Hit a plateau and can't shift anymore weight

Options
Hi all, I started my journey 29th March, joined gym and got me
a fitbit zip, I started at 83kgs and have since s
dropped almost 14kgs but for the life of me I keep fluctuating between 68.9 - 70kgs for the last month, it's frustrating the heck out of me.
Any help or advice hugely appreciated and I've opened up my diary for all to see so you can have an idea of what I'm doing/eating daily

TIA
:-)

Replies

• spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Hi,

I had a quick look at your diary. I'm not an expert, and I only know what works for me. But this is what I have noticed
    You seem to have loads of spare calories left at the end of each day. Lots of people would probably say you're not eating enough. There is this cool calculator that I tried that gives you a pretty decent estimate of TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Have a fiddle around with this: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

After you've had a good amount of weight loss it is possible that you need to recalculate and reasses your calorie intake and stuff.

And sometimes, despite how frustrating it may seem, you have a plateau for a month or two, and then one day, it will start shifting again.

Something else that you might be interested in reading up on is intermittant fasting.

You've done really well anyway, just keep at it, try mixing it up a bit.
  • Donna_Lee_Wilson
    Donna_Lee_Wilson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your reply. I'm off to the gym soon, but as soon as I get home and showered I'm going to look into your advice and links :-)

It sure is frustrating and I know in my diary I have a lot of sugar (my weakness) but thought if I upped my game in the exercise department that I'd make up for it but like you have said, as many of my friends, I could be not eating enough!

So hard to get the right balance aye

Thanks again :-) huge appreciated
  • jessipatra
    jessipatra Posts: 14
    Options
    I'd say the same - try upping your calorie intake a bit, but with not with sugary stuff! Have you tried taking (extra virgin organic) coconut oil? It's great for speeding up the metabolism and helps many people lose weight - sounds backwards, I know - eat fat to lose fat - but there's a lot of info out there about it.
    That said, you are doing so well, and this happens to everyone - I had over a month with no change at all. It also helps to take photos/measurements, as the scale often doesn't tell us the whole picture - see these by way of example: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580019-the-scale-is-a-lying-torture-device-i-m-proof
    http://fitbuttcurvy.com/2012/08/same-weight-different-look/same-weight-different-body/
    Go you!
  • Donna_Lee_Wilson
    Options
    Thank you :-)

Wow proof right there that scales aren't the thing to rely on re weightloss and health!
    It's just so hard when you have a goal set and you are a few kgs off it but fighting to get closer

My weighin day is Friday so come Friday and no change I'm going to up my calories for a week and cool down my calorie burn a tad to see if that helps!

All advice is hugely appreciated as I the supportive comments so thank you :-)
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Wahoo, you lost some!!
  • Donna_Lee_Wilson
    Options
    Wahoo, you lost some!!

Indeed i did :)
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I started my journey 29th March, joined gym and got me
    a fitbit zip, I started at 83kgs and have since s
    dropped almost 14kgs but for the life of me I keep fluctuating between 68.9 - 70kgs for the last month, it's frustrating the heck out of me.
    Any help or advice hugely appreciated and I've opened up my diary for all to see so you can have an idea of what I'm doing/eating daily

Well done on dropping that 14kg!

I have been vacillating around the same exact weights for a month or two - so I feel your frustration!

I just keep reminding myself those last few kgs are the most difficult.