Question about knees

Options
tc41586
tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
Yesterday was a beautiful day in NE Ohio, so I decided to hit the trail rather than the treadmill at the gym. I jogged a 5k very, very slowly (48:26) which was still a huge NSV for me. I have NEVER been a runner, but am finding that I enjoy it now that I am a non-smoker. Today my knees are a little creaky and hurt a bit when I bend them. Normal? Ok to run tomorrow?

Replies

• Tomsylvania
    Tomsylvania Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Be careful about pushing it too much. I did something like that and ended up with runners knee. Make sure you stretch when you're done and ice your knees. I found an Epsom Salt cream that works quite well.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    The right shoes help, too. I think of them as an investment. I've got R. Arthritis in my knees and patellofemoral syndrome in my right knee. When you go to a good store (not a lot of the chain stores you find in the mall. They usually just have teenagers or unqualified people working in them), they'll size your feet up, not just what size of shoe, but what kind of arch you have as well. They will then fit you with multiple different styles and have you walk, and even jog around in them to help determine which one is best for _you_. A good pair of shoes coupled with good form and stretching will do wonders for your knees.
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just bought a new pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 16's so my shoes are all set.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have never used a treadmill, but have always heard running on one is a lot easier than running in real life (excuse the terminology). So you ran in real life, which is harder, but you also ran a trail which has uneven surfaces which worked a whole lot more muscles and tendons than get worked on a treadmill. I would assume you would be sore. Not just knees, but in many places! Great job on the run. I would rest today, and see how you feel tomorrow. No need to push yourself too fast!
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you been icing your knees? I had some problems with my knees but regular icing really helped.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest factors in knee pain is overstriding and heel striking. The way to overcome this is increasing your cadence. Here's a great article on the topic: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/pick-beat