Period return?

Options
RBXChas
RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
This is my first time EBFing, so I'm wondering what your experiences are with regard to how long it took for your period to return.

With my first I BFed some and pumped some, but he was mostly formula-fed. My period came back almost exactly three months postpartum.

This time at my 6-week postpartum check-up, my OB, who knew I am EBFing, said I could expect it to return at three months postpartum. Considering how last time it took three months but I was far from EBFing, her prediction surprised me.

I know we are all different, and every pregnancy/postpartum experience is different, but I'm curious as to what I might expect on this front.

Thanks, ladies!

Replies

• keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just finished EBF about two months ago. Mine didn't come back until about six weeks ago, so about 2-3 weeks after I finished BF. with my son, I didn't get my period back until he was 16 months old, which was four months after I stopped EBF. I did pump more with my son than I did this time with my daughter. But everyone is different!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Mine came back at exactly 7 months PP. Still breastfeeding at 9.5 months and getting regular periods now.

Also: Booooooooooo (thumbs down). Periods suck!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    with my daughter my period came back 4,5months PP, currently 6.5month PP and no period yet! Who knows! mother nature is a mystery, lol
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    With my first daughter, (EBF) I started my period at 7 months PP. Now, after my second, (EBF) I still haven't been visited by Flo and my youngest is a little over 9 months. It's been nice to have a longer break this time, but I guess that's to say there's no rhyme or reason!!!
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I exclusively breast fed both my kids until about 6 months when i added solids as well. With my first one i got my period at about 2 months pp and with my second about 4 months pp (I was taking all kinds of vitamins and making sure to wake up at night for a feeding) so I am one of those unlucky people who get their period despite ebf. Oh and i breastfed my oldest till 9 months and i am still breastfeeding my 2nd at 16 months, but only once a day at this point.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just got mine right around the 7 month mark. I was hoping for longer! Good news is it was super light and half the length of a regular one. Was gone in less than 3 days.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I EBF'ed for six months and continued nursing for 2.5 more years with food supplements. Sadly, my cycle returned as soon as I went back to work at 12 weeks PP. I am hoping for better luck this time.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my son, he is on solids, no formula, and I still haven't gotten my period. He is 8 months old. With my daughter, we stopped exclusively breastfeeding at 8 weeks, I pumped for another couple weeks, and my period returned about a month or so after.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    18 mths withfirst one and my baby is 16 mths now and none yeth
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hmmm, so it does vary pretty wildly! Like I said, I got mine back the first time at 3 months, and that's when I finally gave up BFing and pumping because it was incredibly frustrating and felt like an exercise in futility. Since I am EBFing and pumping when I can (1-3x/week, hoping to fit in more as my baby lets me put him down for longer periods of time), I'm hoping it will stay away longer!

Thanks for your responses!
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have four kids and have EBF all of them. My cycles tend to return when they start sleeping through their night feedings, and reduce the amount of their daytime feedings. For each one, that has been around 11-12 months. I'm 12 months PP, still breastfeeding, and period just came back.
  • Sewpunk
    Sewpunk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 18+ weeks pp and no period yet. my LO is not entirely EBF, I give about 4 oz of formula a day as a suppliment that I add it to his bottles for daycare. my pumping output is not enough to cover his bottles for the time I am away. (I have a big baby with a big appetitie, and am pumping 4 times a day to make bottles!!!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I was feeling what I thought might be lower intestinal discomfort last night that went away overnight, then today I feel that way a little (but not as bad as last night, not that last night was bad by any stretch of the imagination). I used the bathroom earlier and (sorry, TMI) saw two tiny dots of brown (like the very end if your period) on the toilet paper. Just two dots, though, but I was wondering if the pain was actually slight cramping. I'm still EBFing, and my baby still wakes up 2-3x/night (2 if I do a later dream feed, but lately I've been going to bed earlier --> 3 feedings/night, and last night was 4). No solids yet, and my son turns 4 months old tomorrow (17.5 weeks pp). I'm wearing a pantiliner, just in case :(

I'm hoping my body is just playing tricks on me because otherwise, booooooo! Stay away, Aunt Flo! Go back to Virginia!

BUT - I do have a question. Did getting your period back affect your weight loss?
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I lost a little bit more (more than my previously non-existent loss that is) after I got my TOM. But, also, I think I just got a little more serious about tracking/exercising. The thing about TOM (just to warn you) is that your milk production drops a little bit (at least mine does). I find myself stressing out, like "OH NO! I SHALL NEVER PRODUCE ENOUGH MILK TO FEED MY SON! AND HE SHALL STARVE TO DEATH OR BE FORCED TO DRINK THE DEVIL'S POISON." (I can carry a fairly dramatic interior monologue.) And then TOM goes away, and all is fine again.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I lost a little bit more (more than my previously non-existent loss that is) after I got my TOM. But, also, I think I just got a little more serious about tracking/exercising. The thing about TOM (just to warn you) is that your milk production drops a little bit (at least mine does). I find myself stressing out, like "OH NO! I SHALL NEVER PRODUCE ENOUGH MILK TO FEED MY SON! AND HE SHALL STARVE TO DEATH OR BE FORCED TO DRINK THE DEVIL'S POISON." (I can carry a fairly dramatic interior monologue.) And then TOM goes away, and all is fine again.

Good to know, thanks! I won't worry if my supply dips.

Thankfully nothing has come of it so far. Hopefully it'll stay that way (knock on wood)!
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I ebf my daughter until 2 months ago (she's 8 months old) where I added in solids. My periods came back at 3 and half months and have been very regular until this month where I had the brown spotting that you described when I wiped and then nothing so far this month so it's like a week late if I have one this month at all. I'm assuming your period can start and then just stop again depending how often you feed. I hope that's the case anyway.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I still pretty much ebf my 8 month old and I just got my first period 3 days ago... So almost 8 months.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been BFing my daughter for almost 18months now. In the beginning, it was exclusively breastmilk but now she's eating solids too. It's been 27+ months since I've had my last period.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    my son is 8 months and mine has been trying to come back (spotting off and on for weeks)...however, I have the mirena, so I'm not really sure what to expect :)
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My little girl is almost 11 months, BFs 4x a day, and I still don't have my period. I did have slight spotting one day at about 4 months PP, but nothing else. The last few months I've been feeling like I have PMS every 3-4 weeks, but nothing happens. Hoping to keep up the early morning and bed time feeds until about 18 months, and I would love it if I could get pregnant again without getting my period back. That may be wishful thinking, though! :laugh: