Pad Thai craving

Options
superjean1
superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
I played around with an adapted version of Pad Thai last night and turned out pretty good - similar enough flavors that it satisfied the craving. Thought I’d share.

My starting point was this website for the Pad Thai.
http://chezpim.com/cook/pad_thai_for_beginners

I used Red Boat fish sauce as recommended on NomNom Paleo. I need to take a trip to the Asian food market for more authentic ingredients (Thai chili powder and palm sugar). For the first try, I substituted a mixture of paprika and regular chili powder instead of Thai chili powder and used maple syrup (about half of what it called for) instead of palm sugar. I didn’t have the thai chili’s that make the spice so we used a red pepper flakes to our liking.

In addition to paleo, I don’t eat eggs or shrimp due to intolerance issues (sad because I love both), so I just made it with chicken and added some carrots (cut into matchsticks) and lots of bean sprouts. If you do eat eggs and shrimp, I can only imagine that it would be better and more authentic. My rice noodle substitute was kelp noodles that I’ve been experimenting with after reading about them online and finding them at Whole Foods. They are “interesting” if you try them right out of the package, but sort of fade to the background if you have great flavors. I also thought it might be fun to try shredded cabbage instead?

Replies

• lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is great too. I love Well Fed's pad thai!!
  • superjean1
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is great too. I love Well Fed's pad thai!!

I have purchased all the ingredients for sunshine sauce and that was going to be my next version!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a julienne peeler so I can experiment with zoodles (zucchini noodles). They look pretty good on the blogs where I've seen them mentioned.
  • superjean1
    Options
    look for a spiral slicer they are awesome
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options

I saw one of those in a blog post, too! Looked really great, but I imagine it's pricier than a julienne peeler. Still, something I could put on a list for a future purchase, or maybe a Christmas present.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I saw one of those in a blog post, too! Looked really great, but I imagine it's pricier than a julienne peeler. Still, something I could put on a list for a future purchase, or maybe a Christmas present.

I got my julienne peeler through Pampered Chef, but you can pick one up for less $ on Amazon. I like it okay, but kind of wish I'd just gotten the spiral slicer instead. It's on my list.