Body Revolution With Heavy Weights

Options
TyFit08
TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
I know they use 3,5,8lbs in the video, but Jillian does say go heavier if you can. I did the program last year, but I didn't finish. I would use 8, 10, 12lbs. But I'm thinking of starting this up again and going even heavier. Has anyone tried and would lie to share their results with JMBR with heavy weights?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing Chalean Extreme? That encourages the use of heavy weights.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I didn't want t pay 100+ for another program. So I have no plans of doing Chalean. My friend's husband was training for Tough Mudder and was showing my husband his routine, he was surprised when I told him many of the exercises are also in JMBR. Obviously when he does squat presses or good mornings he is using something more substantial than 8lbs.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I've been using 5, 8, and 10's and I've been fine. It's definitely more of a challenge, but I love adding the heavier weights. I especially like using heavier weights on a lot of the things like squats, step ups, the one where you twist and go down to one knee, and good mornings. I started slow though. No weights the first workout, lighter on the second, and so on until I was up to my heaviest weights. And I plan to do that with each of the workout sets. I'd say go for it and back down if you start to notice any bulking or if you feel like you might injure yourself. The best thing about these types of programs is that they are very customizable.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree, I haven't started yet, but when I do her other DVD's, I switch weights all the time. I might use 3lb for front raises (shoulder) but 5 or 8 for shoulder raises over the head, 8 or 10 for chest/ab crunch. I found it kept my heart rate up when the exercise got easier but I will baby my shoulder and knees if I feel pain or discomfort. I don't think for many of her exercises she does enough reps to worry about bulk.
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm using 8s and 10s for the most part. My boyfriend has a set of 25s, but I only use one of those for the Good Mornings. I'd say if you feel strong enough, bump up the weight. I know that there are some moves where I really wish I had some 15s. Maybe I will splurge and buy some when I get ready to do Round 2. (I just started Phase 2 of Round 1 this morning.)
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I do JMBR at the gym anyway, so access to a lot of weights. Since I haven't done it in a while, I will start with 8, 10, 12lbs like I did in the past and try to eventually incorporate 15s, 20s and 25s in the routine.
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do JMBR at the gym anyway, so access to a lot of weights. Since I haven't done it in a while, I will start with 8, 10, 12lbs like I did in the past and try to eventually incorporate 15s, 20s and 25s in the routine.

OP, how was your first round result with 8/10/12? I just started ( I'm on week 2) but I'm using 10s because last week I did 5/8 and I didn't feel much of a work out. So, I'm doing 10 and am thinking of going higher when I feel comfortable.

Also, I say go heavier. You lose nothing, give it a shot and update us!
  • TyFit08
    Options

OP, how was your first round result with 8/10/12? I just started ( I'm on week 2) but I'm using 10s because last week I did 5/8 and I didn't feel much of a work out. So, I'm doing 10 and am thinking of going higher when I feel comfortable.

Also, I say go heavier. You lose nothing, give it a shot and update us!

I did JMBR last year, I stopped around week 9. I never finished. I lost about 7-10lbs, but my diet could have been better and I gained it back. Now I am down almost 20lb and running is my primary focus. I plan to do do JMBR 4 times a week and run three times. I am skipping the JMBR cardio workouts since I run for an hour 3 times a week. I'm hoping it to lose more weight and increase strength so I guess I will see how heavy I can go with the weight.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I did 3/5/8 my first round when I was relatively new to exercising daily. Now, during my second round and close to one year of regular exercise and being fit I am using 3/5/8/10/15, lol! I use the heavy weights when she says to, but I still need 3's for superman's and on days when I have low energy I'll use 5 & 8's for some exercises.

I will say this, it is definitely harder with the increased weights. I just go as heavy as I can while still maintaining good form. I could use 15's for lung chops but my muscle pulls in a weird way. It's not pain but I don't want to mess anything up, so I just do 10's until I fell ready. Listen to your body.
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm 1 workout away from finishing Phase 2 and I'm super excited about started Phase 3.
    I'm thinking after finishing JMBR I'm doing to give myself a free week or 2 before starting the programme again with heavier weights! Probably second time round I'll swap Cardio 1 with another cardio video, such as insanity (Cardio 1 is just too boring).

Thanks for the ideas on weights I'm currently using 3/5/10lb dumbells. But think I'm going to purchase a set of 8's and 15's. Then try 5/8/10/15 and 3's for some moves.

Good luck everyone!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I just found a great weight rack on amazon...my family was tired of me having them in piles or pushed against the wall in the den. lol
    It hold 5 different weights and the bulkier ones I put out of "hit toe" reach. When you use them a lot, putting them away in a closet was a pain, but this works out well.