When should I increase in weight?

Options
Phoenix_Warrior
Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
How many reps do you guys usually do, in regards to bench press and leg lifts? I've gone from 45lbs bench pressing to 55lbs in about a month and 22lbs to 33lbs on the leg lifts. I can do less in succession, obviously, with the heavier weights but at what point do you think would be good to increase? I usually do anywhere from 5-10 reps of 10 throughout a day and then rest the next. I wish I could do it in succession but I have a 2 yo and a 2 month old to attend to, so my time is limited to morning, naps and evening :P. You ladies are awesome! I was always afraid to weight lift back in High School on the bum theory that I would look like a crazy muscle woman :) Now my goal is to be able to bench 100 lbs lol. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How many reps do you guys usually do, in regards to bench press and leg lifts? I've gone from 45lbs bench pressing to 55lbs in about a month and 22lbs to 33lbs on the leg lifts. I can do less in succession, obviously, with the heavier weights but at what point do you think would be good to increase? I usually do anywhere from 5-10 reps of 10 throughout a day and then rest the next. I wish I could do it in succession but I have a 2 yo and a 2 month old to attend to, so my time is limited to morning, naps and evening :P. You ladies are awesome! I was always afraid to weight lift back in High School on the bum theory that I would look like a crazy muscle woman :) Now my goal is to be able to bench 100 lbs lol. Thank you in advance!

Hi there.

I have days that I do lighter weights and lots of reps (15-20) and there are days when its heavy weights and I can only crank out like 6-8 reps.

Bench Press - light days 60lbs - 15-20 reps; heavy days 75lbs (5 reps)
    Bicep curl - light days 30 barbell (15-20 reps) and heavy 40 or 45 lbs barbell - 6-8 reps
    definitely increase your weight when you find you can do each rep rather fast and without strain.
    Weight lifting is really what makes your body react and start shedding the real fat.

remember - do what you can do, its better than doing nothing. :)
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You want the weight you are lifting to feel challenging. If you can do more then 8-10 reps without fatigue then they are probably too light. For lower body I try to increase the weight I am lifting by 5 pounds every week, and for upper body every 2 weeks.

For instance, this week I am squatting 80 pounds and bench pressing 60.

Next week I will try to squat 85 and stick with 60 for the bench press.

The following week I will squat 90 and bench press 65. (My upper body is so super weak.) :P

This works for me, but it might not work for you. Just do what feels challenging!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for advice! I've only been doing this for a month and a half, so I essentially have no clue what I'm doing. I look forward to eventually see the some definition. I will continue to push with all I've got. Husband has agreed to spot me :)