Supplementation & Cramping

Options
abbyolurin1
abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
Im in Phase 1 of Atkins and when I took my One a Day Women's I vomited almost immediately. I thought this may have been due to the iron in it. I read somewhere that we shouldn't take iron on Atkins. What do you guys supplement with so that you can get your recommended vitamins and minerals?

Also, what do you do to limit the cramping in the legs and stomach? Is that the diet or is it from exercise? Or is it just me? LOL.

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Phase 1, Induction can be extremely rough on lots of people. My first three days were torture, and the next three after weren't all that great, either. So as awful as it is, it sounds like you're having a somewhat normal experience. I'm sorry to hear that.

Iron? The "Atkins Essentials" book specifically states to take vitamins WITHOUT iron. You'll get plenty through the protein intake while on Atkins. Unless your doctor has run tests and said that you need iron, I'd actually stick with the book. Iron actually scares me a bit...

I take a generic Walgreen's combination multivitamin/multimineral with zero iron. It is a lifesaver. On those days where I forget, I cramp up horribly in my shins (weird) and arms and have zero energy. I used to take the "Gummivites" gummy vitamins, but I switched because those had sugar and when I only got 20 grams of carbs per day (ie. Induction) losing three net carbs to my vitamins was infuriating.

To limit cramping, I make sure that I've got my multivitamin/multimineral pill (one a day) and LOTS of water. I generally drink about a gallon of water (I don't count pop, coffee, etc as water) and do some form of cardio every day. I really do believe that the water intake is the key.

Lately, I've also been supplementing a potassium pill ($5.00 / bottle from Walgreens) because I've been dreaming about eating bananas, and I think that may help, too. Still, lots of water is what is saving me from the cramps.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have been following the Atkins way of eating since April. I take a One a Day Women's multivitamin and low dosage iron tabliets everyday (since I am anemic). I have never had any problems.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but here's the book excerpt:

ihXzgb7.png
  • milosmom1979
    milosmom1979 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No Iron?? I wish I would have researched that a bit better... Jeez, I take 2 One a day's EVERY day!!!! Oops... I dont know wether or not to keep taking them... But I feel great, so why not?
  • abbyolurin1
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to try the walgreens brand instead of my walmart one. I felt so good today then realized that I messed up big time and probably kicked myself out of ketosis by eating this for lunch:

Gordon's - Beer Battered Fish Filets, 5 FILETS Calories: 575 Carbs: 50 Fat: 35 Protein: 18 Sodium: 1,375 Sugar: 5

Are we even allowed sugar within the 20 net cabs?
  • Pramps
    Pramps Posts: 23
    Options
    Leg cramping is due to low potassium levels. Those cramps are no joke! Use Morton's Lite Salt. It has 358mg of potassium per serving. And this may sound CRAZY, but try sipping pickle juice. I had never heard of this until three days ago when I had WICKED cramping and six of my friends suggested it. I tried it. I kid you not, my cramps were GONE in less than five minutes!
    Good luck!

http://blog.modernpaleo.com/2010/08/leg-cramps-electrolytes-and-pickle.html
  • Pramps
    Pramps Posts: 23
    Options
    Sorry... absolutely NO sugar.
  • abbyolurin1
    Options
    Thank you. Is this okay to eat?

Joseph's Bakery - Low Carb, Flax & Whole Wheat Pita (Net Carb 4), 1 pita
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

60 4 2 6 250 0
  • jphon
    jphon Posts: 8
    Options
    As the others have stated, the cramping comes from potassium levels dropping out. Its not a good sign. Listen to your body and get some potassium in you :) The body runs on a positive electric charge (That is what keeps the heart beating in time) and potassium, among a few other electrolytes are essential to keep yourself well.

I take an electrolyte drink 2 times a day as my Atkins does not involve much potassium at all (I am on the 1200 calorie a day version). A good electrolyte drink will contain Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sulphate, Calcium Di Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide. These are the 4 things you really can not afford to become deficient in.

You should be able to pick them up at any drug store. They keep you well hydrated too. Bear in mind some do contain dextrose. 2 grams dextrose will equal 2 carbs and 10 calories.

Mine do not contain dextrose so are zero carb. One glass mixed with 800ml water contains

Per 800mg serving:
    Chloride: 320mg
    Sodium: 210mg
    Potassium: 60mg
    Calcium: 30mg
    Magnesium: 6mg

Do not be tempted to take in more than your body requires though (1600mg is enough for the average person, and most foods contain it also, so adjust as needed)

The reason i prefer the electrolyte drinks is 1: They dont contain filling agents that can have hidden carbs (unless dextrose version) and 2: i am useless at swallowing pills. lol. They always get stuck in my throat.

Seriously though, the cramps are not a great sign. I am not trying to scare you or anything it's just i have been there and it can be very scary, especially when your heart starts pounding even when your sat down.

Good luck with you Atkins, i hope this helps in some way :)
  • abbyolurin1
    Options
    Noted, will do. Thanks!
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I take a daily womens multivitamin in the morning and in the evening I take 400 mg of magnesium at bedtime to prevent leg cramps. If I forget the magnesium, I wake up in the middle of the night with a leg cramp. I buy a huge bottle from Costco.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    plenty of potassium in meat
    Salmon

3 ounces of baked or broiled salmon contain 319 mg of potassium. Salmon is a heart healthy fish with a decent amount of potassium.

Cooked Lean Beef

3 ounces has 224 mg of potassium. Lean beef is the best red meat choice, and in addition to the potassium benefits, is a great source of protein.

after 3 days of atkins induction you should start to feel great as you switch over to Ketones for fuel instead of glucose
  • timwhoa
    Options
    check this chart, BOAT LOADS of potassium in these Atkins allowed foods
    http://www.nwkidney.org/nutrition/potassiumsodiummeat.htm
  • timwhoa
    Options
    sorry for the multiple replies,, I read a long time ago in the peoples pharmacy that if you have leg cramps to eat a small amount of mustard, ( yes simple green mustard), anytime i get a leg cramp, especailly at night, swirl a little mustard around in your mouth and swallow it, the cramps are usually gone by the time you count slowly to 10,, dont ask me how it works, but it does !
  • abbyolurin1
    Options
    Thanks guys!