gym I work for, they are having a personal training special. 3 for 99. There is a girl they wanted to match me with who has done professional bodybuilding etc and knows her way around weight room/leaning out/cutting fat etc.

Considering my issues...and my lack of comfort in the weight area. Would recommend dropping the hundred for that advice/support on this end? Thanks for reading!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hey team. I know you haven't had a chance to put together a plan with me yet, but I was wondering if you thought this is something I should invest in. It's a week and a half before my vacation so I'm trying to save money...BUT...at one gym I work for, they are having a personal training special. 3 for 99. There is a girl they wanted to match me with who has done professional bodybuilding etc and knows her way around weight room/leaning out/cutting fat etc.

Considering my issues...and my lack of comfort in the weight area. Would recommend dropping the hundred for that advice/support on this end? Thanks for reading!

I'm going to give you some useless rambling:

I do think there could potentially be value in hiring a trainer to learn how to properly execute barbell compound lifts such as:

Deadlift
    Squat
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press

If you already are confident in your ability to perform the above movements with a freeweight barbell, then I don't think you need to hire a trainer. If you don't know how to do the above properly, I would first ask your trainer if you could be instructed on the above so that your trainer knows what you are hiring her for (this is assuming you hire her for that purpose -- I'm of the opinion that this is a great purpose as would hiring her for other lifting technique related things. I listed the above movements because they tend to be very beneficial and they tend to be a bit more technical than a tricep kickback for example).

Now keep in mind, there's a chance she's an excellent trainer and there's a chance that you could benefit from this, so I don't want to sound like I'm calling all trainers bad.

There is also a chance you could just get your head filled with broscience and end up on a smith machine.

If you have the disposable income then it may not be a bad thing. I sometimes get caught up in thinking I know a lot, and that's a dangerous spot to be in. I hired a trainer after very carefully asking him questions about his position on things, and while I don't agree with him on everything, I gained a great deal from it and he opened my eyes up to some things that I would have missed had I not hired him.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I do know how to do all of those, yeah. We do them all in Bodypump....just higher reps with less weight. Except maybe the deadlift. I "know" how to do it, but I always second guess my form when doing one properly (in Pump we only go to the knee caps since it's group ex and we want to keep everyone safe). It would be more of how many times and how much weight...and how often I add this to my routine.....but those 4 moves I do know. :-)
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I found video taping myself and having these guys watch it extremely helpful on my lifts as well as watching recommended youtube video.

and they did it for free.:flowerforyou:
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Thanks Crank!! I also am very wary of broscience trainers too. :tongue:
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Thanks Crank!! I also am very wary of broscience trainers too. :tongue:

lawd you are stunning.

nice shoulders!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just to add my 2c to SideSteel's comments.

Trainers can be hit and miss. If you get a good one for your goals, then they can be gold. However, there are a lot of trainers that have a very cookie cutter approach and/or do not pay attention to your goals and preferences. A lot of trainers are not good at all with compound lift form. I have seen numerous examples where the are letting their clients use bad form and/or actively coaching bad form. There are some however who are very good - unfortunately, they seem to be the exception and not the rule. Someone who is a bb'er is not necessarily well versed in compound lifts but can be.

With that being said, the price is really good imo. I would recommend questioning them about their familiarity with doing, and coaching, the main compounds and if they are familiar, would take the opportunity personally.

I would also recommend getting familiarized with the basic techniques first, as that way you can determine if they seem to have the basics down at least so you know whether to pay attention to them.

A good place to start with this is here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

However, you can ignore the power clean as it is not something included in the routines we generally recommend.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The deadlifts in Pump are Romanian Deadlifts. IMO although Pump gives you some good basics for lifting bench and squats, there is a lot more to learn to shift to Olypmic bars and lifting heavier.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm going a bit nuts here so I am listening very intently. 154.2 today. I taught 2 killer classes back to back yesterday and I'm up 4 pounds in a week. I had some carbs/sugar/sodium on Saturday...but really? I have three classes today and I'm not even sure how to eat to sustain them. I'm hijacking my own thread....going to stop.

Sarah I agree with trainers. This gym is pretty hardcore about getting the best of the best....but I also don't want to throw 100 bucks away on a lot of talk and not a lot of info. I will check that link. Thank you so much!!!
This discussion has been closed.