Coconut Oil

aotto87
aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
I have been doing a little internet research on coconut oil. Anyone here use it (to cook with, supplement, or beauty tricks)? Any tips or advice? Where do you buy yours from and do you buy refined/unrefined? If you use it as a supplement, do you notice a difference in your energy level, and how much are you consuming daily? Sorry for all the questions..... All comments appreciated!!!!!

Replies

• misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Always use unrefined coconut oil! I get mine from the health food area at my local grocer.

I don't cook with it. The flavor is too strong for my husband, so I stick with olive oil in the kitchen. I use unrefined coconut oil on my daughter's curls and on my face and hair. I use only a little bit on our hair. I've been using it on my face for months now, and I feel like it helps keep me clear (seems ironic, I know) and "glowy." I use it under my all natural face lotion. I also use it on the rare occassion I get a sunburn. It's easy to use a lot - a little goes a long way.
  • alleekat
    alleekat Posts: 40 Member
    Definitely use only unrefined coconut oil.

I use it for everything. Really. I cook and bake with it - coconut oil can withstand heat better than EVOO; I use it for raw, sugar free chocolate; coconut oil coffee (it might sound weird, but it's really good); I use it as a moisturizer and in my hair; I make body scrubs and deodorant with it...
    I sometimes notice a bit more energy when I consume it, but I consume it so regularly; now I think it's kinda hard to tell.
  • fitwithwhit88
    fitwithwhit88 Posts: 59 Member
    Speaking of coconut oil...I came up with an ingenious use for it this weekend. I had salted chocolate bark a few weeks back and it was super good. Flash forward to last week and I realize that chocolate fudge shell you pour over ice cream is basically cocoa butter w/cocoa and sugar in it. Okay, so I figure, coconut oil will surely do pretty much the same thing as the cocoa butter, right? And boy, was I right. This is what I did with it::

3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
    2-3 tbsp. (to taste) unsweetened cocoa powdered
    1.5 tbsp (or to taste) Truvia baking blend
    Slight (very slight) dash of sea salt - you could even leave this out if you use kosher salt per the instructions below
    Small splash of vanilla

Mix together. Place a piece of wax paper on a small dinner plate and pour chocolate mixture on top. Sprinkle with small amount of kosher salt if desired. Place plate in freezer for 20 minutes or so, until hard. Take out of freezer, break into small pieces, and enjoy!

I'm currently roasting some almonds and making the above to pour on top once roasted. This is a seriously delicious treat. Make sure to only eat it in moderation, because even though it is lower carb due to the Truvia blend vs. sugar, it still has a boatload of fat since the foundation IS oil after all.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    It apparently has many health benefits. I only use Olive Oil and Coconut Oil any more.

The one I like the most is by Tropical Traditions: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

They have lots of interesting info about it on their website, and are always having nice sales (if you sign up for e-mail notifications)
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I buy the organic virgin coconut oil (unrefined) from Trader Joe's. It's reasonably priced from the research I've done.

I generally don't cook with it, as the coconut taste is too strong for me and I don't particularly like it. But I do add a TBS to my protein shakes and I use it on my skin and on my hair! It's a fabulous deep conditioner for both!!