Diabetes/Cushings in Dogs

Options
dixiech1ck
dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
I was wondering if anyone else had dog(s) that are dealing with diabetes and / or cushings disease. I have three rescued chihuahuas and my eldest (a chi/rat terrier mix) was diagnosed with diabetes in June. She was doing fine on the insulin (Humelin N) up until a few weeks ago, when I noticed she'd been drinking a lot of water and is having accidents where she won't even get up to go, she just urinates where she is laying. It's my understanding that this could mean that she either needs an adjustment of her insulin OR that it's possible she has kidney issues or Cushings Disease. She's going to be 10 in April and has been slowly deteriorating over the course of the last year. She's lost weight, she's very slow, but then, she'll have her good days where she races back and forth through the apartment with her brother. She does eat well and still has spunk. I'm just concerned that when I take her back to the vet, it's going to be something worse.

Any advice or information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I tried to reply to this last night but my phone had an epic crash.

Second try. So, if I'm reading this correctly, you've self diagnosed your known diabetic dog with Cushing's Disease. There has been no bloodwork or vet visit. Please try to refrain from diagnosing your pet without a medical license. The only one who suffers will be the pet. I am not a veterinarian and I would not trust myself to diagnose my pet.

Your diabetic dog is drinking and urinating more often than usual. I'm not sure why this automatically means Cushings to you. That is actually a symptom of diabetes. When was the last time your dog had a BG curve? To me it sounds as if the insulin dose needs adjusting. I would suggest you do this sooner than later. You do not want the dog becoming DKA, which is deadly.

And if it is Cushings, get it diagnosed and start treating it. Cushings can lead to an Addisonian crisis, also deadly.

Please, get your dog to the vet and bring up these concerns. The only way to tell what is going on instead of just assuming from something you've read off the internet is to do bloodwork.

edited to add I forgot to add that it is extremely common for diabetic cats and dogs to get UTI's. It might just be that, and not something serious. But the only way to know for sure is to get your dog to the vet.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Whoever said I self-diagnosed my dog? My dog has been to the vet multiple times (over $2,000 worth of bloodwork and GC done twice). I was simply asking if anyone else had a dog with diabetes who was dealing with Cushings. My vet said it's possible she has it, but an ultrasound, at $800 is just not in my financial abilities right now. Treating Cushings can ALSO be deadly, since you seem to know it all, yet aren't a vet and don't have a medical license.

It's too bad your phone had an epic crash last night. I'd have preferred not to read your insensitivities and assumptions today.

So much for asking a question.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    Your post made me smile. I'm glad you have taken your dog to the vet as nowhere in your post did you state this.
    She was doing fine on the insulin (Humelin N) up until a few weeks ago, when I noticed she'd been drinking a lot of water and is having accidents where she won't even get up to go, she just urinates where she is laying. It's my understanding that this could mean that she either needs an adjustment of her insulin OR that it's possible she has kidney issues or Cushings Disease.
    You are correct, I am not a veterinarian. But I am a Veterinary Technician with over 10 years of experience and I currently manage an Emergency Hospital. It is slightly alarming that your dog has only had 2 BG curves, most have many more but that would depend on how long your dog has been diabetic. I'm sorry you were offended by my advice, but it was sound advice. Don't ask if you don't want answers. Either way, do the bloodwork. It's the only way to know +/- ultrasound.

Next time mention the part about the vet. I have no apologies.
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options
    have you ever thought about testing your pup's BG's at home? i have a diabetic cat and test his blood before every shot and thus am able to keep him in a nice range- he doesn't even drink any water and his urine output is the same as my other feline's in house. it is very easy to get the teeny tiny drop of blood from a dog or cat's ear margins and become proactive in regulating your dog's BG's- this actually works far better than dropping a diabetic pet off at vet hospital for a curve...they are actually pretty useless cause 1 solitary 8-10 hour curve in a strange stressful setting does NOT reflex what a pet's normal BG's on that dose of insulin at home is like. go to u-tube and search out videos on how to test a pet's BG at home- it is NOT hard to do and will ave you a boat load of $$ n the long run while greatly improving your dog's health. (and yeah i am a veterinarian- and i strongly urge all my clients w/ diabetic pets to home test, they are more than welcome to share their BG logs w/ me for help in dose adjustments but eventually most don't even need that, they learn to manage insulin dose by themselves). if dogs aren't run in a tight BG range they usually lose their eyesight...sooner rather than later.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    have you ever thought about testing your pup's BG's at home? i have a diabetic cat and test his blood before every shot and thus am able to keep him in a nice range- he doesn't even drink any water and his urine output is the same as my other feline's in house. it is very easy to get the teeny tiny drop of blood from a dog or cat's ear margins and become proactive in regulating your dog's BG's- this actually works far better than dropping a diabetic pet off at vet hospital for a curve...they are actually pretty useless cause 1 solitary 8-10 hour curve in a strange stressful setting does NOT reflex what a pet's normal BG's on that dose of insulin at home is like. go to u-tube and search out videos on how to test a pet's BG at home- it is NOT hard to do and will ave you a boat load of $$ n the long run while greatly improving your dog's health. (and yeah i am a veterinarian- and i strongly urge all my clients w/ diabetic pets to home test, they are more than welcome to share their BG logs w/ me for help in dose adjustments but eventually most don't even need that, they learn to manage insulin dose by themselves). if dogs aren't run in a tight BG range they usually lose their eyesight...sooner rather than later.
    Excellent advice!
  • kthycrlsn
    kthycrlsn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My 10 year old doxie was diagnosed Saturday morning with Diabetes & Cushings. I'm taking her in tomorrow for additional tests.
  • DallastheGemini
    DallastheGemini Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My Australian Shepard is diabetic. I know when she starts drinking a lot and peeking a lot that her sugars are high. Because of the diabeties, she constantly suffers from UTI's. I don't do daily blood checks because with her vet, we have her on a good regimen. She gets two shots a day after meals. She also eats good for diabetic dogs. I would make sure you take your pup to the vets or at least call your vet, when you notice excessive drinking because it could be that adjustments need to be made to the amount of insulin they get each day. I would also ask your vet if they will accept a payment plan. It never hurts to ask! You also think about let insurance. I have VPI Pet Insurance for my Pit Bull and it has been a life and money saver! Check out www.petinsurance.com for more info. In most cases they'll accept you even if your dog has a previous illness.