What do you say to naysayers?

Options
Quinnstinct
Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
I know Paleo is gaining popularity but there are still people (who don't really know anything about the diet) that love to make negative claims about it that are broad and somewhat false. I usually don't bother to argue with people about diets because EVERYONE has an opinion, but the anti-paleo people annoy me for some reason. What do you say to those people in that situation?

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I ignore them and let the results speak for themselves.
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If they're actually "naysaying", there's nothing you can say. If they're just incredulous and/or ignorant of the subject, then I just try to explain it. I'm not good at it, though.

In the end, I just think, "Screw 'em. I lost 140lbs while eating 2-4lbs of bacon a week. I know what works. Who cares what they think?"
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    I generally tell them how good I felt and how my skin/mood/sleep/weight improved when it's one on one but this is from a message board I'm on where a group is talking about Paleo and people are asking good questions then someone comes along posting articles about how it's not a good way of eating so I'd like to be able to gently but correctly counter.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    All I'd have to do is take off my shirt.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    exactly - I take off my shirt THEN pull out my bloodwork and say, show me yours!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's tough. Some people I ignore, others I just say, "I'm insulin resistant and am trying to keep my sugar down." I feel like that's vague enough of a response. Most people, however, don't know I'm paleo and I don't advertise it.
  • Quinnstinct
    Options
    I can't wait until my body is proof!
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've done my research.

My doctors know, and are monitoring my health improvements.

You can see the test results which I printed out from health plan website.

You can see the difference in my appearance.

No more nighttime incontinence.

If I can gladly cut two food groups from my diet--I DESERVE bacon and butter!
  • beepermad
    beepermad Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm one of those anal retentive people that has to correct those that equate it with Atkins. Yes, Atkins is pretty bad for you. Yes, this is different. Let me explain how.
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My body isn't proof - yet, so I just tell people I'm diabetic (which I am), and they leave it alone. I also have the PB food pyramid posted at my desk, so that I can point to it when the office folk offers me bagels and donuts.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I like real food. Simple as that. As someone else had stated, I normally don't bring up that I follow a paleo lifestyle, but if it becomes necessary I will be sure to let people know that I do not eat dairy or grains as I am intolerant of them.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I just don't talk about it. People who eat at my house eat what I eat. I don't bring in anything special (for them at least), and I don't worry about not having bread on the table. Your body is your problem, theirs is their problem. Just put in headphones and pretend they don't exist.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I lost weight eating bacon, steak, and butter... BAM! : )
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Exactly .... although I've had folks look at me odd when I ordered a ribeye, double veggies, no potato, a side of bacon and some butter ... which I proceed to put on the steak. All of which I enjoy with a glass of red wine. As they are shaking their heads, I mention that I've lost 30 lbs eating like that. And then we move on.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Exactly .... although I've had folks look at me odd when I ordered a ribeye, double veggies, no potato, a side of bacon and some butter ... which I proceed to put on the steak. All of which I enjoy with a glass of red wine. As they are shaking their heads, I mention that I've lost 30 lbs eating like that. And then we move on.
    And frankly, I think these people who believe you have to cut out fat and beef from your diet, that you have to live on a bunch of food only fit for getting cattle ready for slaughter, are just a bunch of puritans and they LIKE to suffer with crappy tasting food.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Haters are gonna hate! If someone comes back at me negatively with anything in life my standard come back 'I'm sorry you feel that way' and walk away. Most people don't know how to react to that so It usually puts a quick stop to their negative comments. Naysayers in general are toxic people.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I avoid them. People I know don't give me crap about it, and random people on the internet (like the rest of the MFP forums, ha!), their opinions mean less than nothing to me. Whatevs, yo.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    ribeye, double veggies, no potato, a side of bacon and some butter ... which I proceed to put on the steak. All of which I enjoy with a glass of red wine

That sounds EXACTLY like my order at a restaurant.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    ribeye, double veggies, no potato, a side of bacon and some butter ... which I proceed to put on the steak. All of which I enjoy with a glass of red wine

That sounds EXACTLY like my order at a restaurant.

Isn't it GRAND ?!!
    I'm doing 60% fat this week. Last night I had to go take a few spoonfuls of bacon grease. Tonight I'll have pecans!
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually say something like I've given up processed foods with ingredients I can't pronounce. I might even throw out that I'm diabetic and have improved my blood sugar numbers to near normal levels WITHOUT drugs!