New to the group

Options
Hi everyone,

My name is Emily and I am a Type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed in October of 2010, and I am in need of encouragement, education, and some advice. It may have been 3 years since I've had it, but I'm still kind of wet behind the ears. I went through 2 years of denial that I had diabetes, and finally recently I started to accept that this is kind of like cancer...it is always going to be there but I can control it. That is how a friend of mine who is Type 1 put it to me. I just need to control myself, and take care of myself.

Today, I am a little down because I am constantly in a fight with my weight, and I am losing hope in losing some pounds. It's like I do well, and then I get set back. So I guess I am just trying to find the will inside of me to push on. On the bright side my fasting glucose level was on 90. So that is good.

Anyways, I'm not trying to make a sob story, but just saying hi. Thanks.

Em

Replies

• NineteenSixty5
    NineteenSixty5 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    yes indeed the denial club is easy to join, i am not sure if i am an offical memebr of the team 2 diabetes club still awaiting a official diagnosis but been told to proceed on that assumption. a lot to learn take in and a lot to change.

MFP good tool to use once you can crack double digits on the ticker tape
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Em, It's nice to meet you!, Congrats on your fasting 90 and your decision to take control of your health.

My name is Bob, I'm a T2 diagnosed 30 years ago now complication free.

The My Fitness Pal program is a wonderful tool, it’s not only helped me adopt healthier nutrition habits, but it’s also helped me dramatically improve my blood sugar control and diabetes management by learning how to count carbs along with HONESTLY logging EVERYTHING I eat and sticking to it.

As you may know, one of the first and paramount defenses in lowering blood sugars is using your glucose meter to monitor the effects of the food choices you make on your blood sugars. By testing before meals and again 2 hours after meals, you will quickly learn what effect if any, those choices had on your blood sugars. The general consensus is to shoot for a test result in the range of 120 to 140 2 hours after meal-times however, you should seek out target ranges to aim for as recommended by your healthcare provider.

Diabetes is such an very individualistic condition and what works for me in controlling my blood sugars may or may not work for you or the next person which makes our condition so frustrating sometimes. Your glucose meter is going to be your best friend. I've adopted the habit of eating to my meter for good blood sugar control. We're all different in how we choose to control our condition but, you might aim for 40-45 grams of carbs per meal, limiting yourself to one to two snacks a day at 15 grams of carbs each to find out how this works out for you.

www.calorieking.com ( A great site for calorie and carb counting)

www.bloodsugar101.com

www.diabetesdaily.com

www.diabetes.co.uk

www.diabetesselfmanagement.com

The above ^^^ links are packed with invaluable information designed to answer your questions about successful diabetes management practices.

There are many very caring, supportive and knowledgeable people in this group eager to share their experiences and encouragement in seeing you succeed to be sure. I welcome the opportunity to offer you any help possible in making that happen.

Welcome!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily and welcome to this group. Bob (bdubya55) has covered things pretty comprehensively. Information is power and Bob has given you a great list of reference material. The only thing I would add to Bob's post is to point out that the MFP programme, if properly applied, really does work. The many testimonies to that fact on this group proves that. Bob emphasised the importance of honest logging and this is crucial. You must realise that MFP is NOT a quick fix solution. The programme is about re-educating ourselves to a more healthy way of eating and exercising. Only you can bring the necessary qualities of Honest Logging, Patience, Determination, Persistence. Only you can decide if you are worth it. There is a huge network of support in this group. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life and will certainly do anything I can to help and encourage you.
  • kathyvalliere
    Options
    Hi Em,
    I am new to this group as well. I think I am still in denial because other than the doctor telling me I have diabetes, I feel fine. I think if I felt sick I would better accept the diabetes. My father was a diabetic and lost his eyesight as well as a foot from the disease. I remember when he was diagnosed, he did not do what the doctor told him to do and before you know it, he was on insulin. He eventually died from complications of the disease 2 years ago. So although I don't "feel sick" I saw what my father went through so I figured I'd better get down to business and try to control my blood sugar. I've joined this group in hopes of having some support. It's unfortunate that I don't get any from my family.
    Kathy
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Welcome Emily and Kathy,

Kathy my dad had issues too and has passed away. I don't remember any of the complications he had because I wasn't living at home at the time but I don't think they were too major.

I also have a hard time taking it as seriously as I should too because I don't feel sick either. I know I am really trying to prevent rather than repair but yeah, it sucks. My family is supportive but I live alone and I'm kind of private (yeah... my mom would probably broadcast my #s to everyone in our large extended family) so I don't really talk about it with anyone but my sister. It still helps to be able to get support from people who have already gone through or going through the same kind of things.
  • begleybob
    begleybob Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am relatively new to this group, too, although I have used MFP in the past. I was in denial for years and had a myriad of excuses why I could not address my T2. The reason I started back in earnest this time was that my family doctor was in my face about it. Then my husband said that he's been worrying that I'm killing myself. So for me, I just had to make a decision to take control.

However...I've made these decisions before. I've lost weight before...but there comes a point where I just get tired of the planning & tracking. I start to go off a little and don't see an immediate negative effect, so I keep going off the track with food and then just quit weighing myself. And all the weight comes back. SOOO..this time my strategy must be different or else I'll end up in the same place...again.

This time, I am changing my "reward system"...I am rewarding myself for sticking with the eating/exercise plan rather than for achieving weight loss or BG results (although those are important and I will continue to track & make adjustments) For every 6 weeks that I stick with the plan, I am going to give myself a non-food related reward. It's too early to tell if this strategy will work, but I hope it does. I will finish my first 6 weeks on Aug 11 and am rewarding myself with a massage at a local spa. For the 2nd 6 weeks, the planned reward is a nice pair of running shoes so that I can start the Couch-to-5K program.

At some point this just needs to become a way of life, but I'm not there yet and just need to do what it takes to get there.