So My TDEE is 1877

Options
Can someone please explain in simple terms what this means? And how it differs from how many calories I am allotted by MFP daily (which is 1200).

Replies

• emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

I'm still new to this but I thought I would try to explain.. If I'm wrong on any of this please feel free to correct me..

The way MFP works is it takes your estimated calorie burn per day and puts you at a calorie deficit depending on how aggressive your weight loss goals are (ex. 1 lb per week vs. 2 lb per week). Then it expects you follow the plan and eat back your exercise calories because the exercise calorie deficit is not all ready built in.

TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure and is similar to MFP in assessing your total daily calorie burn but it also calculates your total weekly exercise burn as well so you do not eat your calories back to maintain your body weight. Then depending on your goals you create a deficit -20%, -10%, ect. and then you achieve weight loss.

Apparently from what I have read the TDEE calculator seems to be a little more accurate than the MFP estimator on your daily calorie needs which is why I like using TDEE and IIFYM but hopefully this helps you understand where the math is coming from.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Pretty much, yeah. MFP uses a NEAT calculator, which assumes that you will only be using a caloric deficit to lose weight. It takes your vital statistics and activity setting (sedentary or lightly active for most) and gives you a calorie goal with a deficit built in. Therefore, if you do additional exercise, you are expected to eat more that day to keep your deficit from growing too large. This allows for varying exercise routines and is ideal if you exercise infrequently or at greatly varying intensities. TDEE takes your vital statistics, average activity level and weekly workouts into account and gives you how many calories you need to maintain your weight at that activity level. To lose weight, you typically reduce that number by 5, 10 or 20% (the closer you are to goal, the smaller the deficit you should have) to create a caloric deficit. This value includes your exercise calories already, so there is no need to eat them back. This has the benefit of having a steady calorie goal from day to day, making it easier to plan your day. The downside is that you have to keep up with all of the workouts you input into the calculator. If you skip, you reduce your deficit. If you skip enough workouts, you can end up overeating. If done correctly, the two methods should give you approximately the same results. I've spot checked it for my information, and came up with a total weekly calorie total for each that were about 100 calories apart (not bad for a 7 day period). The problem with the MFP calculator is that a lot of people don't fully understand how it works and end up either drastically undereating (why would I eat more? I just exercised to burn OFF calories!) or by severely overestimating their burns (MFP's exercise database entries are notorious for this).
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    1/ BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2/ NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over.

3/ EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4/ TEF (Thermic Effect of Feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5/ TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): The total calories you require - and the sum of the above (BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF).

Basically your TDEE is everything. MFP only uses your BMR+NEAT to determine calorie intake.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    This is about as clear as mud. TDEE, BMR, RMR, BMI, I am so confused over all of the various numbers I am overwhelmed. I am about to give up after 310 days of using MFP as I am now learning the hard way that MFP completely over calculates exercise. I am on the lifym site and calculated my TDEE using the first factor. I do some cardio and walking everyday so I put in everyday for my exercise level. Came up with 2590. I used the activity calculator and put in light 90 mins, that is about my usual for exercise I mentioned, came up with 1593. Is that the amount of calories I am supposed to eat? MFP says for my sedentary setting I should eat 1270 cals a day. I guess I just don't understand how all of this is suppose to work.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This is about as clear as mud. TDEE, BMR, RMR, BMI, I am so confused over all of the various numbers I am overwhelmed. I am about to give up after 310 days of using MFP as I am now learning the hard way that MFP completely over calculates exercise. I am on the lifym site and calculated my TDEE using the first factor. I do some cardio and walking everyday so I put in everyday for my exercise level. Came up with 2590. I used the activity calculator and put in light 90 mins, that is about my usual for exercise I mentioned, came up with 1593. Is that the amount of calories I am supposed to eat? MFP says for my sedentary setting I should eat 1270 cals a day. I guess I just don't understand how all of this is suppose to work.

Your diary is private. What has been your average caloric intake for the past couple of weeks? Keep in mind that all of these online calculators are not 100% accurate. Look at them more as a starting baseline, but depending on your level of activity and other factors, you may need to increase or decrease your calories. With that being said, 2600 is probably too high for your goals/activity level. Your idea of exercise everyday is most likely not what the calculator considers exercise. 1600 may be just about right. Also, keep in mind that if you are doing steady state cardio as your only form of exercise, while also eating lower calories, your body finds it easier to adapt your metabolism to your activity level. I recommend averaging out your calories over the past couple of weeks and starting at that level. You may find that you need to increase to 1600 or decrease, depending on where your average is currently.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options

Your diary is private. What has been your average caloric intake for the past couple of weeks? Keep in mind that all of these online calculators are not 100% accurate. Look at them more as a starting baseline, but depending on your level of activity and other factors, you may need to increase or decrease your calories. With that being said, 2600 is probably too high for your goals/activity level. Your idea of exercise everyday is most likely not what the calculator considers exercise. 1600 may be just about right. Also, keep in mind that if you are doing steady state cardio as your only form of exercise, while also eating lower calories, your body finds it easier to adapt your metabolism to your activity level. I recommend averaging out your calories over the past couple of weeks and starting at that level. You may find that you need to increase to 1600 or decrease, depending on where your average is currently.

OK I have opened up my diary so you can take a look. Maybe then this will all make sense.
  • AngelicValkyrie
    Options
    This is all such great advice! I feel so much better, because I do a lot of walking and moving and I went over by 99 calories according to MFP, but TDEE seems much more accurate, because I truly feel drained when I am exactly at or under what MFP says.

Thank you for helping to clarify things for me