The best way to get over a slip up?

Options
lesumm3r
lesumm3r Posts: 18 Member
Hi,

Today I was doing really well.. I had a blood test and got myself some gluten/dairy/egg/nut free dark chocolate to stop me fainting afterwards and I had only intended to eat half but ended up eating the whole thing... then I ate a couple of digestive biscuits which is really bad cause I'm gluten and lactose intolerant...

Not really sure how to fix this and I've worried I've messed up really badly because I was just starting to edge towards ketosis and my body was adjusting to low carb... I don't think I went over my daily carb allowance because I am very careful otherwise...

Any tips or advice? I'm really new to this and fell off the paleo wagon a couple of months ago because I got mumps and all I could eat was carbs cause I couldn't chew or swallow well which led to a pretty strong addiction that I'm trying to ween myself off of...

Please help me,

Thank you!

- Laura

Replies

• EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    My best advice is to get back on the horse and ride. Don't quit or give up, go right back to your eating plan. Drink a lot of water today. Try to drink a full gallon (16 cups). At dinner, drop your carbs ultra low. Add in some extra fat, even. And tomorrow it's back to your standard diet that you are pursuing. You'll be fine. We all goof once in a while. The trick is to get back on track and not let it get you down.

Also, remember that the carbs you had today are not all that much when considered over the course of a week. So if you are still close to your carbs today, by the end of the week it won't be anything but a blip.
  • lesumm3r
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to drink lots of herbal tea and water and then continue with my plan tomorrow. I already have meals mapped out with extra room for nutritious low carb snacks and I'm going swimming and to yoga to help relax my body so I'm hoping this will help. I'm so annoyed with myself but I guess these things happen and it's a marathon not a sprint. Thank you for the support I really appreciate it!
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Glad I could help.
  • cherryrobot
    cherryrobot Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    One slip up bad meal or snack doesn't ruin all your hard work, just like one great meal won't fix it instantly. Just go back to what you were doing, drink water, and stay calm.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    A few moments is all it was. Carry on!
    Go back to the better way, drink water and stay calm. Like Cherryrobot said =)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Just keep going with eating healthy. But plan for ways to avoid slip ups in the future. For me, I stay focused on my health. I do NOT want to eat something that hurts my body. That keeps me on track 99% of the time. Oh, and when I cheat, I never cheat with wheat. Ever. (And I don't call it a "cheat", just like the rhyme. lol)

If you are struggling with slip ups, cravings, excessive hunger etc you may need to reassess your carb macro. I have to be very low carb to avoid those issues. 5% of my calories and sometimes even less.
  • lesumm3r
    Options
    Thank you for all your support everyone! Regarding carb levels as I'm a student and it's summer I'm currently living at home. My mum is really supportive with my intolerances and allergies but she doesn't understand my desire to cut carbs so it's difficult for me to go super low carb. She is very healthy and fit and carbs make up a large percentage of her diet so she is an example of high carb still being effective so the understanding is not there and in an already stressful environment I would hate for her to get it in to her head that I have problems with eating.. I think I will look in to more ways of including fat in my diet. My main problem is that I am extremely active so spend my life starving which encourages me to hit the carbs..
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your support everyone! Regarding carb levels as I'm a student and it's summer I'm currently living at home. My mum is really supportive with my intolerances and allergies but she doesn't understand my desire to cut carbs so it's difficult for me to go super low carb. She is very healthy and fit and carbs make up a large percentage of her diet so she is an example of high carb still being effective so the understanding is not there and in an already stressful environment I would hate for her to get it in to her head that I have problems with eating.. I think I will look in to more ways of including fat in my diet. My main problem is that I am extremely active so spend my life starving which encourages me to hit the carbs..

Paleo does not equate to low carb, so unless you're doing keto for other reasons, you don't really need to. You only have a few pounds to lose according to your ticker, so as long as you're active, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

In other words, don't feel obligated to eat very low carb just because you're eating paleo. Go for fat first, but find a carb level that gives you the energy you need and at least doesn't adversely affect your weight, cravings, or workouts (maintaining weight isn't adverse for the sake of this). Carbs aren't the devil, and are useful if you do a lot of intense activities. Once you find the carb level that works for you, just tell your mom that you simply don't want any more of {insert carb-heavy item here}.

Paleo is naturally lower carb, largely because grains are cut out, but potatoes, fruit, and squash can easily rack up the carb number again.

And don't starve yourself! If you're hungry, eat! You need to fuel the activity level that you do!
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    hey there! i am a pretty high carber as far as paleo goes, and if i go low carb i binge. but i know it's to each his own! just give yourself grace, and focus on how you feel when you eat. don't stress too much about perfect nutrition, just take good care of youself and eat what you feel awesome eating. good luck!

ETA: i see you are newish at this and have sleep issues. i've so been there! if you need recipes or help with the sleep, message me!
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, just keep going. We all flip out once in a while (I sure do) but you will feel guilty for a bit and then you'll move on. Don't ever think that you've got to be perfect in every way. That's how I used to mess up all my previous diets years ago. Now that I've gone paleo, there's no reason you can't have a treat here and there. And if you lose it at one meal, or in a whole day, don't let it keep you down. Just say to yourself, "at my next meal it's back to normal", and you should be fine.

*For the ladies* - Last time I had my period I almost ate everything in the house, BUT even though I had one or two non paleo friendly treats, I tried mostly to keep it paleo so that I wouldn't trip out on myself. Once I got over it, I was perfectly fine. No harm done.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, just keep going. We all flip out once in a while (I sure do) but you will feel guilty for a bit and then you'll move on. Don't ever think that you've got to be perfect in every way. That's how I used to mess up all my previous diets years ago. Now that I've gone paleo, there's no reason you can't have a treat here and there. And if you lose it at one meal, or in a whole day, don't let it keep you down. Just say to yourself, "at my next meal it's back to normal", and you should be fine.

*For the ladies* - Last time I had my period I almost ate everything in the house, BUT even though I had one or two non paleo friendly treats, I tried mostly to keep it paleo so that I wouldn't trip out on myself. Once I got over it, I was perfectly fine. No harm done.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Absolutely Paleo and very low carb do not have to go together. However, IF you are having frequent "slip ups" and difficulty with adherence, you MAY benefit from a low carb version of Paleo. You should not be spending your "life starving" but if you are active eat more of appropriate foods, especially fat. However, if the need to "hit the carbs" is a reference to craving or over-eating, then a low carb Paleo lifestyle WILL resolve that. But you need to be able to decipher between real hunger and not (a high carb diet makes it hard to tell). If you are under eating, then of course you are hungry. EAT.
  • lesumm3r
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for this response, it's incredible to feel so supported!
    I'm now trying very hard to be super low carb to see if that will work for me; today was much better, I opened the fridge absolutely ravenous to see a packet of biscuits and loads of jam and grapes and every cupboard was rammed with crackers/cereal/bread/crisps but I chose celery and lactofree cheese instead and felt good! I think my slip ups have recently been mainly to do with hormones so my plan is to maintain low carb but factor in 'cheats' so it's a bit 80/20. Thank you everyone for all your kind words and wisdom! It's really helped and I feel a lot less panicky about everything.

In regard to fat, I'm also allergic to coconut and being tested for tree nut allergies so I was wondering if anyone had any advice because I've read it's not good to use olive oil for cooking and my lactofree butter seems to be partly made with vegetable oil whihc I only just realised :(
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    can i just brain storm out loud for a minute? does this happen to you often? slip ups? i wonder if part of it is because you feel restricted... which is understandable since you have so many allergies. I wonder if it would be worth it to you to let yourself have whatever you want that's paleo and within your macros. just focus on eating paleo first, and then you can dial it in. avoiding grapes and stuff can sometimes be the straw that breaks the camel's back, you know? if you don't HAVE to avoid more foods, sometimes it helps to not. i dunno, just thinking out loud :)

for cooking, try animal fats! lard is great. and yummy. and bacon grease! your local butcher can probably sell you lard for cheap, or hit up a local farm.
  • lesumm3r
    Options
    can i just brain storm out loud for a minute? does this happen to you often? slip ups? i wonder if part of it is because you feel restricted... which is understandable since you have so many allergies. I wonder if it would be worth it to you to let yourself have whatever you want that's paleo and within your macros. just focus on eating paleo first, and then you can dial it in. avoiding grapes and stuff can sometimes be the straw that breaks the camel's back, you know? if you don't HAVE to avoid more foods, sometimes it helps to not. i dunno, just thinking out loud :)

for cooking, try animal fats! lard is great. and yummy. and bacon grease! your local butcher can probably sell you lard for cheap, or hit up a local farm.

It only really happens as a result of me being really sick for a couple of months which meant I couldn't really chew or swallow and all I could get in me was pure carb and scrambled eggs with a ton of lacto free milk. As a result I became seriously addicted to carbs because I got so tiny and disgustingly emaciated that my body just craved and craved and craved which led to carb binges on crap like biscuits (which I shouldn't even have been eating) and crisps and potatoes at meals because they're easier to digest (my digestive system also got messed up by super strong pain meds I was on to help me study/sleep/function) so it's just a process I have have to go through to help my body heal because it's pretty ruined right now so I feel that going cold turkey for a while is really the only way to then be able to reintroduce foods at a lower level that is manageable, sustainable and healthy if that makes sense?

Also, in regard to the fat I've finally convinced my mum to buy bacon so that's good :happy:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read what I have to say I really appreciate the advise and consideration!! :happy: