Introductions

Options
LaChicaKmart
LaChicaKmart Posts: 26 Member
You've all heard my story. Woman struggles with weight her whole life but finds a way to get in shape through strict and unsustainable diet and exercise. Woman has children and can never get her weight past a certain point again.

So, I believed that being grossly over-weight was just the way I had to be until I had more time and flexibility in my schedule to dedicate the hours I did before children.

But, it shouldn't be this hard. It's not fair that putting on weight is so much easier than losing it. As a mom of two, married to a forward deployed sailor, I don't have the time to measure, count, and "macro" manage anything for too long.

Then, I heard about IF. I read several different blogs and sites. The main theme in all of them was to experiment and do what works for you. So, I did the 16:8, tried the coffee with butter (which made me sick and lethargic for days), and even did longer daily fasts (~18 hours). I ended up gaining weight and realized I wasn't restricting my calories enough (I wasn't fasting right). So I decided to keep track of my kcals and continue my daily fasts. I even incorporated a one day 24-hour fast. I have lost 6lbs since. This week, I will try to only do two 24-hour fasts with no daily fasts in between.

I have to say that this is the easiest, no hassle form of losing weight I have ever tried. As long as I stay busy, the fasts are a breeze.

Replies

• Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have now been doing 5/2 since February and lost 24lbs, seem to have slowed down now I am halfway to my goal weight. Live in the North West of the UK. I look at this as a way of life and will keep going however long this takes. Good luck to everybody else doing any diet.
  • LaChicaKmart
    Options
    Thanks for joining Dotty! Congrats on your weight loss!!!!
    I am new myself and have been doing it for a month, with great success. I'm doing it with my husband (he loosely) but we are both noticing improvements in energy and eating habits. It's nice not to have to think about food all of the time.
    Have you read up on anything to help with your plateau, like adding resistance training or changing up times? I'm interested to know how you get over this little bump in the road. Keep me posted!

-V
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Good morning girls. I just had a discussion with a gym owner last night about fasting. He suggest to fast 14-16 hours a day, and only have carbs with my last meal of the day...limit fruit and eat more veggies. I am going to try my first day today...but I don't know I'm awfully hungry and can't eat for another 4 hours. I wake up hungry. Is the same idea as what you girls are doing....sounds like the Atkins Diet with fasting??
  • Loubsern
    Loubsern Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there. So what you are saying is I must not eat the whole day and only eat at night. What do you eat at night and how many calouries
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi there. So what you are saying is I must not eat the whole day and only eat at night. What do you eat at night and how many calouries

Hi Lousbern there are different types of fasting you just need to find the one that works for you and go with it. I am doing the 16:8. I fast for 16 hrs I eat for 8 hrs in that 8 hrs I eat all my daily calories. which are roughly 1600 calories.
    My start eat time is 11:00 am I stop at 7:00 pm I'm asleep most of the time get up and do it all over again. I hope this helps.
  • LaChicaKmart
    Options
    Good morning girls. I just had a discussion with a gym owner last night about fasting. He suggest to fast 14-16 hours a day, and only have carbs with my last meal of the day...limit fruit and eat more veggies. I am going to try my first day today...but I don't know I'm awfully hungry and can't eat for another 4 hours. I wake up hungry. Is the same idea as what you girls are doing....sounds like the Atkins Diet with fasting??
    [/quotel

Hi and welcome!
    I have read that saving your carbs for you last meal helps with sleep, which is why he may recommend it with fasting. But I know Leangainers eat their biggest meal first. What are your goals? There are many methods to fasting.
    I personally fast every day until noon(ish) and do one to two 24-hour fasts throughout the week depending on my kcal intake. Knowing your goal may help us suggest a good fasting method.

-V
  • LaChicaKmart
    Options

Hi Lousbern there are different types of fasting you just need to find the one that works for you and go with it. I am doing the 16:8. I fast for 16 hrs I eat for 8 hrs in that 8 hrs I eat all my daily calories. which are roughly 1600 calories.
    My start eat time is 11:00 am I stop at 7:00 pm I'm asleep most of the time get up and do it all over again. I hope this helps.

Hi and welcome!
    As 2dayirunforme said, there are many methods. I usually do a daily fast from 6/7pm to 11/12 in the morning. So I am in a fed state from say 11am-6pm every day. On occasion I do a 24-hour fast, which I find is easiest to do at 4pm. The reason I choose a daily fast is because I don't usually have time for breakfast and I like having two "big" meals throughout the day rather than 3, 4, or 6 smaller meals. Definitely google and read up as much as you can and experiment to find what best works for you! Some people choose to skip lunch or dinner or even eat as they like, but fast 24-hours twice a week. As long as you keep track of your calories you should be able to slim down. Also, do some resistance training a couple of times a week to maintain or gain muscle.

-V
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    [/quotel

Hi and welcome!
    I have read that saving your carbs for you last meal helps with sleep, which is why he may recommend it with fasting. But I know Leangainers eat their biggest meal first. What are your goals? There are many methods to fasting.
    I personally fast every day until noon(ish) and do one to two 24-hour fasts throughout the week depending on my kcal intake. Knowing your goal may help us suggest a good fasting method.

-V
    My goal is to maintain all the muscle I've worked so hard for and lose about 15-20 lbs. Yes he did say eating a big meal with carbs would help with sleep....but that is not an issue for me I usually sleep really well.
  • LaChicaKmart
    Options
    [/quotel

Hi and welcome!

-V
    My goal is to maintain all the muscle I've worked so hard for and lose about 15-20 lbs. Yes he did say eating a big meal with carbs would help with sleep....but that is not an issue for me I usually sleep really well.

Cool, checkout www.leangains.com and I would recommend Dr. Berardi's free e-book (http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting). I think they are good sources to start with for your goals.

Happy reading,
    -V
  • LaChicaKmart
    Options

Oh and staying busy while fasting is key! I find it easiest when I am at work (very active and busy). Try to schedule your fasts around time you are busiest.

-V
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm Sanjo. Some friends of mine heard about intermittent fasting and shared their experiences with me. I watched the BBC documentary and read the accompanying book plus a few others. I started on July 7 and don't see any downside so far. I like the awareness, the energy, and the success that comes from IF. I have done full day fasts. Maybe when I get to maintenance I will try 16:8 but I will still probably have a weekly full day fast. Thank you for the link to the free ebook which will be good t share if people ask me about IF and best wishes for success to everybody trying this!
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm Sanjo. Some friends of mine heard about intermittent fasting and shared their experiences with me. I watched the BBC documentary and read the accompanying book plus a few others. I started on July 7 and don't see any downside so far. I like the awareness, the energy, and the success that comes from IF. I have done full day fasts. Maybe when I get to maintenance I will try 16:8 but I will still probably have a weekly full day fast. Thank you for the link to the free ebook which will be good t share if people ask me about IF and best wishes for success to everybody trying this!

Hi Sanjo I'm curious to know what kind of results you got with the full day fast and do you do the 5:2 approach? I have been kicking around the idea and do you exercise on the days that you do the 24hr fast? if so what is your energy level like? as I teach class 3x a week.
  • cheriibomb
    cheriibomb Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm not sure what the whole fasting thing is, is there some where I can read up on it. I'm definitely interested in it. I'm 207 now and can't ever seen to break through the 200's. I'm a single mom and I want to start hitting this head on. I'm tired of my weight ruling me. I want to be happy and healthy :)
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Interested too... I'm in maintenance now, but considering jumping back in to drop another 5-10lbs. Thought maybe trying this approach might help...
  • LaChicaKmart
    Options
    Welcome Sanjo, and congrats on your success so far!

Cheriisey and Kuderstadt, welcome! To answer your questions, I think I will post a sticky of some helpful links. Give me a minute to get it together.

-V
  • SchmertNat
    SchmertNat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies:
    In week 2 of IF and so far loving it. Not sure how much I'll be on here. I'm on main thread if you would like to friend me. I also am part of another board (not MFP or IF related) and will be starting school again soon......so getting busy. But, I hope to get to know you and learn from you in the meantime!!!
  • LaChicaKmart
    Options
    Hi ladies:
    In week 2 of IF and so far loving it. Not sure how much I'll be on here. I'm on main thread if you would like to friend me. I also am part of another board (not MFP or IF related) and will be starting school again soon......so getting busy. But, I hope to get to know you and learn from you in the meantime!!!

Thanks for joining! We'll take any Nat we can get!
  • monnyq
    monnyq Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I'm Mo! I've been doing IF (5/2) on and off since April. This has tremedously helped with decreasing my body fat percentage. This week I'm strict on my eating during my feeding windows since I'm heading to VEGAS next weekend. Please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • LaChicaKmart
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I'm Mo! I've been doing IF (5/2) on and off since April. This has tremedously helped with decreasing my body fat percentage. This week I'm strict on my eating during my feeding windows since I'm heading to VEGAS next weekend. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

Welcome Mo! A real veteran on our board! :drinker:
    I'm very excited to follow your progress! Thanks for joining!

-V
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning of my fast days but just some simple body weight stuff and yoga poses. I exercise with Tabata intervals on my home exercise bike the morning after my fasting days and then I don't break my fast until another hour has gone by. My energy levels have always tended to be low, but I think IF helps with this because so much energy is no longer diverted to digesting all the time. Still, I don't do extremely strenuous workouts, often just a 30 minute walk or a leisurely bike ride. My friend who introduced me to IF runs 4 miles on one of her fast days and she says it can be hard and she gets hungry but she is sticking with it. So far I have fasted 3 days each week (MWF) but I am open to 5:2 or even a 6:1 as I get closer to my goal. I'm not sure what my goal is but something like 25 lbs from where I am now.