Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Starting Strong Lift Tomorrow

Hello,

Someone recommended the dead lift program to me and I'm planning on starting it tomorrow. I'm reading through the information sent to me via e-mail and I'm rather confused.

I understand that there are two workouts: Workout A and Workout B, and that they alternate every time I go the gym. I'm to do a few sets of warm up reps gradually adding weight until I get to my work weight. Then once at my work weight I do 5 sets of 5 reps at the work weight for each exercise, except for dead lifts which are only 1 set of 5 reps.

That much I understand. Where I'm getting confused is exactly what weight to start at especially when it comes to the warm up sets. I just really don't know what weight to start at with the exercises or how to determine my warm up weight.

The spreadsheet doesn't really help matters. After entering my information it states I should start at 20LBs on the squats. Does that 20LBS include the weight of the 45LB Olympic bar? I'm just really confused. Could someone help me make sense of this program?

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    I am only on Week 5 and a lifting newbie so someone correct me if I am wrong but you should start with just the bar. 45 lbs.

I thought this was funny until my bar actually arrived and I needed help carrying it down to the basement! Now the bar feels like balsa wood :wink:

Work on your form while it is light and don't be in a rush, it gets harder quickly. Watch the videos. Get your form as good as you can get it while it's still light.
  • Awesome! Thanks for the advice. The guy sent me some spreadsheets and it said I needed to start at twenty pounds. :ohwell: Do you mind if I add as a friend, I might have some more questions as I go along.
  • kirk_clawson
    kirk_clawson Posts: 36 Member
    On the spreadsheet, don't fill out section 3 on the starting page - that's only for guys who know how to lift and who want to start somewhere closer to what they've been doing in the past. If you leave section 3 empty, the squat should start at 45 lb (which is just the bar).

Edit to add: I mistook your OP - you're talking about the warm-ups. Sorry bout that, I don't have the warm up spreadsheet. In my case I did body weight warmups for the first few weeks, until I got over 65 lbs on the squat, then I warmed up with the bar for a while, etc...
  • 257_Lag
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice. The guy sent me some spreadsheets and it said I needed to start at twenty pounds. :ohwell: Do you mind if I add as a friend, I might have some more questions as I go along.

Feel free to add me but I am hardly a wealth of knowledge when it comes to lifting.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    I just picked up an olympic weight set, bench, and homemade rack from craigslist. I'll be cleaning up the garage and starting on Friday or next Monday.
    I have the Lifting Buddy ap on my phone but there are no warm up sets indicated. Could someone please send my a link/spreadsheet that indicates what the warmup sets and weight are?
    Also, is there a strength test and formula to decide what weight to start with? I've been lifting, albeit irregularly, for the last year and think I can start with more than just the bar.
    Thanks for any help and guidance someone may be able to offer.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    I have the Lifting Buddy ap on my phone but there are no warm up sets indicated. Could someone please send my a link/spreadsheet that indicates what the warmup sets and weight are?
    Warmup sets and weights are your preference. Use a lighter weight than your working weight. Squats, for example, I do 5 warmup sets total: 3 sets with 5 reps, 1 set with 4 reps, 1 set with 3, then my working weight. I increase the weight that I use until I get up to my working weight. Do what's comfortable for you.
    Also, is there a strength test and formula to decide what weight to start with? I've been lifting, albeit irregularly, for the last year and think I can start with more than just the bar.

I'd start with the weight that Medhi recommends. You'll be adding weight quickly and it doesn't take long for the lifts to get heavy.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Thanks c_c.
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    I do 2 warm up sets with the bar. Another 1 with added weight. Then my working weight. Dunno if its legit, but, thats how im doing it so far. Seems fine to me. I like lifting but I also dont want to do it all night.
  • 257_Lag
    I do 2 warm up sets with the bar. Another 1 with added weight. Then my working weight. Dunno if its legit, but, thats how im doing it so far. Seems fine to me. I like lifting but I also dont want to do it all night.

This is exactly what I do be it right or wrong. I find with this program and being a newbie that I need every bit of strength for the actual workout and can't expend much in a warm up. Prior to touching the bar I stretch (mostly hamstrings and calves) and then do 5 minutes fast walking on the treadmill to get the blood flowing.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Warmup sets and weights are your preference.
    Do what's comfortable for you.

Just highlighting the important parts. The beauty of the program is the simplicity and adapability of it. What works best for me won't necessarily work for you. As long as you're progressing with good form, you're doing it right. :smile: