Exercise Idea

Options
hep26000
hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
Anybody have any tips or helpful hints on the best calorie burning exercise. So many of us are busy and only have so much time for exercise.

I myself have a full time desk job and 2 kids so I probably only have an hour or so during the evenings to burn those calories. Weekends are a different story. I'm not worried about them. But I am nervous about 5 days out of the week.

I work 30 minutes away from my home and start work at 7am (after dropping off the youngest to daycare at 6:30) so a morning workout isn't very do able for me. I really don't want to wake up at 4 to exercise and shower. Between 4:30pm-6ish is my workout time.

Thanks for any advice. I am very excited about this challenge.

Replies

• OliveDouglas
    Options
    Hi there!! I would say the elliptical is one the highest burning ones. It definitely depends on your weight though. For instance, I'm 269lbs and I do the elliptical for 35 mins or more some days at a resistance of 12 and burn 460 calories. That's what I burned this morning. Hope this helps!
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    For those limited on time, HIIT is the way to go. You only need about 15 to 20 minutes of high intensity intervals to ramp up that heart rate and burn the calories. I typically do mine on the elliptical or treadmill but they can be done on almost any cardio machine - or just running outside! You can burn upwards of 300 or 400 calories in 20 minutes - a LOT more efficient than straight cardio, in my opinion.
  • Pizazz16
    Pizazz16 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a really great way to burn loads of calories. According to MFP, when I swim leisurely I can burn up to 482 calories in an hour. Plus swimming is low-impact and FUN! The only problem for me is making time to head over to the pool since we don't have one of our own.
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you have an hour to burn, you can EASILY burn 500 calories in that hour! That's only 8 calories a minute. Though if you're looking for the most bang for your buck, then I'd recommend taking up running. It, by far, generates the most burn in the least amount of time.
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a combination of running and strength training. On my non-run days, I am going to do some HIIT which burns a lot of calories! I know how it is to be limited on time. I try to get my workouts done in the morning before work/school so that I can use the excuse of being too tired to do it after work/school. I think once school starts August 19, I am going to add evening walks with my two girls.
  • Lemetriab
    Lemetriab Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For those limited on time, HIIT is the way to go. You only need about 15 to 20 minutes of high intensity intervals to ramp up that heart rate and burn the calories. I typically do mine on the elliptical or treadmill but they can be done on almost any cardio machine - or just running outside! You can burn upwards of 300 or 400 calories in 20 minutes - a LOT more efficient than straight cardio, in my opinion.

There is also an app that you can download called Nike Training Club that has a variety 30 to 45 min workouts that are HIIT workouts and you can do these anywhere that you have your smartphone.
  • MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What about trying to work in short work out sessions into your day? Maybe go for a walk or walk stairs on your lunch or on break? I know that stair climbing burns a ton of calories.

If you belong to a gym that has them, spin classes are great for burning a lot of calories (you can burn 800-1000 in a single class!).
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    If you have an hour to burn, you can EASILY burn 500 calories in that hour! That's only 8 calories a minute. Though if you're looking for the most bang for your buck, then I'd recommend taking up running. It, by far, generates the most burn in the least amount of time.

This.... I love running, it's very addictive. Go for a walk @ lunch & work out after work. This way if something comes up, which sometimes does after work, then you have @ least already burned some during lunch & won't fall behind on your goals.
  • hep26000
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. :smile:
  • GGinNC
    GGinNC Posts: 7
    Options
    I've found that 15 to 30 minutes with a kettlebell can burn a ton of calories and also strengthen muscles, especially the core. Research has shown that it burns about 20 calories per minute, on average.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    This past Monday I burned 1274 calories per my Polar Ft4. That consisted of and 83 minute walk in the am, Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones in the afternoon, and an hour walk in the evening. Yesterday I walked once for an hour giving me a 369 calorie burn. So far today I have walked 80 minutes burning 506 calories. My total so far this week is 2149 calories burned with 4 days left in my week. I weigh more than most of the challenge group members so a higher calorie burn is expected. 3500 a week is very do-able if my knees will cooperate. Glad to have people to challenge me to work harder.
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My Nike Training Club group instructor is starting a tabata challenge that I will be doing during August. It is 4 mins of HIIT that starts on August 1. You can get started in the challenge by joining on Facebook. She is supposed to post the workouts on Youtube. I posted both links below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/JRockTabataChallenge/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRockFitness/feed
  • hep26000
    Options
    My Nike Training Club group instructor is starting a tabata challenge that I will be doing during August. It is 4 mins of HIIT that starts on August 1. You can get started in the challenge by joining on Facebook. She is supposed to post the workouts on Youtube. I posted both links below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/JRockTabataChallenge/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRockFitness/feed

Thank you- I'll have to check that out.