Venting...

Options
Jasmine_James
Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
I've been doing keto since the beginning of this year (with some schedule breaks every month or so). I've mainly stuck to the same meal plan, but last week decided I need to get more adventurous with my snacks. So I went on my usual shopping trip to Whole Foods to get supplies for fat bombs (which turned out great!) and to try pork rinds and sour cream.

Of course, I couldn't find pork rinds at Whole Foods. I decided to ask, in case they had a version buried somewhere in the store.

Me to WF employee: "Hi, I was wondering, do you guys sell pork rinds?"

WH employee: "Oh god no, Whole Foods would never sell pork rinds. They are so bad for you. See, we only sell really healthy foods here. Pork rinds are terrible for you -- you really shouldn't eat them at all."

I took the high road and just told him thanks but I'll be the judge of what's healthy for me.

But AHHH! I seriously want to print out a bunch of articles and walk up to him in the store and say, "Actually, dude, pork rinds are superior to all these baked goods and chips you sell -- and here's why..."

Thanks for listening. Just had to vent to someone who would understand! (My fiance just laughed at me.)

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I go through this ALL the time. And usually I can keep my trap shut and not tell them they are stupid.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Those jerks are right up there on my list with people who tell you to "eat more whole wheat."
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Totally! And I am sure you can relate. I really think we have the most annoying people on earth at our Boulder, CO Whole Foods -- shoppers and employees. But whatever, just ordered some no-preservatives pork rinds from Amazon and they'll be here tomorrow.

Venting to y'all helped bring me back down to my happy place. :smile:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My sister went looking for food dye once. I know that there are companies that make a natural versions with beet extract and other natural ingredients. Granted, I'm sure they are still not the healthiest thing BUT SURELY if they sell crackers and healthy "chips" then this would meet their standards for health lol. Anyways the guy was a total douche to my sis and told her pretty much the same thing "we don't sell that, it's unhealthy" and made her feel like total crap. Whole Foods is on my boycott list for hiring idiots! Sorry about your pork rinds!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My sister went looking for food dye once. I know that there are companies that make a natural versions with beet extract and other natural ingredients. Granted, I'm sure they are still not the healthiest thing BUT SURELY if they sell crackers and healthy "chips" then this would meet their standards for health lol. Anyways the guy was a total douche to my sis and told her pretty much the same thing "we don't sell that, it's unhealthy" and made her feel like total crap. Whole Foods is on my boycott list for hiring idiots! Sorry about your pork rinds!

they do sell food coloring though.. I've seen it? Maybe it's because you called it dye, that's different from coloring.
  • highervibes
    Options

they do sell food coloring though.. I've seen it? Maybe it's because you called it dye, that's different from coloring.

Maybe? Not sure, but in any case they're been boycotted for that one hehehe.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have only recently discovered pork rinds

omg its delish

im sad for you being unable to get what you wanted

but again the ignorance doesnt surprise me, when 'complex' carbs seem to be winning the PR war with food. I got told by a nurse to eat 'diet yogurt' instead of full fat cause it doesnt have as much fat and protein, had to tell her diet/low fat stuff is full of sugar cause how else would it have any taste? duh!
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Ate pork rinds at a pool party. Everyone thought I was crazy telling me I'll lose my abs and get fat...

Ah... they wouldn't understand lol
  • highervibes
    Options
    smashed pork rinds make a really nice breading on chicken too :) Think outside the bag hehehe
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ate pork rinds at a pool party. Everyone thought I was crazy telling me I'll lose my abs and get fat...

Ah... they wouldn't understand lol

Word. Pork rinds are great for keto! I've heard though that there is virtually no protein in pork rinds that actually gets used by the body even though protein is reported on the nutrition facts label. Not sure how much truth there is to it.

Anyway, the world just doesn't understand us keto'ers, but oh well. We'll keep doing our thing and getting fitter. :tongue:
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Whole Foods for the same reason I don't wear skinny jeans. I might have to talk to hipsters.

I say go back in there with the info and put him/her in their place. Who are they to tell anyone about nutrition unless they are a certified nutritionist.

I'm definitely confrontational and actually enjoy calling people out when they are spewing BS.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    smashed pork rinds make a really nice breading on chicken too :) Think outside the bag hehehe

NICE IDEA! Thank you very much!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I don't go to Whole Foods for the same reason I don't wear skinny jeans. I might have to talk to hipsters.

I say go back in there with the info and put him/her in their place. Who are they to tell anyone about nutrition unless they are a certified nutritionist.

I'm definitely confrontational and actually enjoy calling people out when they are spewing BS.

Also, it surprises me that the employee didn't take into account a customer perspective of that conversation - whether the employee meant to or not, they insulted the customer's choice in product. Whole Foods is still a business in the service industry.
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    But....you live in Boulder, land of the healthiest and the skinniest.
  • mkroyer28
    Options
    But....you live in Boulder, land of the healthiest and the skinniest.

I think you mean land of the most stoned.... ;) I think Co Springs is more "fit"
  • Ninanator
    Options
    Ah, they are still under the assumption that the USDA recommendations of low fat, high carbs are good for you, and/or believe that the only acceptable lifestyle is vegetarian or vegan. Switzerland has come out and declared that LFHC is not working and essentially unhealthy. Which is amazing. Slowly, maybe, marketing and research of corporations will pick up on the HFLC bandwagon. Why wouldn't they, it'll make them money. Unfortunately, a lot of people are "educated" through advertising.
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    Hi! Sorry you dealt with an opinionated employee. I work for WFM in the same region as you (different state), and really they teach us to be open to everyone's diet.

I would recommend if you go back to whole foods: the paleo cookies made by Zest (and made in Boulder), parm crisps, and our awesome applegate pepperoni. Those are my go to snacks/treats.
  • jgreen0524
    Options
    Yeah, WFM endorses Engine 2 diet which is basically exactly OPPOSITE keto diet. It is vegan, no oil, no salt, high carb diet.
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    they freaking carry cookies and chocolate covered everything in their bulk section, what the hell!!!
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Ah, they are still under the assumption that the USDA recommendations of low fat, high carbs are good for you, and/or believe that the only acceptable lifestyle is vegetarian or vegan. Switzerland has come out and declared that LFHC is not working and essentially unhealthy. Which is amazing. Slowly, maybe, marketing and research of corporations will pick up on the HFLC bandwagon. Why wouldn't they, it'll make them money. Unfortunately, a lot of people are "educated" through advertising.

The latest report by the European cardiovascular disease organization shows that Switzerland has the greatest % of fat in their diet in comparison to other European countries (page 75) and the lowest rate of heart disease (page 30). And the countries with the highest rates of heart disease have the highest rate of carbo in their diet! Here's the report:
    http://www.escardio.org/about/Documents/EU-cardiovascular-disease-statistics-2012.pdf