Will i get any results on 50grms of carbs ? Anyone?

Options
Debbiedebbiey
Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
Ok. I guess I was expecting more weightloss by now. Two weeks ago today today I started, low carb, hi fat. 1500 cals, 90 protein, under 50 carbs, 110ish fat .Bulletproof coffee to start my day, Fasting from 5pm to 11am. I really don't want to do lower carbs than this, know it wouldn't be sustainable. love what im eating, could definitely do this awhile, have cut out my apple I used to eat everyday:ohwell: , .....

But daggone :noway: ?!!! The scale goes down 2, next day it comes up 2, then its down again. Same thing (numbers wise) as when I was eating 150carbs/day !!! When I see in the a.m.scale has moved, im excited, think, "oh yeh! this is working" ...Nxt day or so, get on scale again...bam, back to where I was 2wks ago. (drinking way more water than I need-peeing is my pt job.lol) I don't weigh every day, but anytime ive ever done low carb, im down 7 or 8lbs by now. I guess I"ll just hang in there, the only thing low carb hi fat seems to have helped is curb my cravings. Im still feeling like I cant hang thru my exercise dvds. bouillon to bring my Anyone else experience zero pounds lost 2 weeks in ????

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately your carbs may be a bit high. Your fat looks good and protein is probably ok. There is a reason why Atkins induction starts at 20 g carbs. Some people need to stick with 20-30 g carbs/day to lose weight. You won't know unless you try it.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on lots of things! Age, height, metabolism, previous eating behaviour and probably much more. If you are only taking in 1500 cals and doing a bit of exercise you should see gradual loss, okay it might be slow but if its sustainable then it is worth the wait! After all we need to find a way of eating that we can live comfortably with for life, a short term fix will see the weight creeping back. I am losing about two pounds a month, if I don't attain the two pounds at next official weigh in I might look at cutting cals/carbs. Think we have to give things a chance and then experiment if its not working. Presently I am around 1800 cals, 65% fat, 25% protein which works out around 46 grams carb, I upped the carb from 20 as didn't have enough energy. Remember to increase salt as well as water. Good luck.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I personally never am successful on a daily 50g of carbs. The only time I eat that many carbs is if I am doing a carb load deliberately. I generally have to be under 30g of net carbs a day to lose weight.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I personally never am successful on a daily 50g of carbs. The only time I eat that many carbs is if I am doing a carb load deliberately. I generally have to be under 30g of net carbs a day to lose weight.

I eat less than 20 net Carbs usually. Everyone is different.

Macros are 65% fats, 30% proteins, 5% Carbs.

Went from 10.2% bf down to 5.7% in 3 months....
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 150g of carbs now, going to 50g is a big difference and it should show in your weight. Right now I average about 50g of carbs per day, sometimes less and sometimes more. It worked for me for a little while, but now I think I need to re-adjust.

150g of carbs is considered to be weight maintenance zone, while under 100 is generally considered weight loss zone, but as you can tell from some of the other posts, sometimes you need to go lower to get the results you want.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Well thanks but like moss said, the only way it will work is if it's something you can live with long term. I could do 20 carbs for 2wks but when I go back up to 40ish, . Will I gain back what I've lost ?
  • Jennyflies
    Jennyflies Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself every day. Its hard to do, but the scale can be misleading. Try measuring instead. You will see results better there.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well thanks but like moss said, the only way it will work is if it's something you can live with long term. I could do 20 carbs for 2wks but when I go back up to 40ish, . Will I gain back what I've lost ?
    Can only answer from my own experience-no after 5-6 weeks averaging 20 carbs I have not put that initial loss back on when moving to nearer 50 carbs daily. For some of us controlling carbs is probably crucial in curbing hunger and overeating. So low carb is more helpful, hopefully by experimenting we can find an amount that is sustainable whilst giving us a reduction in weight. For me the mental benefits of low carb is just as important as my slow weight loss as I am no longer controlled by food, think I am carb sensitive. Try to look at where you would be a year from now if you followed the (slow tortoise route, as opposed to the hare route), different things suit different people!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You are doing great with your carb totals this week.
    Suggestions and questions:
    Why are you taking protein powder?
    Having more protein as meat or eggs would satisfy you more,
    and may prevent you from craving more carbs.
    You're eating peanut butter; try cashew or almond butter instead.
    Peanuts are legumes, and thus are not recommended for Paleo.
    You mentioned apples; perhaps you could buy
    the smallest ones you can find at the market.

paleohacks.com is a good website to help with questions, too.

Best wishes!
  • Birdy989
    Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! I've got to tell you, the same thing happened to me. If you've been a yo-yo dieter who has fluctuated from high carb to low carb over the years, it's going to be tougher each time. I did Atkins a few years back, and lost a good 5 or 6 lbs the first week. This time around, I was the same as you. Maybe a pound or two, but the next day or day after that it would be back. I didn't start seeing the real weight loss until about the start of week 4. Then at that point, I lost 2 lbs a week and am still losing. I did lose inches, tho, those first three weeks. Don't get discouraged. If 50 works for you and is something you can stick with (I'm the same -- 50 is perfect for me) then don't mess with it. Try exercising s little more or adding in strength training to up your metabolism a little, too. Good luck!
  • Birdy989
    Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Also, I just looked at your food diary. In my humble opinion, you're not getting near enough fiber. I don't see a whole lot of veggies or greens. Try to have one salad with raw veggies every day as part of those 50 grams of carbs. At the very least, take a big glass of water with Metamucil every morning. I always stall out when I don't get enough fiber in my diet. My metabolism gets sluggish, and without those veggies/greens, your body isn't getting all the antioxidants and micronutrients it needs to be at its optimum performance and health.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Oh my ! you fitness pals - you're awesome. Thanks for the wise words. That was what I needed, was someone's experiences & advice.....I shall keep at it , adding fiber, veggies. The protein :heart: powder (chocolate) is a treat, post workout & keeps me from wanting sweets. Thanks again ! :flowerforyou: Oh, does anyone know if dairy (ricotta chs) causes stalls in loss ?
  • kwaugh67
    kwaugh67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've read posts about purposely carb loading while on low carb diet. Wondering Why? What's the Philosophy behind it.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    I've read posts about purposely carb loading while on low carb diet. Wondering Why? What's the Philosophy behind it.

For people trying to lose weight or who are insulin resistant it is a bad idea. There are some young, insulin-sensitive people who can do this or carb cycling and have success at reaching their goals. But for me, no way. I'll stick with my keto-adapted state and try not to screw it up thank you very much.
  • Mistizoom
    Options
    Oh my ! you fitness pals - you're awesome. Thanks for the wise words. That was what I needed, was someone's experiences & advice.....I shall keep at it , adding fiber, veggies. The protein :heart: powder (chocolate) is a treat, post workout & keeps me from wanting sweets. Thanks again ! :flowerforyou: Oh, does anyone know if dairy (ricotta chs) causes stalls in loss ?

Depends on the person, for some dairy causes stalls. What's the carb count on the ricotta? I eat some cheese (not daily) and occassionally some cottage cheese (3 g carb per 1/2 cup for the brand I buy), maybe a bit of yogurt in a recipe once in a while. I also drink an Atkins shake daily which has whey and casein in it.

ETA: Oh, and I eat heavy cream and butter of course! I hardly consider those dairy, they are more fat sources for me. Though heavy cream does have some carbs in it, and a lot of calories.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I did a post a while back on Lyle McDonald's book "A guide to Glexible Eating" which has some good info on refeeds.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/989904-flexible-dieting-by-lyle-mcdonald-and-the-free-meal?hl=McDonald+flexible#posts-15272761

Also - this article from Mark's Daily Apple.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-should-i-increase-carb-intake-for-weight-loss/#axzz2amc0hr2y

basically though, for some it helps them to stay more committed to their overall program, if they can have the occasional free meal (avoids that sense of deprivation). It can halso elp boost leptin is another reason.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Though heavy cream does have some carbs in it, and a lot of calories.
    I have never seen a heavy cream (at least 40% fat) that has carbs in it? Yep, lots of calories. I love being able to get very fat dense calories like that, personally.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Though heavy cream does have some carbs in it, and a lot of calories.
    I have never seen a heavy cream (at least 40% fat) that has carbs in it? Yep, lots of calories. I love being able to get very fat dense calories like that, personally.

I think it's a low level, but there is some nominal amount. Something like 7 g per cup of cream, or .44 g per tbsp. You probably should count 1 g per every 2 tbsp used.

If you're in a pinch a need something low cab, high fat - stop at Starbucks. They can make drinks with heavy cream. This is great for travel emergencies at airports. just watch the calories. Get a tall, or even a short.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I think it's a low level, but there is some nominal amount. Something like 7 g per cup of cream, or .44 g per tbsp. You probably should count 1 g per every 2 tbsp used.
    learn something new every day!

Went and checked nutritiondata.com and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream does have 3.3g of carbs per cup. Since there are 32 tablespoons in a cup, I think you are safe to consider heavy cream to have no carbs at the tablespoon level, though.
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    learn something new every day!

Went and checked nutritiondata.com and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream does have 3.3g of carbs per cup. Since there are 32 tablespoons in a cup, I think you are safe to consider heavy cream to have no carbs at the tablespoon level, though.

16 tbsp per cup. Maybe different brands are different? I use Dairyland, which shows 7 g per cup.