Do some foods send your BS into orbit?

Options
celestep2k1
celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
My nutritionist is still working on getting my meds dialed-in and put me on 2-850 and 1-500 metformin daily...this was just a few days ago. I got the prescription filled and started the new dosage yesterday. I woke up this morning to my BS at an astronomical level of 294. If I don't wake up at 4:am and eat something, my BS is usually very high (180's) in the morning, but nothing like this morning.

The only other things that were different about yesterday is that I ate fresh pineapple and made a chickpea cookie recipe and scarfed down 5 of them. I have eaten 60-grams of carbs in a meal since dx, but it didn't send my BG into orbit.

Could it just be the pineapple and or the chick peas in the cookies? Do you have certain trigger foods?

Replies

• Liongoddess
    Liongoddess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have foods that seem to skyrocket my BS. When I first started truly paying attention and checking my BS consistently I was very surprised at how intolerant my body was of carbs, even the healthy ones like oatmeal or quinoa. Now, after losing some of the weight I seem to tolerate up to 100 grams of carb per day, as long as it is distributed throughout the day. All of out bodies are very different and respond to food differently. I have found that "eating to my meter" or really paying attention to how my body responds to certain foods has been very helpful.

Good luck! The fact that you are paying attention and trying to figure out the puzzle shows progress in the right direction.
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    Thanks for your warm and kind comment, Goddess. It is my pleasure to meet you. Thank you for taking the time to try and help me understand what's happening.

I had an English muffin with my breakfast after I wrote this post, and was back to what is low for me 2-hours later. For me, it's either the fasting, or the fruit. Surprisingly, the grain carbs don't appear to have the same affect as fruit carbs on me. I had a high reading the other day after eating a half cantaloupe on 2-different days, so I'm not surprised...just surprised at the astronomical level!

My nutritionist is a Type 1 (dx'ed at 28 and now 60) and has a major fruit problem. She can consume grains okay, but if she eats fruit, she has to work out for x amount of time to bring her BS back down from orbit. I think I'm learning I might be like her.

Via previous tracking, I appear to do okay with berries , but I'm starting a list of 'only if you really, really want it' foods.

I went from 294 to 103 today. That's a swing.

I have more of that pineapple left. Should I eat as much as I did last night after I normalize to confirm my hypothesis that my body is clueless on what to do about fruit?
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I have a super high test- I check again as sometimes it is b/c I had some sugar on my finger that is giving me a false read-- try washing your hands and retesting.

My biggest issue is in the a.m. but have been getting lower than 120 later. Good luck with figuring out the answers.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yes - quinoa is a bad food for me. Good for most people I guess... but not for me :(. Other foods I thought I might go high and I didn't. I haven't looked into it very much but I think some of it has to do with the glycemic index and some is just personal differences.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much cursed with all grain products - at least a 80 point jump for me, and it stays high for a minimum of 2.5 hours. I was lucky at first with one exception, but even that one has given way, and causes me problems now. (Morning cereal ::sits down and bawls::)

But my true nemesis is actual dairy milk. Don't ask me why cheese, Greek yogurt, or sour cream work, but real milk sends me up into the 180's heading for 200. Even if it's only used as an ingredient.

The other thing I choke on having to restrict it is the citrus fruit. It used to be a wonderful think to keep canned pineapple chunks around for me to snack on. Now, it takes me a week to work through one can, IF I can get through it before it goes bad first.

The only other thing that usually causes me problems is sheer stupidity - eating some source of pure, real sugar before I take a reading. (I've only done it once, and so far have managed to refrain from doing it again.)
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes there are foods that will spike your sugars. Some things that one person can eat, others can't. My downfall is cereals. Almost all will spike my sugar through the roof. Berries do really good on my sugars, but other fruits can/will spike it. I have learned that most fruits I eat, I eat as a snack by itself and I make sure the Net carbs (carb minus the fiber) is under 20g.

Other foods that spike my sugar bad are, pasta's, potato's, rice, most breads, any kind of sweets that have the cakey/cookie textures.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes. Definitely yes. If I want to see my blood sugars go through the roof all I have to do is have a bowl of pho. Rice noodles kill me. Egg noodles are fine, Bean thread noodles are fine, soba is fine, other pastas are fine, but rice noodles, even in very modest quantities will spike my BS like mad. I just avoid them most of the time and allow myself to eat them once in a while as a treat. The endocrinologist says the occasional high won't harm me.
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    I'm surprised to see such different results from everyone. This is all such a learning experience.

Mom, you might be right. I made Chickpea cookies that day and had to pull out the honey with a spoon from the tub. I'll bet that was it. A couple nights later I ate pineapple and the next night I ate cantaloupe as my only substantial carbs. The BS went up, but not even close to where it was when I freaked out with this topic.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have trigger foods, I know I can eat something and be very high but eat it another time and my BG is to low, maybe its the combination of foods together that cause it to go high.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Isn't it interesting how very differently we each react?
    My doctor advised me to try a wheat-free approach for 30 days to see what happens. Luckily my bg dropped nice and low. Lately I've been trying some "gluten-free" foods, but my bg started to climb. So I think grains in general don't agree with my blood sugar. We learn and learn and learn each day.

Good luck to all!
    Margaret
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Onions, Carrots, and the one that shocked me most, Cucumbers. I was warned to be wary of vegetables that grow below ground, but the cucumber seemed so delicious and innocent. I can handle a few slices though.

Wheat, would probably spike me too, if I could eat it at all. I get nasty cold symptoms from it so I don't even try. I am okay with rye though, and as long as I keep it to one slice I will stay under 120.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes, sweet potatoes (which are supposed to be okay for us) and mango anything spike me through the roof.

Ironically, bananas and pasta I'm okay with. Go figure.
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    Great comments, everyone! I'm shocked to read these foods and their effects.

I haven't tested pasta yet. Can't wait now that you mentioned it, Miss J!

You can't even eat raw cukes or carrots, Gearjammer?
  • celestep2k1
    Options
    I think Bettyboop has a hugely valid point. Combinations of foods are appearing to me to play a role in me too.

I really thought I'd resent testing frequently when I was first diagnosed, but I'm finding out they're the biggest tool in battling diabetes.