Options
aNewMiniMe
aNewMiniMe Posts: 116 Member
Post your new and improved challenge recipe here:heart:

Replies

• cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Here's one for y'all that has become my saving grace :smile: Oh - and its a new obsession :wink:

Zippy Spinach Artichoke Dip
    serves 4

1- 10oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    100g onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cans Cento quartered artichoke hearts (NOT the marinated kind), chopped
    1/2 c light mayo
    1/2 c Daiya pepperjack cheese (if you can have dairy, feel free to use regular shredded pepperjack cheese)
    1 t hot chopped cherry peppers

combine all ingredients in a bowl, mixing well to combine. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve up :bigsmile:

I am gluten and dairy free so have missed a lot of my "old" favorites... until this one :drinker: I love this with sliced red peppers or cucumbers and homemade tortilla chips. Often I have this as a meal - I just use ONE serving of the dip, add a touch of coconut milk to thin a little, then add it to a little cooked pasta and chicken breast :bigsmile: I use this in a LOT of different ways - not just dip. I love versatile recipes :drinker:

OH YEAH, edited to add: I shaved almost 98 calories off each serving from the original and about 5 grams of fat while making it "safe" for me to eat. Not to mention, my family and friends (who normally eat the regular version) love the flavor of this one and didn't know it was not full of dairy and fat :drinker: Bonus' all the way around :wink:

one serving: 179 calories 10g fat 5g protein
  • janlawrence2
    janlawrence2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This was formerly a pasta vegetable salad, which my family loved and I felt it timely with all the great veggies in season. All i truly did was substitute quinoa, which is a superfood, and it is absolutely our favorite summer dish!! I eat it for breakfast, a snack sometimes and as a side dish! Changing out the pasta to quinoa, I saved, per serving, 97 calories, 21 carbs (2 sugars), and added killer protein. This recipe is a little time consuming, but worth every single moment!! Trust me!!
    Quinoa Vegetable Salad
    1 t. canola oil
    1 T. minced garlic
    1/4 C. diced yellow or purple onion
    2-1/2 c. water
    2 t. salt (you can cut this back)
    1/4 t. ground black pepper
    2 C. quinoa

Heat the canola oil over med. heat in saucepan and cook and stir the garlic and 1/4 C. onion in the hot oil until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the water, 2 t. salt and 1/4 t. black pepper and bring to a boil. Stir the quinoa into the mixture, reduce heat to med.-low and cover. Simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 mins. Drain any remaining water from the quinoa with a mesh strainer (I've never had to do this) and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Refrigerate until cold. (While this is cooling, I prep the rest of my veggies and get them ready. Just line up your prep bowls, dice, and set aside until ready).

3/4 c. diced fresh tomato (I use baby tomatoes which only require one slice!)
    3/4 c. diced carrots (baby carrots are so easy!)
    1/2 c. diced yellow pepper
    1/2 c. diced cucumber
    1/2 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed (they thaw while your quinoa is cooling)
    1/4 c. diced red onion
    1-1/2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
    1 T. chopped fresh mint (the secret "wow" ingredient)
    1 t. salt
    1/4 t. ground black pepper
    2 T. olive oil
    3 T. balsamic vinegar

Stir tomato, carrots, bell pepper, cucumber, corn and 1/4 C. red onion into the chilled quinoa. Season with cilantro, mint, a little extra pepper. Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the salad and gently stir until evenly mixed. If you make ahead and let sit overnight, you may need to add a little more oil & vinegar to moisten.
    ENJOY!!
  • aNewMiniMe
    aNewMiniMe Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Okay I took a family favorite and made some simple changes that no one even noticed.

Ramen/Cabbage Salad Original recipe -Serves 6 (Items changed)

1 large head of cabbage
    1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
    3 packages Top Ramen Chicken (2 packages)
    6 green onions chopped
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    2 Tbs butter (1 Tbs butter)
    2 Cooked Chicken Breast cooled

Dressing:
    1/2 cup salad oil (1/4 cup sesame infused olive oil)
    1/2 cup white sugar (1/2 cup splenda)
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 Tbs. soy sauce
    All Ramen season packets (1 packet)
    Salt & Pepper to taste (no salt - enough in the season packages)

Chop cabbage into small bite-size pieces. Toss in chopped green onions.
    Break up ramen, brown in butter with sesame seeds and almonds. Be careful this can burn easily if not watched.
    Toss into cabbage mixture along with the cooled chicken.
    Mix all dressing ingredients well. A food processor helps a bit. Poor over salad. Refrigerate 2 hours (the day before is even better!) Stirring occasionally to keep coated.

Original Calories = 472 with 18 grams of fat
    Improved Calories = 326 with 9 grams of fat and half the sodium
  • melissalanggin
    melissalanggin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay I took a family favorite and made some simple changes that no one even noticed.

Ramen/Cabbage Salad Original recipe -Serves 6 (Items changed)

1 large head of cabbage
    1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds
    3 packages Top Ramen Chicken (2 packages)
    6 green onions chopped
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    2 Tbs butter (1 Tbs butter)
    2 Cooked Chicken Breast cooled

Dressing:
    1/2 cup salad oil (1/4 cup sesame infused olive oil)
    1/2 cup white sugar (1/2 cup splenda)
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 Tbs. soy sauce
    All Ramen season packets (1 packet)
    Salt & Pepper to taste (no salt - enough in the season packages)

Chop cabbage into small bite-size pieces. Toss in chopped green onions.
    Break up ramen, brown in butter with sesame seeds and almonds. Be careful this can burn easily if not watched.
    Toss into cabbage mixture along with the cooled chicken.
    Mix all dressing ingredients well. A food processor helps a bit. Poor over salad. Refrigerate 2 hours (the day before is even better!) Stirring occasionally to keep coated.

Original Calories = 472 with 18 grams of fat
    Improved Calories = 326 with 9 grams of fat and half the sodium

Hahahaha we call this Chinese salad at my home.... and WE LOVE IT TOO.. will def be trying your switches to it :)
  • mlerand62
    mlerand62 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sausage Barley Soup

Ingredients
    1 pound Italian sausage
    1 pound regular sausage
    1/2 cup diced onion (1 cup)
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
    1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (1 tsp)
    1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth (plus 48 oz water)
    1 large carrot, sliced (2 cups)
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
    1/4 cup uncooked pearl barley (1/2 cup)
    Directions
    In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion, and garlic until the sausage is evenly brown. Season with Italian seasoning. Remove from heat, and drain.
    In a slow cooker, mix the sausage mixture, chicken broth, carrot, spinach, and barley.
    Cover, and cook 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low.

I put my changes in (). This doubled the amount of soup. Now per 1.5 cup serving you have
    398 calories, 13 carbs, 1008 sodium and 28 fats.

I love my soup and without doubling the water this was about 800 calories a serving.
    I looked into turkey sausage which would cut the calories but not the sodium. Not worth it to this pork lover.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    This is my day starter. I used to make it with full sugar/fat ingredients.

Smoothie

8 oz ice water
    2 tbsp Metamucil original coarse unflavored
    2 tbsp pb2
    1 sm. banana

Blend in a personal sized blender.

This bad boy gives 6 G protein, 22 g fiber (!), has 239 cals and 2 g of fat.

It's an excellent way to start the day!
  • melissalanggin
    melissalanggin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ok so know i already put in a recipe but i just wanted to say that I found an alternative to PB!!

It's called "just great stuff" its an organic peanut butter powder.. I put it in my breakfast shakeology and LOVED it!