Food sensitivity to coconut?

Options
asoeung
asoeung Posts: 41 Member
I think my worst fear is coming true!! :( I'm starting to strongly think I have a food sensitivity issue w/ coconut. I'm noticing a pattern of stomach cramping and bloating after ingesting coconut products- and it seems to be more severe with the more amount of it I eat. Nooooooooooooo!! Coconut has been my lifeline since going Paleo... I've learned to love coconut milk in my coffee instead of 1/2 & 1/2, and I cook almost everything in coconut oil. It's probably been my most significant fat source over the past year.

Does anyone else have experience with "issues" with coconut? It seems like I may be able to have coconut oil still? I don't seem to notice issues when ingesting the oil specifically. Do you think it could be the 'flesh' part that causes the problem? It didn't seem like I used to react this way - do you think this is something I could have developed because I've so rapidly increased my consumption of it in the last year? *sigh!*

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I can't do coconut either. I had my suspicions about it but a food sensitivity test confirmed it. It's only a mild sensitivity but it's something I have to avoid because of the way it makes me feel when I eat it. The interesting thing is that even though nuts did not provoke a reaction in my blood, I can't eat them because they give me stomach aches.
  • lesumm3r
    lesumm3r Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have had problems with coconut most of my life so I can totally relate!!! For me it's cream based products which I think comes from the flesh; however I seem to be fine with the 'water' because several tropical holidays and a few cartons of coco-vita have produced no reaction! My reaction to coconut cream etc is generally horrible stomach ache and sickness... very unpleasant, and I even get it with products like Malibu (yes, not just because it's alcoholic haha).

I'd therefore say that things like the oil and the water should be alright. I can eat bags of banana chips cooked in coconut oil and not feel a thing! But I'd test it out a couple of times if you're not sure, and go see a doctor if it gets really bad because with some people a coconut sensitivity can be linked to a pineapple sensitivity/allergy so I'd be careful about that too just to be on the safe side. As someone who is lactose/gluten/soya/coconut intolerant aswell as undergoing tests re: nuts I urge you to be careful and listen to your body. I know there are lots of recipes including coconut products and it is a great way of getting nutrients/substituting flour but don't let that pressure you in to continuing using it. My main advice would be to reduce intake for a month and then see if re-introducing small quantities would be acceptable to your body? Eat foods your body is sensitive to can have long term effects and I'm pretty sure ignoring I had coeliac is what gave me all these problems with dairy (I used to drink a ton of milk/eat yoghurt daily and had no problems...).

Look after yourself and don't worry too much! Good luck!
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have no advice or insight but I would like to express my condolences for such a tragic development.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have problems with processed coconut milk (in the carton) so I just make it myself. It's pretty easy to make and doesn't give me any tummy troubles.